A9 dualling

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

A9Craig

Re: A9 dualling

Post by A9Craig »

We should see Made Orders later today for the entire Glen Garry to Crubenmore section. Once complete this will give around 21 miles of continuous D2 almost in the middle of Perth to Inverness, and along with Tomatin to Moy and the almost complete Luncarty to Pass of Birnam effectively divides the A9 into 3 long D2 stretches and 2 sections of mixed S2/D2 each about 30 miles long. This is how I anticipate (hope) the A9 will look by the end of 2025, with the remaining sections completed by 2030 possibly.
B9127

Post by B9127 »

What is the hold up if any for the Made Orders for the Tay Crossing to Ballinluig section?
Motorways travelled 2019 - M90 - M9 - M80 - M8 -M77 - M73 -A74(M) -M6-M42-M40 -A404(M) - M4 - M5 -M50 -M56 much better so far than last year
A9Craig

Post by A9Craig »

Don’t think there’s a problem with Tay Crossing to Ballinluig getting to Made Orders, it’s just a few months behind going through the statutory processes compared with Tomatin to Moy, Glen Garry to Dalwhinnie and Dalwhinnie to Crubenmore.

I still expect to see Made Orders for Pitlochry to Killiecrankie and Tay Crossing to Ballinluig published this year. The remaining 4 schemes, who knows?
A9Dan

Post by A9Dan »

Made Orders for Glen Garry to Dalwhinnie and Dalwhinnie to Crubenmore were indeed published on Friday 30 July:

https://www.transport.gov.scot/publicat ... -dualling/

I expect this was done quietly as any actual progression of the schemes is subject to the review of the procurement strategy which is now not expected to be announced until the autumn. I expect this is also why Tomatin to Moy procurement has not progressed beyond the initial Prior Information Notice published back on 26 February.

Status of all schemes as of August 2021:

Luncarty to Pass of Birnam: Under construction (started in February 2019, temporarily suspended in 2020 due to coronavirus).

Pass of Birnam to Tay Crossing: Awaiting preferred route announcement following consultation on options developed since the co-creative process.

Tay Crossing to Ballinluig: Decision issued confirming orders on 8 March 2021.

Pitlochry to Killiecrankie: Decision issued confirming orders on 11 February 2020.

Killiecrankie to Glen Garry: Inquiry sessions held over 2 weeks starting 13 January 2020, report now being prepared for Scottish Ministers.

Glen Garry to Dalwhinnie: Made Orders published on 30 July 2021.

Dalwhinnie to Crubenmore: Made Orders published on 30 July 2021.

Crubenmore to Kincraig: Report issued to Scottish Ministers (April 2021).

Kincraig to Dalraddy: Completed (September 2017).

Dalraddy to Schlod: Report issued to Scottish Ministers (April 2021).

Tomatin to Moy: Made Orders published on 26 February 2021.
A9NWIL

Post by A9NWIL »

A9Dan wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:29 Made Orders for Glen Garry to Dalwhinnie and Dalwhinnie to Crubenmore were indeed published on Friday 30 July:

I expect this was done quietly as any actual progression of the schemes is subject to the review of the procurement strategy which is now not expected to be announced until the autumn. I expect this is also why Tomatin to Moy procurement has not progressed beyond the initial Prior Information Notice published back on 26 February.

Status of all schemes as of August 2021:

Luncarty to Pass of Birnam: Under construction (started in February 2019, temporarily suspended in 2020 due to coronavirus).

Pass of Birnam to Tay Crossing: Awaiting preferred route announcement following consultation on options developed since the co-creative process.

Tay Crossing to Ballinluig: Decision issued confirming orders on 8 March 2021.

Pitlochry to Killiecrankie: Decision issued confirming orders on 11 February 2020.

Killiecrankie to Glen Garry: Inquiry sessions held over 2 weeks starting 13 January 2020, report now being prepared for Scottish Ministers.

Glen Garry to Dalwhinnie: Made Orders published on 30 July 2021.

Dalwhinnie to Crubenmore: Made Orders published on 30 July 2021.

Crubenmore to Kincraig: Report issued to Scottish Ministers (April 2021).

Kincraig to Dalraddy: Completed (September 2017).

Dalraddy to Schlod: Report issued to Scottish Ministers (April 2021).

Tomatin to Moy: Made Orders published on 26 February 2021.
I take it that the ones with made orders will be likely to start say next year?
Formerly known as 'lortjw'
justanotheruser

Post by justanotheruser »

It looks to be about a year - I went through all the pages in this thread and tried to put together a timescale on my spreadsheet - a little hard for me not familiar with terminologies and changing ones at that - see below, a snippet out from the larger table of info on the A9 progress using info in the pages by various posters in the thread.

Happy to be corrected on any errors or missing info (PM me).
A9 processes
A9 processes
B9127

Post by B9127 »

Sorry to harp on about this but if the Made Orders came through shortly for Tay Crossing to Ballinluig I consider that a tender invitation for the the only structure could be processed for construction during 2022 as an advance work to enable easier construction of the main works in 2022/2023 - am I barking up the wrong tree?
Motorways travelled 2019 - M90 - M9 - M80 - M8 -M77 - M73 -A74(M) -M6-M42-M40 -A404(M) - M4 - M5 -M50 -M56 much better so far than last year
Burns

Post by Burns »

Once they build Tay Crossing to Ballinluig, the Fenniston bend will be gone. :cry:
clc

Post by clc »

The Guardian is reporting that the SNP and Scottish Green Party are close to agreeing a formal deal with the Greens being given ministerial positions. I suspect this will have implications for the A9 dualling programme in terms of timescale, which is likely to be longer than originally envisioned.
jackal

Post by jackal »

I don't know if this is really the place for it, but a study on the (already dualled) A9 between North Kessock and Tore was published earlier this year. It's pretty inconclusive but mentions long term options for a roundabout or grade separation at Munlochy junction.

