A9 dualling

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Nwallace

Re: A9 dualling

Post by Nwallace »

Glengary to Dalwhinnie
That looks like it's also a significant upgrade for the NMU route.
One of the main reasons for the "fancy" laybys is because the existing ones are used for access to the Drumochter munros and for access to the Gaick pass amongst other routes in the area, which just now means filling up the laybys, there is quite a sizeable parking area on both sides of the road at the summit just now.
Burns

Post by Burns »

They were digging a big hole by the side of the A9 at Bankfoot today. Presumably, they were looking for gold.
Duncan macknight
Committee Member

Post by Duncan macknight »

Another video this time for the Pitlochry to killiecrankie. https://youtu.be/u_k_l7O4OJM
A rather grand arch bridge over the Tummel and a parallel bridge over Loch Faskally with a few Lilos and underbridges including a complete rebuild of Pitlochry north and a lilo junction added for the junction before the Killiecrankie viaduct.
A9NWIL

Post by A9NWIL »

Duncan macknight wrote:Another video this time for the Pitlochry to killiecrankie. https://youtu.be/u_k_l7O4OJM
A rather grand arch bridge over the Tummel and a parallel bridge over Loch Faskally with a few Lilos and underbridges including a complete rebuild of Pitlochry north and a lilo junction added for the junction before the Killiecrankie viaduct.
It would be good if all these videos were joined together in order going from Perth to Inverness. There will of course be gaps as some parts are already dualled, but it would be nice to get a full visualisation of all the bits they are dualling in this scheme as one long visualisation.
Formerly known as 'lortjw'
GrahameCase

Post by GrahameCase »

That new Pitlochry north junction is a very clever use of the land and the old A9 - going to be nice to go and watch that being constructed.
——
Roads Geek primarily focused on Scotland
/ owner of a 7 year old laptop that doubles as a top spec gaming pc
IanRB

Post by IanRB »

GrahameCase wrote:That new Pitlochry north junction is a very clever use of the land and the old A9 - going to be nice to go and watch that being constructed.
But Pitlochry north is already dual carriageway, it just needs all the cross hatching to be removed.
GrahameCase

Post by GrahameCase »

IanRB wrote:
GrahameCase wrote:That new Pitlochry north junction is a very clever use of the land and the old A9 - going to be nice to go and watch that being constructed.
But Pitlochry north is already dual carriageway, it just needs all the cross hatching to be removed.
Except they are rebuilding it and raising the height of the A9
——
Roads Geek primarily focused on Scotland
/ owner of a 7 year old laptop that doubles as a top spec gaming pc
Duncan macknight
Committee Member

IanRB wrote:
Yes Pitlochry north is a short dual carriageway but the road north of this has a rather sharp corner which I believe is the only part of the 1980s A9 that does not correspond to design standards. Add the thick vegetation that reduces visibility and the railway crossing and its much easier to go up the hillside and build from new. Also this will be the few parts of the 80s road that is not obliterated with dualling works so it will be nice to see it saved.
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

This document on NMU stategy has appeared on the Transport Scotland website.

https://www.transport.gov.scot/publicat ... -strategy/
B9127

Post by B9127 »

Anyone any idea when a contractor will be appointed for Luncarty to Pass of Birnam ? Its nearly 12 months since the notice to tender was published
Motorways travelled 2019 - M90 - M9 - M80 - M8 -M77 - M73 -A74(M) -M6-M42-M40 -A404(M) - M4 - M5 -M50 -M56 much better so far than last year
B9127

Post by B9127 »

Re my question above I emailed Transport Scotland and asked the same question along with questioning in which order the next contracts would be issued - got a reply that they have 20 days to reply ! Thank goodness it wasn't a pothole I was reporting to them
Motorways travelled 2019 - M90 - M9 - M80 - M8 -M77 - M73 -A74(M) -M6-M42-M40 -A404(M) - M4 - M5 -M50 -M56 much better so far than last year
B9127

Post by B9127 »

Got a reply to my email which notes that the Luncarty to Birnam contract will be let in the first half of 2018 - ground investigations are under way as are archaeology works - fencing and site clearance in advance of the main contract will commence shortly in advance of the main contract. The reply also notes that 90% of the route is at preferred route status - in addition to the draft orders already published a further four will be published by summer 2018 and once statutory processes are completed procurement will commence They did not give info on which section would be next to procure.
Altnabreac

Post by Altnabreac »

B9127 wrote:Got a reply to my email which notes that the Luncarty to Birnam contract will be let in the first half of 2018 - ground investigations are under way as are archaeology works - fencing and site clearance in advance of the main contract will commence shortly in advance of the main contract. The reply also notes that 90% of the route is at preferred route status - in addition to the draft orders already published a further four will be published by summer 2018 and once statutory processes are completed procurement will commence They did not give info on which section would be next to procure.
That's very useful. Well done for getting all that out of TS.

