A9 dualling

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

A72

Re: A9 dualling

Post by A72 »

Euan wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 23:24
Norfolktolancashire wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 19:19
Euan wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 21:18 I do hope that we end up with a sensible alternative to the proposed at-grade roundabout at Dunkeld. Relocating the railway station seems like a good idea - and the move would not be as potentially disruptive as it would if it were another busier station such as Pitlochry or Aviemore which are called at by virtually every train service rather than only some services.
Maybe a bit of publicity in the possible development of service area/fast food restaurants would sway the locals to a GSJ instead?
I'm sure it was noted upthread, but I think the Perth - Inverness A9 corridor was intentionally left without any typical service areas during the original upgrade of the road so that it would not take business away from the towns and villages that were being bypassed.

If anything I think that a grade separated junction at Dunkeld might encourage more people to go into Dunkeld than there would be if there was an at-grade roundabout as it would be much easier to access the village without there being too much congestion at the junction.
I was in Dunkeld, yesterday. The 'steak pie supper' that I was served, at the local chippy, should be punishable by Dunkeld having neither a roundabout, nor a GSJ. Just cut the place off, completely, and see how long the locals support businesses that are just out to grab the visitor's money.

Sorry. It was that, or cry-havoc, on TripAdvisor.
The 7-Zone Challenge
A roads: 71/71
B roads: 181/181
Total: 252/252

Completed: 04/11/20.
Berk

Post by Berk »

Zone 9 really is the frozen wasteland. :twisted:
Ruperts Trooper

Post by Ruperts Trooper »

Euan wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 21:18 I do hope that we end up with a sensible alternative to the proposed at-grade roundabout at Dunkeld. Relocating the railway station seems like a good idea - and the move would not be as potentially disruptive as it would if it were another busier station such as Pitlochry or Aviemore which are called at by virtually every train service rather than only some services.
Maybe a bit of publicity in the possible development of service area/fast food restaurants would sway the locals to a GSJ instead?
I'm sure it was noted upthread, but I think the Perth - Inverness A9 corridor was intentionally left without any typical service areas during the original upgrade of the road so that it would not take business away from the towns and villages that were being bypassed.

If anything I think that a grade separated junction at Dunkeld might encourage more people to go into Dunkeld than there would be if there was an at-grade roundabout as it would be much easier to access the village without there being too much congestion at the junction.
Is the original policy still in place? Many think it was a mistake.
Lifelong motorhead
Duncan macknight
Committee Member

Post by Duncan macknight »

Ruperts Trooper wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 09:18 Is the original policy still in place? Many think it was a mistake.
Given than no services exist on the mainline A9 to this day I’m guessing it’s still in enforcement or a variant of it exists
Euan

Post by Euan »

A72 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 02:52

I was in Dunkeld, yesterday. The 'steak pie supper' that I was served, at the local chippy, should be punishable by Dunkeld having neither a roundabout, nor a GSJ. Just cut the place off, completely, and see how long the locals support businesses that are just out to grab the visitor's money.

Sorry to hear that!

It should be remembered as well that accessing Dunkeld will also depend on the plans for the Tay Crossing - Ballinluig section where the old A9 through Dunkeld meets the current one, so with a slight detour the chippy will still be available to the more curious of travellers.
Ruperts Trooper

Post by Ruperts Trooper »

Duncan macknight wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:02
Ruperts Trooper wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 09:18 Is the original policy still in place? Many think it was a mistake.
Given than no services exist on the mainline A9 to this day I’m guessing it’s still in enforcement or a variant of it exists
There is Ralia but I take your point.
Lifelong motorhead
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

A72 wrote: I was in Dunkeld, yesterday. The 'steak pie supper' that I was served, at the local chippy, should be punishable by Dunkeld having neither a roundabout, nor a GSJ. Just cut the place off, completely, and see how long the locals support businesses that are just out to grab the visitor's money.

