A9 dualling

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Stravaiger

Re: A9 dualling

Post by Stravaiger »

A9Craig wrote:
Stravaiger wrote:Any word of when road is going to open yet? I believe the original contract specified 22 months- if this is correct, they are now into extra time....
Was along it today and August bank holiday looks unlikely. Still constructing parapets and other work to be done on the southbound carriageway. The NMU shared path is far from finished.

The WS2+1 has been resurfaced as S2 but no white lining yet. The extra bit on the west side has been planed and will presumably be covered with something until Crubenmore - Kincraig is dualled.[/quote

Wonder if this road opening is being timed to coincide with the Forth bridge opening?

A "double whammy" perhaps?
haggishunter

Post by haggishunter »

Came North on the A9 on Tuesday evening traffic is now running on the full length of both carriageways, but both have one lane coned off. Still a couple of the old haul road gaps in use as the Alvie left in/left out junction isn't in use yet and still the central reservation to sort out where the cross over was during the works.
GrahameCase

Post by GrahameCase »

According to Radio Scotland the new section at Kincraig - Dalraddy is due to open within the next few days.

Also, they are saying the only way that they can meet the 2025 date is with construction over the whole length of the project simultaneously. I'd tend to agree with this and it's clear Transport Scotland are intending to do this: https://news.gov.scot/news/construction ... -programme
——
Roads Geek primarily focused on Scotland
/ owner of a 7 year old laptop that doubles as a top spec gaming pc
IAN

Post by IAN »

I am less optimistic. If several sections are being built at the same time during the early 2020's the Scottish government will have to pay a large bill in one financial year, which might not be feasible. Also several sections being built at the same time would obviously lead to severe disruption. I think the most likely slippage will be that by 2025 all sections will be complete OR under construction with completion in 2027/28 – A similar situation to the Heads of the Valleys route, which was due to be finished by 2020.

Ian (M5 Driver)
AKA M5 Driver
GrahameCase

Post by GrahameCase »

TS have just uploaded Drone Footage of the nearly completed Kincraig /Dalraddy section

——
Altnabreac

Post by Altnabreac »

IAN wrote:I am less optimistic. If several sections are being built at the same time during the early 2020's the Scottish government will have to pay a large bill in one financial year, which might not be feasible. Also several sections being built at the same time would obviously lead to severe disruption. I think the most likely slippage will be that by 2025 all sections will be complete OR under construction with completion in 2027/28 – A similar situation to the Heads of the Valleys route, which was due to be finished by 2020.

Ian (M5 Driver)
I don't think the money is going to be the issue. Scottish Government has been spending £400-500m per year on Trunk road capital programmes for the last few years with big outlays on M8 completion and Forth Replacement Crossing that are coming to an end.

There are some other smaller schemes like Maybole Bypass Dalry Bypass and the A82 Tarbert - Inverarnan but they broadly only cost £200m between them. It's clear the A9 and A96 dualling are the big ticket Trunk Road investments for Scotland over the next 10 years.

The challenge will be scheduling the works without too much disruption and without journey times suffering too much.

With a limited number of possible diversion routes, problems with resources locally for accommodation, workforce etc you don't want to have work going on along the whole route simultaneously.

Equally however Perth and Inverness are far enough apart that having 2 sites at once under construction should be fine but will need to be carefully thought through to avoid excessive journey time disruption.
clc

Post by clc »

I think the last estimate for Tarbet - Inverarnan was up to £400m. There's also Inverness to Nairn dualling which is another £400m and (hopefully) Stromeferry Bypass at £90m. Haudagain, Sheriffhall and Longman roundabouts, Berriedale Braes and Laurencekirk will cost at least £200m.

Most of this expenditure will overlap with the A9 work.
GrahameCase

Post by GrahameCase »

I doubt sherifhall will be underway by 2025 - same with longman . Have a feeling sherifhall has mine workings that need extensive grouting to make safe
——
darkcape

Post by darkcape »

Nice video, the scheme looks good. Hopefully I'll get a chance to drive next time I go Scotland. Surprising to see the central reserve is a convention metal barrier rather than CSB.

On the subject of future works you'll have large workforces from the likes of the M8 / A90 / FRB that are becoming free (AWPR is already redistributing labour), Transport Scotland will need to keep schemes on track otherwise contractors will reallocate their resources elsewhere.
Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
Altnabreac

Post by Altnabreac »

clc wrote:I think the last estimate for Tarbet - Inverarnan was up to £400m. There's also Inverness to Nairn dualling which is another £400m and (hopefully) Stromeferry Bypass at £90m. Haudagain, Sheriffhall and Longman roundabouts, Berriedale Braes and Laurencekirk will cost at least £200m.