Suspect they won't know which will be next to procure as it depends which sections need PLIs. Fair bet that given the amount of discussion the Killiecrankie battlefield has generated in the Courier it won't be the Killiecrankie - Glen Garry section which looks certain to go to a contentious PLI.

Glen Garry - Crubenmore with the two sections joined together to make one larger construction contract would be my guess for the next Procurement.
Berk

Post by Berk »

What do the complaints centre on??
Altnabreac

Post by Altnabreac »

Berk wrote:What do the complaints centre on??
That the route goes through the battlefield. There is an oddball re-enactment group called Soldiers of Killiecrankie making a lot of noise:
https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/news/lo ... 82/582482/
https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/news/lo ... ttlefield/

As I understand it the new carrigaeway is proposed to be on the north / east side of the existing carriageway so it is further from the battle epicentre than the existing carriageway but the argument is that the whole existing route is inappropriate and presumably only an off route upgrade is acceptable. Given the topography I can't really see any other viable route option but there will certainly have to be a PLI to hear those arguments.
Duncan macknight
Committee Member

Altnabreac wrote:
That the route goes through the battlefield. There is an oddball re-enactment group called Soldiers of Killiecrankie making a lot of noise:

As I understand it the new carrigaeway is proposed to be on the north / east side of the existing carriageway so it is further from the battle epicentre than the existing carriageway but the argument is that the whole existing route is inappropriate and presumably only an off route upgrade is acceptable. Given the topography I can't really see any other viable route option but there will certainly have to be a PLI to hear those arguments.
I can understand the history of the area but was there problems with the Killiecrankie viaduct when it was proposed?? That makes a much bigger impact on the landscape than a new northbound carriageway.
Altnabreac

Post by Altnabreac »

Duncan macknight wrote:
Altnabreac wrote:

I can understand the history of the area but was there problems with the Killiecrankie viaduct when it was proposed?? That makes a much bigger impact on the landscape than a new northbound carriageway.
Their argument is that what was acceptable in the 70s is not acceptable now. Difficult to see where else you can put the road though.
A9Craig

Post by A9Craig »

Altnabreac wrote: Glen Garry - Crubenmore with the two sections joined together to make one larger construction contract would be my guess for the next Procurement.
That's a good shout as construction would be relatively easy and not so much chance of a PLI. When completed it would give a very welcome 21 miles of continuous D2 roughly halfway between Inverness and Perth.

I noticed today ground investigation works going on between the A95 and A9 near the A95/B9153 junction to Carrbridge. The distance between the A9 and A95 is only about 200m here so I wonder if this is being considered as a possible junction instead of or as well as Grainish?
Duncan macknight
Committee Member

A9Craig wrote:
Altnabreac wrote: Glen Garry - Crubenmore with the two sections joined together to make one larger construction contract would be my guess for the next Procurement.
That's a good shout as construction would be relatively easy and not so much chance of a PLI. When completed it would give a very welcome 21 miles of continuous D2 roughly halfway between Inverness and Perth.

I noticed today ground investigation works going on between the A95 and A9 near the A95/B9153 junction to Carrbridge. The distance between the A9 and A95 is only about 200m here so I wonder if this is being considered as a possible junction instead of or as well as Grainish?
Currently theonly 2 junctions proposed are the A9-B9152 junction and the A9-A95 slightly off the existing junction alignments. A junction at Carrbridge and a LILO at Slochd will be built. Full details are available at the Transport Scotland A9 Dalraddy to Slochd page.
Altnabreac

Post by Altnabreac »

A9Craig wrote:

They do seem like they would be a good fit together and as you say would give a solid length of dualling completed in the middle of the project.