Mmm, me and Haydn had a nice meal at Darjeeling restaurant there a few years ago. The fact that I collapsed in the B&B a few hours later smashing the side of my face is in no way the responsibility of that establishment.
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
A9Dan

Post by A9Dan »

Tay Crossing to Ballinuig now with the DPEA.
Altnabreac

Post by Altnabreac »

Tay Crossing to Ballinluig has now also appeared on the DPEA website. No documents yet for either it or Killiecrankie to Glen Garry that was posted earlier in March.

Complete
A9 Kincraig - Dalraddy (September 2017)

Under Construction
A9 Luncarty - Pass of Birnam (February 2019)

Contract Let
none

Procurement Underway
none

Made Orders Published
none

Public Local Inquiry (PLI) report with Ministers
A9 Glen Garry to Dalwhinnie (February 2019) https://www.dpea.scotland.gov.uk/CaseDe ... ?ID=119863
2 objections (1 statutory landowner, 1 non-statutory) being dealt with by written submission.

Public Local Inquiry (PLI) report being written
A9 Pitlochry to Killiecrankie (March 2019) https://www.dpea.scotland.gov.uk/CaseDe ... ?ID=119865
2 objections (1 statutory landowner, 1 non-statutory) being dealt with by written submission.

Public Local Inquiry (PLI) Hearing sessions date set
None

Public Local Inquiry (PLI) pre-inquiry meeting occurred
A9 Dalwhinnie to Crubenmore (26 March 2019) https://www.dpea.scotland.gov.uk/CaseDe ... ?ID=120011
Reporter appointed Jan 19. 4 objections remain, 2 landowners, 1 utility, 1 non statutory (Transform Scotland).
SSE objection partially withdrawn March 2019. Inquiry date proposed for late May

Public Local Inquiry (PLI) ordered
A9 Tomatin to Moy (January 2019) https://www.dpea.scotland.gov.uk/CaseDe ... ?id=120174
Reporter appointed Feb 19. 11 objections remain, 8 landowners, 2 utility, 1 non statutory (Transform Scotland).
A9 Killiecrankie to Glen Garry (March 2019) - https://www.dpea.scotland.gov.uk/CaseDe ... ?ID=120283
Objections not yet published.
A9 Tay Crossing to Ballinluig (March 2019) - https://www.dpea.scotland.gov.uk/CaseDe ... ?ID=120312
Objections not yet published.

Dalraddy to Slochd and Crubenmore to Kincraig expected to be going to PLI in "Spring 2019" in TS letter to Network Rail from October 2018.

Draft Orders published - Exhibition feedback published
A9 Dalraddy to Slochd (September 2018) - Exhibition responses published October 2018

Draft Orders published - Exhibition held
A9 Crubenmore to Kincraig (October 2018) - https://www.transport.gov.scot/publicat ... -dualling/

Draft Orders published
none

DMRB Stage 3 exhibition held (Interim detailed design consultation)
none

DMRB Stage 2 (Preferred Route) designs published
none

Pre Stage 2 Route Design Options exhibition
A9 Pass of Birnam to Tay Crossing (March 2019)- https://www.transport.gov.scot/publicat ... -dualling/

Construction Time Estimates:
Luncarty - Pass of Birnam - 22 months
Tay Crossing to Ballinluig 2 - 2.5 years
Pitlochry to Killiecrankie 3 - 3.5 years
Killiecrankie to Glen Garry 3 - 3.5 years
Glen Garry to Dalwhinnie and Dalwhinnie to Crubenmore 3 - 3.5 years
Crubenmore - Kincraig 3.5 years
Dalraddy to Slochd 4.5 years
Tomatin to Moy 2.5 - 3 years
cb a1

Post by cb a1 »

