A9 dualling

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Euan

Re: A9 dualling

Post by Euan »

David D Miller wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 15:39 Planning approval has been granted for replacement roadside services at the new A9 Tomatin junction. House of Bruar getting some competition, at last!
https://www.scottishconstructionnow.com ... n-junction

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Other than the House of Bruar there really isn't that much in the way of roadside services on the A9 at all between Perth and Inverness. For drivers not familiar with the area, it can be a very long way to drive without any dedicated stops. It is fine for regular users of the road who know all the best places for a quick break in Pitlochry or in Aviemore. However many people using the road as a first will most likely be left to their own devices to find somewhere to stop at in one of the villages with not much guidance.
E-roads, M-roads, A-roads, N-roads, B-roads, R-roads, C-roads, L-roads, U-roads, footpaths
Halmyre

Post by Halmyre »

Euan wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 16:04
David D Miller wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 15:39 Planning approval has been granted for replacement roadside services at the new A9 Tomatin junction. House of Bruar getting some competition, at last!
https://www.scottishconstructionnow.com ... n-junction

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Other than the House of Bruar there really isn't that much in the way of roadside services on the A9 at all between Perth and Inverness. For drivers not familiar with the area, it can be a very long way to drive without any dedicated stops. It is fine for regular users of the road who know all the best places for a quick break in Pitlochry or in Aviemore. However many people using the road as a first will most likely be left to their own devices to find somewhere to stop at in one of the villages with not much guidance.
The lack of roadside services was a deliberate decision in order to stop the various by-passed towns from losing out financially.

I would hesitate to describe the House of Grue as a 'services'. If I'm in the vicinity and needing refreshment the Mill at Blair Atholl just a few miles down the road is infinitely better, although getting a seat can be problematic.
Berk

Post by Berk »

^^Will that attitude persist once the character of the A9 changes after it's dualled??

Not criticising it particularly, I’ve never been one for service joints.
Duncan macknight
Committee Member

Post by Duncan macknight »

Berk wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 19:31 ^^Will that attitude persist once the character of the A9 changes after it's dualled??

Looking at the history of broxden didn’t offer much hope on the matter.
Broxden services took til the late 80s to be built due to the Services policy and the 90s to be up to the current layout. Most of the services are all signposted as “Local Services” but it does sometimes take a bit of exploring to find it.
Euan

Post by Euan »

Although there may have been concern about the local villages becoming dormant at the time of the original upgrade of the A9, this would have been before the tourist industry in the Highlands of Scotland really took off the way it has done in recent years. Now it seems that many villages are thriving with tourism and I doubt that this would be deterred in any way by the dualling of the A9 and any new service areas that come with it, if anything it might encourage more people to come to the Highlands via the A9.
E-roads, M-roads, A-roads, N-roads, B-roads, R-roads, C-roads, L-roads, U-roads, footpaths
A9Dan

Post by A9Dan »

The Public Local Inquiry for the Glen Garry to Dalwhinnie section will start on 19 February 2019.

There are four outstanding statutory objections (plus one non-statuory objection) so I don't think this will take much time at all. It has been a little surprising that Dalwhinnie to Crubenmore wasn't referred for a PLI at the same time so that a single procurement could be used for both schemes (unless Dalwhinninie to Crubenmore will get to Made Orders without a PLI).

Full note the pre-examination meeting available at https://www.dpea.scotland.gov.uk/CaseDe ... ?ID=119854
Altnabreac

Post by Altnabreac »

I see that Dalwhinnie to Crubenmore has also been passed to the DPEA now. It's jumped past Killiecrankie to Glen Garry in the queue with that scheme undergoing the extra archaeological work prior to being referred to the DPEA.

Pre-Inquiry hearing date for Pitlochry - Killiecrankie is also set for 5 December so I'd expect the hearing for that scheme to take place around March 2019.

Complete
A9 Kincraig - Dalraddy (September 2017)

Under Construction
none

Contract Let
A9 Luncarty - Pass of Birnam (August 2018)

Procurement Underway
none

Made Orders Published
none

Public Local Inquiry (PLI) date set for hearing
A9 Glen Garry to Dalwhinnie (February 2019) https://www.dpea.scotland.gov.uk/CaseDe ... ?ID=119863

Public Local Inquiry (PLI) ordered
A9 Pitlochry to Killiecrankie (August 2018) https://www.dpea.scotland.gov.uk/CaseDe ... ?ID=119865
A9 Dalwhinnie to Crubenmore (November 2018) https://www.dpea.scotland.gov.uk/CaseDe ... ?ID=120011
Killiecrankie to Glen Garry also reported informally to be going to PLI

Draft Orders published - Exhibition feedback published
A9 Killiecrankie to Glen Garry (November 2017) - Exhibition responses published March 2018

Draft Orders published - Exhibition held
A9 Tomatin to Moy (June 2018) https://www.transport.gov.scot/publicat ... -dualling/
A9 Tay Crossing to Ballinluig (August 2018) https://www.transport.gov.scot/publicat ... -dualling/
A9 Dalraddy to Slochd (September 2018) - https://www.transport.gov.scot/publicat ... -dualling/
A9 Crubenmore to Kincraig (October 2018) - https://www.transport.gov.scot/publicat ... -dualling/

Draft Orders published
none

DMRB Stage 3 exhibition held (Interim detailed design consultation)
none

DMRB Stage 2 (Preferred Route) designs published
none

Co-creative Process (community engagement on different options)
A9 Pass of Birnam to Tay Crossing (completed August 2018)

TS suggesting A9 Pass of Birnam to Tay Crossing will see a preferred route in late 2018 or early 2019.

