A9 dualling

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Glen
Social Media Admin

Re: A9 dualling

Post by Glen »

The last I heard was the road will be open for the August bank holiday weekend with other work to be finished after then.
Traffic is now running on the second carriageway, so the temporary alignments on the first carriageway are being finished off, but there's still other work like barriers and parapets to be installed.
A9Craig

Post by A9Craig »

So far I'm not that impressed with how this project has been executed. 2 years to add an additional carriageway that required no GSJs seems excessive. Also there are several sections where both carriageways are unnecessarily at different elevations and gravel used on the central reservation banks which will surely wash away in time.
Glen
Social Media Admin

Post by Glen »

I don't know how you were expecting a parallel widening scheme to be carried out, other than by constructing a new carriageway next to the existing road, swapping two-way traffic onto that, then constructing the second carriageway.

Most of the A9 dualling schemes are likely to constructed in much the same way.
Burns

Post by Burns »

The point seems to be that the works have taken what seems to be quite a long time. Presumably, if the whole road is to be fully dualled by 2025, there are going to have to be concurrent sections under construction?
GrahameCase

Post by GrahameCase »

Looks like another head on collision today in the Kincraig work area

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-h ... s-40470133

There was one in April as well, the no overtaking signs are very noticable throughout the works, but is the roadwork layout adding to confusion? People not expecting traffic to be heading toward them on a dual carriageway?
——
Roads Geek primarily focused on Scotland
/ owner of a 7 year old laptop that doubles as a top spec gaming pc
Duncan macknight
Committee Member

Post by Duncan macknight »

I don't see why people get confused as there are signs well in advance telling you to "slow down", "Roadworks" and many many cones at the side of the road including men working at the side.
Osthagen

Post by Osthagen »

The crash looked pretty bad to me. They've had to close the A9 in both directions now around Kincraig.
"I see the face of a child. He lives in a great city. He is black. Or he is white. He is Mexican, Italian, Polish. None of that matters. What matters, he's an American child"
- Richard Nixon
B9127

Post by B9127 »

If Luncarty to Pass of Birnam is to start before the year end what is the update on contract procurement or does the 32 of December count?
Motorways travelled 2019 - M90 - M9 - M80 - M8 -M77 - M73 -A74(M) -M6-M42-M40 -A404(M) - M4 - M5 -M50 -M56 much better so far than last year
Glen
Social Media Admin

Post by Glen »

The industry day presentation from April says the contract will be awarded in February.
Screenshot_20170801-171534.png
B9127

Post by B9127 »

So the programme is slipping already or is just they don't want a winter start?
Motorways travelled 2019 - M90 - M9 - M80 - M8 -M77 - M73 -A74(M) -M6-M42-M40 -A404(M) - M4 - M5 -M50 -M56 much better so far than last year
Duncan macknight
Committee Member

Post by Duncan macknight »

The overtaking lane has been (almost) resurfaced and some road signs are appearing at the north end. They are a bit pedantic i.e. End of dual carriageway 460 yds
novaecosse

Post by novaecosse »

Duncan macknight wrote:The overtaking lane has been (almost) resurfaced and some road signs are appearing at the north end. They are a bit pedantic i.e. End of dual carriageway 460 yds
That's a bit precise... 1/4 mile would have sufficed :lol:
Nwallace

Post by Nwallace »

novaecosse wrote:
Duncan macknight wrote:The overtaking lane has been (almost) resurfaced and some road signs are appearing at the north end. They are a bit pedantic i.e. End of dual carriageway 460 yds
That's a bit precise... 1/4 mile would have sufficed :lol:
Preparation for metrication obviously, only need to replace 3 letters with a wonky m :P
FtoE

Post by FtoE »

Driving down today I noticed the (I presume, because you could see patches of blue under the covers) 'Dual carriageway 2 miles / 1 mile / ahead' signs.
The signs looked a bit different - then realised they had one thick central support post rather than two thinner side ones. Don't know if this is a new 'thing' or not.
Glen
Social Media Admin

Post by Glen »

The signs are on passively safe posts.
haggishunter

Post by haggishunter »

I had a wee peek under the covers at the blue signs.
A9Msign.png
A9Msign.png (11.13 KiB) Viewed 1412 times
Stravaiger

Post by Stravaiger »

Any word of when road is going to open yet? I believe the original contract specified 22 months- if this is correct, they are now into extra time....
novaecosse

Post by novaecosse »

Glen wrote:The signs are on passively safe posts.
Hopefully not circular section poles in sleeves... they have a habit of turning in the wind and shaking themselves down the poles.

It's not passively safe for our crews to visit sites after every stiff breeze to turn signs the right way round :lol:
Glen
Social Media Admin

Post by Glen »

novaecosse wrote:Hopefully not circular section poles in sleeves... they have a habit of turning in the wind and shaking themselves down the poles.

It's not passively safe for our crews to visit sites after every stiff breeze to turn signs the right way round :lol:
I've noticed that with large signs on single Jerol poles, that the sections of the sign face end up misaligned if they turn on the pole.
The ones used on Kincraig to Dalraddy are aluminium Optimast posts.
A9Craig

Post by A9Craig »

Stravaiger wrote:Any word of when road is going to open yet? I believe the original contract specified 22 months- if this is correct, they are now into extra time....
Was along it today and August bank holiday looks unlikely. Still constructing parapets and other work to be done on the southbound carriageway. The NMU shared path is far from finished.

The WS2+1 has been resurfaced as S2 but no white lining yet. The extra bit on the west side has been planed and will presumably be covered with something until Crubenmore - Kincraig is dualled.