Most of this expenditure will overlap with the A9 work.
It started out as £150m but they seem to be saying £280-£380m now. Hopefully it won't actually come in at that much.

Stromeferry isn't a Trunk Road so any SG funding for it would come from another budget line.

Laurencekirk was in the city deal but may or may not come under the Trunk Road budget line too.

I still don't think budget will be as much of a problem as phasing the work without too many delays.
Altnabreac

Post by Altnabreac »

Was reading some A9 background documents and found this fantastic comment from an attendee to a public exhibition provided in verse format. Even better the consultants have replied in verse as well:

Tomatin to Moy Public Exhibition - November 2016 - Comment 007:
My little house in old Strathdearn
Is close to the A9
But your latest exhibition
Shows an even closer line.

Scaled back plans are obvious
Where funding does prevail
All answers to fair questions
Showed bean counters in control.

Just one remaining junction
Is clearly not enough
No side link road to Moy
Or even through the Slochd

All options were but carrots
On a telescopic stick,
It’s the suited and the booted
Who bewilder local folk

The question must be answered
Which every local asks,
“Why build a first class Trunk Road
With so many third rate links”.

We will welcome our new highway
Without any right hand turns
There’ll be fewer folk in A&E
And less A9 alarms
Mouchel Response:
Following November’s exhibition
We asked for your feedback
A rhyme was your submission
So we thought we’d have a crack

Driving up the A9
Should really be a joy
Which is why we need to realign
The carriageway to Moy

There are reasons for the Dualling
The road’s in need of an upgrade
The long journeys can be gruelling
Especially when delayed

Before the road’s constructed
Engineering needs assessed
Lots of surveys are instructed
As many matters need addressed

Via post and word-of-mouth
Locals comment on the junction
Whatever option at Tomatin South
The town must thrive and function

So thank you for your ditty
We found it rather witty
But to ensure that we comply
See below for a full reply…

We note your feedback regarding the preferred route option identified
following the Design Manual for Roads and Bridges (DMRB) Stage 2
Assessment. The preferred route is assessed in the DMRB process
against criteria under the headings of environment, engineering, traffic
and economics.

The junction strategy for the A9 Dualling Programme proposes to
improve safety on the A9. As such, and as you noted regarding the
Tomatin South junction, the central reserve gap will be closed. We are
currently considering the following options which were presented at
the exhibition:
Option A – Closure of the junction
Option B – Closure of the junction and a single track link road to Slochd
Option C – A Left In / Left Out junction (permitting movements in a
northbound direction only)
Option D – A grade separated junction (permitting all movements)

Please note that no final decision has been taken over the Tomatin
South junction. We are completing assessments, including reviewing
consultation feedback, before making a decision. It is anticipated that
an announcement on the preferred solution for the Tomatin South
junction will be made in Spring/Summer 2017.

Up to date information on the Tomatin to Moy project, including
materials presented at the November exhibition is available on the
Transport Scotland website at
https://www.transport.gov.scot/projects ... inverness/
a9-tomatin-to-moy/a9-tomatin-to-moy/#37475
Altnabreac

Post by Altnabreac »

So I went along to the ICE event in Edinburgh last night and there were three very interesting talks from one representative of each of the 3 design teams.

You really got a feel for some of the difficulties in designing a new road through some very constrained sections where the Beauly Denny power line, Highland Main Line, route 7 cycle route and watercourses all interact to make fitting a widened A9 in very tricky.

Also made clear that to build D2M with a LAR would be virtually impossible in some of these sections Drumochter and Slochd especially. Costs would certainly be very expensive to do that, so there would need to be a much stronger business case for a LAR than is ever likely to be the case.

Some interesting updates:
There is a good understanding from politicians and TS that the existing dualled sections need upgrading as well so there is not driver confusion at suddenly coming across central reserve gaps and right turning traffic. Seems very clear that all gaps between Perth and Inverness will be closed as part of the upgrade.

Lots of the schemes are in DMRB Stage 3 and we should start seeing a raft of Draft Orders being published starting in the next few months and with the majority of draft orders published in the next 6 months. Birnam to Tay Crossing seemed to be the one furthest from draft orders owing to the local concerns there but even that is at Stage 2 and is now progressing again.