Report: https://www.transport.gov.scot/media/49 ... dy-wsp.pdf
Local press: https://www.ross-shirejournal.co.uk/new ... on-232728/
A9NWIL

Post by A9NWIL »

clc wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 13:41 The Guardian is reporting that the SNP and Scottish Green Party are close to agreeing a formal deal with the Greens being given ministerial positions. I suspect this will have implications for the A9 dualling programme in terms of timescale, which is likely to be longer than originally envisioned.
The schemes already at made orders though have already passed ministerial approval though, its the others that could be an issue. So it looks like 5 schemes should go ahead soon as they have passed the ministerial approval stage already, 3 even passing made orders stage. The other 4 I agree the Greens are likely to delay them and we could see them not starting until after 2026.
Euan

Post by Euan »

I think Luncarty to Pass of Birnam reached the Made Orders stage around December 2016 with construction completion due around the end of this year, so a period of around five years despite disruption for a few months in 2020. We would probably be looking at the Tomatin, Glen Garry and Crubenmore schemes being complete by some time during 2025 and comfortably before 2026. Taking the approval of the Ballinluig and Killiecrankie schemes into account as well, it would probably be quite a few years before any wider suspension of the A9 project might be noticed on the ground and it would most likely be felt after 2026 if anything.
E-roads, M-roads, A-roads, N-roads, B-roads, R-roads, C-roads, L-roads, U-roads, footpaths
A9Dan

Post by A9Dan »

lotrjw wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 01:44So it looks like 5 schemes should go ahead soon as they have passed the ministerial approval stage already
They do still need to have funding approved though and I expect the Greens will have some resistance to this when it comes to budget time unless some deal is done as a result of the current talks.
lotrjw wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 01:44The other 4 I agree the Greens are likely to delay them and we could see them not starting until after 2026.
Of those four I can see the Greens strongly opposing the two controversial schemes. The current issues with Stonehenge are likely to provide grounds for strong opposition to Killiekrankie to Glen Garry and Pass of Birnam to Tay Crossing has considerable public opposition (which is why it does not even have a preferred route yet). In the case of Pass of Birnam to Tay Crossing, even without any political opposition I cannot see the scheme starting much before 2026t given that it has to get through Preferred Route announcement, DMRB 3, Draft Orders, Public Local Enquiry sessions, report preparation and submission, ministerial decision, Made Orders, procurement and any legal challenge before any construction can start.
orudge
Site Manager

Post by orudge »

jackal wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 15:24 I don't know if this is really the place for it, but a study on the (already dualled) A9 between North Kessock and Tore was published earlier this year. It's pretty inconclusive but mentions long term options for a roundabout or grade separation at Munlochy junction.
The dualling project as a whole did specify that the existing stretches of D2, at least between Perth and Inverness, would be considered for improvements. I seem to recall something about Dunblane - Perth being mentioned too, though that may have just been in the STPR.
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

A9Dan wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:14
lotrjw wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 01:44So it looks like 5 schemes should go ahead soon as they have passed the ministerial approval stage already
They do still need to have funding approved though and I expect the Greens will have some resistance to this when it comes to budget time unless some deal is done as a result of the current talks.
lotrjw wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 01:44The other 4 I agree the Greens are likely to delay them and we could see them not starting until after 2026.
Of those four I can see the Greens strongly opposing the two controversial schemes. The current issues with Stonehenge are likely to provide grounds for strong opposition to Killiekrankie to Glen Garry and Pass of Birnam to Tay Crossing has considerable public opposition (which is why it does not even have a preferred route yet). In the case of Pass of Birnam to Tay Crossing, even without any political opposition I cannot see the scheme starting much before 2026t given that it has to get through Preferred Route announcement, DMRB 3, Draft Orders, Public Local Enquiry sessions, report preparation and submission, ministerial decision, Made Orders, procurement and any legal challenge before any construction can start.
The Greens would probably like the route downgraded to a bridleway.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
A9NWIL

Post by A9NWIL »

Chris Bertram wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:33
https://bit.ly/3joVLN4
Well thats totally impractical even for them to suggest, as too many people live in the Highlands that rely heavily on that road link to even contemplate such a thing.
B9127

Post by B9127 »

I still think that the Conservatives would back the SNP on the A9 and even some Labour as well
Mikehannah

Post by Mikehannah »

lotrjw wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 14:26
Chris Bertram wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:33
https://bit.ly/3joVLN4

Well thats totally impractical even for them to suggest, as too many people live in the Highlands that rely heavily on that road link to even contemplate such a thing.
Since when has reality and common sense ever been a problem to the greens?
Duncan macknight
Committee Member

Post by Duncan macknight »

Drove through Luncarty to Birnam today, looks almost done. Just a few finishing touches, some signs to put up and we should have a nice Long Dualled approach to Perth!
Mikehannah

Post by Mikehannah »

B9127 wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 20:47 I still think that the Conservatives would back the SNP on the A9 and even some Labour as well
I agree , if the budget for the roads are put to a vote .