Construction Time Estimates:
Luncarty - Pass of Birnam - 22 months
Tay Crossing to Ballinluig 2 - 2.5 years
Pitlochry to Killiecrankie 3 - 3.5 years
Killiecrankie to Glen Garry 3 - 3.5 years
Glen Garry to Dalwhinnie and Dalwhinnie to Crubenmore 3 - 3.5 years
Crubenmore - Kincraig 3.5 years
Dalraddy to Slochd 4.5 years

Next progress to look out for will be the publishing of the Exhibition feedback from Tomatin - Moy and a PLI being ordered for Killiecrankie to Glen Garry.
A9Dan

Post by A9Dan »

Altnabreac wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 13:40 I see that Dalwhinnie to Crubenmore has also been passed to the DPEA now.
Looks like it has only just been put up on the website. I am still quite surprised that they didn't refer it earlier since now they will either have to run separate procurements or delay one while the other goes through the PLI.
Altnabreac

Post by Altnabreac »

A9Dan wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 13:53
Altnabreac wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 13:40 I see that Dalwhinnie to Crubenmore has also been passed to the DPEA now.
Looks like it has only just been put up on the website. I am still quite surprised that they didn't refer it earlier since now they will either have to run separate procurements or delay one while the other goes through the PLI.
I think its simpler to get the schemes through the DPEA process in small chunks. If it is only 3-4 months behind in getting Made Orders then there is no reason why they can't be combined for procurement.
paully

Post by paully »

Duncan macknight wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 19:57
Berk wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 19:31 ^^Will that attitude persist once the character of the A9 changes after it's dualled??

Looking at the history of broxden didn’t offer much hope on the matter.
Broxden services took til the late 80s to be built due to the Services policy and the 90s to be up to the current layout. Most of the services are all signposted as “Local Services” but it does sometimes take a bit of exploring to find it.
Broxden Services didn't exist until the late 90s, not the late 80s. It's also worth mentioning the Ralia café/toilets near Newtonmore (though there is no fuel here) since it's about the only other stopping point that isn't in a town/village.
Euan

Post by Euan »

Altnabreac wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 13:40 Under Construction
none

Contract Let
A9 Luncarty - Pass of Birnam (August 2018)
Presumably preparing the land on the Luncarty - Pass of Birnam section (e.g. cutting down any obstructing trees) is not regarded as part of the construction process for the section. If that is the case then would it be correct that the projected 22 month construction period refers to the estimated completion time from once the land is fully inspected, prepared and ready for laying down the new carriageway?
B9127

Post by B9127 »

https://www.transport.gov.scot/news/a9- ... am-update/ I assume spade in the ground and the clock is ticking - as an aside the Courier has noted 'Weeks of frustration for drivers on the A9' usual positivety from DCT
Motorways travelled 2019 - M90 - M9 - M80 - M8 -M77 - M73 -A74(M) -M6-M42-M40 -A404(M) - M4 - M5 -M50 -M56 much better so far than last year
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

Euan wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 16:04 Other than the House of Bruar there really isn't that much in the way of roadside services on the A9 at all between Perth and Inverness. For drivers not familiar with the area, it can be a very long way to drive without any dedicated stops. It is fine for regular users of the road who know all the best places for a quick break in Pitlochry or in Aviemore. However many people using the road as a first will most likely be left to their own devices to find somewhere to stop at in one of the villages with not much guidance.
If you need a meal and rest stop Ralia Cafe is a pretty good option. I have never really understood why there are no proper services around there. As a traveller the message you get when driving the A9 is 'stay away we don't want you'

The signage at Aviemore is ridiculous, its almost as if they were trying to hide it. Being in a remote area is no excuse , in Minnesota or Canada you would start seeing signs telling you what was available miles away. Protecting local businesses does not work if you do not know they are there !
Euan

Post by Euan »

B9127 wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 08:52 https://www.transport.gov.scot/news/a9- ... am-update/ I assume spade in the ground and the clock is ticking - as an aside the Courier has noted 'Weeks of frustration for drivers on the A9' usual positivety from DCT
Yes, by the looks of things proper construction will be underway in "early 2019". Whether that means January 2019 remains to be seen, but using the 22 month timescale late 2020 would seem like a realistic completion date for the section. Who knows, it may even be completed sooner if everything goes to plan.
Altnabreac

Post by Altnabreac »

Balfour Beatty doing some community events ahead of Luncarty - Birnam work starting:
https://www.transport.gov.scot/news/a9- ... or-invite/

Confirms the January 2019 start date for the works.
A9 Dualling Project Meet The Contractor’ invite
Balfour Beatty, the contractor responsible for the design and construction of the next stage of the A9 Dualling programme between Luncarty and the Pass of Birnam, is extending an open invitation to local residents to learn about the major construction works scheduled to begin in the coming months.