Although Luncarty - Pass of Birnam will be let as a one off contract shortly there is potential for the remaining 9 projects to be bundled into one big construction (or even construction and operation) contract. If the single contract option is not taken then it is still likely that there will be less than 9 construction contracts. Pass of Birnam - Ballinluig and Glen Garry - Crubenmore especially would seem obvious sections where 2 schemes can be bundled together.

The 2025 opening date is challenging but there is high level political will to deliver it so the feeling is multiple sections will need to be constructed at once. As many as 5 construction sites could be up and running simultaneously although there would be strict limits on the number of sites where traffic management is restricting road operation. Very much a desire from Transport Scotland for a 2 lane road to remain in operation at virtually all times throughout the construction phase.

Very good and informative event.
GrahameCase

Post by GrahameCase »

Drat, had registered to watch online last night - missed it as I was waiting for Tesco to deliver and it slipped my mind
——
Osthagen

Post by Osthagen »

Perhaps now that the section is being dualled, the A9 might actually get some services.

The 110 miles between Perth & Inverness really is a long way to go wothout anything in the way of adequate road sevices.
"I see the face of a child. He lives in a great city. He is black. Or he is white. He is Mexican, Italian, Polish. None of that matters. What matters, he's an American child"
- Richard Nixon
Altnabreac

Post by Altnabreac »

McNessA720 wrote:Perhaps now that the section is being dualled, the A9 might actually get some services.

The 110 miles between Perth & Inverness really is a long way to go wothout anything in the way of adequate road sevices.
There really isn't any need.

The Snack Shack at Dalwhinnie is a big improvement on the previous offering. It's my number one choice for food on the A9 with Newtonmore Grill a close second and the Old Bridge Inn in Aviemore or the Old Mill Inn in Pitlochry for pub meals and the Happy Haggis in Aviemore or the Plaice to Be in Pitlochry for Fish and Chips.

If you just want a toilet stop then House of Bruar is my go to choice.

For Fuel I usually go with Dalwhinnie or Aviemore if late at night.

Throw in Ralia and Ballinluig and I really so absolutely no point in a dedicated service area on the A9. Maybe a bit of funding to allow Dalwhinnie and/or Ballinluig to upgrade the fuel to 24 hour remote service would be good but can't see the need for anything else beyond that.
clc

Post by clc »

Spill The Beans Cafe in Dunkeld is where I like to stop for lunch.

I also use House of Bruar for toilets, but would never buy anything there due to over the top prices. Gullible tourists don't seem to mind though.
clc

Post by clc »

Altnabreac wrote: Although Luncarty - Pass of Birnam will be let as a one off contract shortly there is potential for the remaining 9 projects to be bundled into one big construction (or even construction and operation) contract. If the single contract option is not taken then it is still likely that there will be less than 9 construction contracts. Pass of Birnam - Ballinluig and Glen Garry - Crubenmore especially would seem obvious sections where 2 schemes can be bundled together.
I'd be surprised if they went for a single contract option. I'm sure the construction industry would prefer to see four or five £500 million contracts rather than one mega contract being awarded.
Nwallace

Post by Nwallace »

There's also Food in the Park and the Atholl Arms in Blair Atholl

The idea that the villages bypassed by the road are the services continues to make sense to me.
GrahameCase

Post by GrahameCase »

clc wrote: I also use House of Bruar for toilets, but would never buy anything there due to over the top prices. Gullible tourists don't seem to mind though.
Every time we go to house of Bruar for a coffee / toilet stop we get followed by the staff. Must be the Mohican hair cut that does it. Not their usual clientele
clc wrote: I'd be surprised if they went for a single contract option. I'm sure the construction industry would prefer to see four or five £500 million contracts rather than one mega contract being awarded.
Is there a construction company big enough to take on the whole project ? Maybe a Joint Venture might.. but that's a big piece of liability for anyone taking it on.
Altnabreac wrote:

For Fuel I usually go with Dalwhinnie or Aviemore if late at night.
a heads up if travelling soon - Aviemore might not be open yet although others can confirm - it was closed to get get converted to an M&S Food - I think carrbridge was open 24 hours while this was ongoing

Edit : open as of 30th August http://m.forecourttrader.co.uk/news/ful ... tland.html
——
A9Craig

Post by A9Craig »

GrahameCase wrote:Drat, had registered to watch online last night - missed it as I was waiting for Tesco to deliver and it slipped my mind
2015 lecture here
2016 lecture here
2017 lecture available in 3 months time at the same site.