Duncan macknight wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:02
The national policy was removed in August 2005 [see paragraph 82 of SPP17].
SPP17 wrote:On the reconstructed A9 from Inveralmond (Perth) to Ardullie on the Cromarty Firth there has been a long-standing national policy embodied in structure plans of restricting service facilities to those provided in the bypassed settlements. In the years since A9 reconstruction was completed the bypassed settlements have adapted their economies to this new role quite successfully. The Councils involved have adopted policies regarding A9 facilities. The national oversight of this policy is therefore withdrawn ...
There may still be local policies in place.
Education makes the wise slightly wiser, but it makes the fool vastly more dangerous. N. Taleb
We tend to demand impossible standards of proof from our opponents but accept any old rubbish to support our beliefs.
The human paradox that is common sense
The Backfire Effect
IanM

Post by IanM »

3D visualisation of the Community Preferred Route for the Pass of Birnam to Tay Crossing section of the A9 Dualling Programme

Berk

Post by Berk »

Nowt much wrong with that. Could easily be flown over. :thumbsup:

Perhaps a compromise can be reached: allow this roundabout as long as the A9 is flown over it.
A9Craig

Post by A9Craig »

You've got to hand it to Transport Scotland and Jacobs, they're doing a fantastic job of pretending to take the community option seriously.
A9NWIL

Post by A9NWIL »

Berk wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 16:22 Nowt much wrong with that. Could easily be flown over. :thumbsup:

Perhaps a compromise can be reached: allow this roundabout as long as the A9 is flown over it.
I agree its more than big enough!
Formerly known as 'lortjw'
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

I've improved the geometry for the A9 northern approach at the bottom right of the image which should stop lorries tipping over.

Seriously though, I'm disappointed to see the roundabout is still being considered and although the size and shape makes it easy to GSJ the south facing slips would have to merge very close to the tunnel portal.
Attachments
a9.jpg
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
Euan

Post by Euan »

Berk wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 16:22 Nowt much wrong with that. Could easily be flown over. :thumbsup:

I reckon that if the A9 was going to be built over the roundabout the roundabout's third lane would not be necessary - it would only be dealing with local traffic rather than the main traffic on the A9. Of course removing the third lane would provide even more space for building a flyover above the roundabout.
E-roads, M-roads, A-roads, N-roads, B-roads, R-roads, C-roads, L-roads, U-roads, footpaths
A9NWIL

Post by A9NWIL »

Euan wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 22:42

I reckon that if the A9 was going to be built over the roundabout the roundabout's third lane would not be necessary - it would only be dealing with local traffic rather than the main traffic on the A9. Of course removing the third lane would provide even more space for building a flyover above the roundabout.
In fact the roundabout slip roads to and from the A9 would likely only need 1 lane that is 1 & 1/2 width of a normal lane, except where stacking space is needed when joining the roundabout, so turning left and right is easy. The stacking lanes likely would only need to be 10-15 metres long, I cant see that traffic for the minor roads would need any more than that.
Formerly known as 'lortjw'
GrahameCase

Post by GrahameCase »

Transport scotland have just published a video showing proposed construction of Pass of Birnham to Tay Crossing cut and cover tunnel.

https://youtu.be/ne_sHUNOs2I

Looks like this might dissuade any community members when they realise how much disruption and noise it’ll cause
——
Roads Geek primarily focused on Scotland
/ owner of a 7 year old laptop that doubles as a top spec gaming pc
Altnabreac

Post by Altnabreac »

GrahameCase wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:54 Transport scotland have just published a video showing proposed construction of Pass of Birnham to Tay Crossing cut and cover tunnel.

https://youtu.be/ne_sHUNOs2I

Looks like this might dissuade any community members when they realise how much disruption and noise it’ll cause
The community event panels talked a lot about the need for years of noisy piling in that option and how it could be unpopular with the neighbouring properties.
Duncan macknight
Committee Member

Post by Duncan macknight »

They Could just leave Dunkeld and it might become a A9 Hindhead Bowl like the A3 was for many years.

Thinking about it thou if it was left, considering traffic flows, it wouldn’t be much of an issue as the road would have the same alignment as the dual carriageway but it would be very odd.

Still hate that damn roundabout they’re proposing.