The works are part of the Scottish Government’s £96m investment in the A9 Dualling: Luncarty to Pass of Birnam Project.

Balfour Beatty will offer the residents of Luncarty, Stanley and Bankfoot, the opportunity to meet with key people involved in the project to hear first-hand how this significant infrastructure project will benefit the surrounding communities.

Three informal drop-in day events will provide residents with the opportunity to view the contractor’s plans of the new road layout and provide an overview of the construction works scheduled for the months ahead.

The events will be supported by senior team members from Balfour Beatty, Atkins and Jacobs as well as representatives from Transport Scotland, who will be on hand to answer any questions the community may have about the project.

Details of the drop in sessions are as follows:

• Bankfoot Church Centre – 3rd December 2018 – 1:00pm until 8:00pm
• Stanley Village Hall – 10th December 2018 – 1:00pm until 8:00pm
• Luncarty Church Centre – 11th December 2018 – 1:00pm until 8:00pm

Alan Brisbane, Balfour Beatty Project Manager for the A9 Dualling: Luncarty to Pass of Birnam Project, said:

“These community focused events are being held in preparation for works beginning in earnest in January 2019, and will provide an opportunity for us to share key elements of the scheme with local people.

“The events will cover various topics including: traffic management; environment and ecology; our programme of works; and our plans for community and stakeholder engagement.

“We are committed to keeping both local residents and road users informed of our planned works and will endeavour to minimise disruption as far as is practically possible as we up-grade this essential infrastructure.”

Balfour Beatty will provide regular community updates as the project progresses, offering every opportunity to raise any questions directly with the project team.

In addition, the contractor has set up a dedicated 24/7 enquiry line should any members of the public wish to discuss any aspect of the project in more detail. The contact details for the Community Liaison Team is: 0800 193 7313.

On completion of the Luncarty to Pass of Birnam Project, road users will benefit from 15km of continuous dual carriageway from Inveralmond roundabout in Perth to the Pass of Birnam.

The construction of 9.5km of new dual carriageway will include the creation of four new overbridges to maintain local access across the A9, the widening of one existing underbridge and the provision of a new side road bridge.

As a result, the safety of the A9 will be improved by replacing at-grade junctions with grade-separated junctions and providing safer overtaking opportunities along the route. Together, these improvements will reduce driver stress whilst improving journey times and overall operational effectiveness.
Euan

Post by Euan »

That is good news. Hopefully the details being discussed at the local events will be shared with longer distance road users as well. Once the works are underway I would expect to see similar traffic restrictions in place to those seen during the Kincraig - Dalraddy project, with temporary through routes marked by cones wherever the existing carriageway switches to the other side of the new D2 layout.
Euan

Post by Euan »

Discussion about the A9 on another thread has reminded me of something, so I will talk about it here.

As many will be aware, the laybys on the A9 between Perth and the Cromarty Firth are numbered starting at 1 just north of Inveralmond Roundabout and ending on 202 at the north end of the Cromarty Bridge. Will the dualling of all the S2 sections between Perth and Inverness have an effect on these layby numbers, or are there any official plans regarding the laybys?

I have noticed on the upgraded Kincraig-Dalraddy section that the laybys are a bit more sparse than they were before, but they are unnumbered. If that is the plan for every section of the A9 then eventually we are going to end up with a few short sections of numbered laybys equating to the sections that were already D2 and followed by continuous numbering from Moy northwards.
orudge
Site Manager

Post by orudge »

I suppose the lay-bys could always be (re)numbered pretty easily once the project as a whole is finished, if it's felt to be beneficial.
Euan

Post by Euan »

orudge wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:47 I suppose the lay-bys could always be (re)numbered pretty easily once the project as a whole is finished, if it's felt to be beneficial.
I was half thinking that. The only issue would be with the laybys north of Inverness, they would most likely have to be renumbered to maintain consistency with the new laybys. Either that or the numbers could just be removed from every layby north of Inverness. Draft layby numbers could very well be already planned for when the entire road is dualled, provided it is known how many laybys each section of the project is to have.
IAN

Post by IAN »

It's rather like renumbering motorway junctions, it may be important to some of the Sabristi but it's hardly a priority or worthy of great expenditure. What does it matter if there are gaps in numbering,as long as all the numbers are different - presumably the laybys are numbered in order for drivers to give information re their location in the case of breakdown or accident.

Ian (M5 Driver)
AKA M5 Driver