A9 dualling

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

A9NWIL

Re: A9 dualling

Post by A9NWIL »

Nwallace wrote:Historic Scotland have a map here:
https://weaponsandwarfare.files.wordpre ... yments.jpg

Plus there's an archaelogical findings map here:
https://www.historyscotland.com/images/ ... ankie6.jpg

One of the "options" was to abandon the current viaduct dual carriageway and go the other side of the gorge, but that involved taking out a lot of native woodland.
Thats a hard one Im all for protecting historic sites but this is an important road! It would be a massive bottleneck in years to come if nothing is done!
Formerly known as 'lortjw'
Burns

Post by Burns »

Dual everywhere but that bit and then watch as the pressure from everyone around them forces them to bow down and let the road be built. I remember going to the battle of Culloden site once. It was just a field and not even an interesting one at that.
A9NWIL

Post by A9NWIL »

Burns wrote:Dual everywhere but that bit and then watch as the pressure from everyone around them forces them to bow down and let the road be built. I remember going to the battle of Culloden site once. It was just a field and not even an interesting one at that.
The Culloden battle field is a sad place, a memorial to a doomed cause. You have to think of it like a graveyard. While thats also true of this other site, I think a sloution could be found that keeps everyone happy, but it might have to cost a little extra to placate people.
Nwallace

Post by Nwallace »

lotrjw wrote:
Burns wrote:Dual everywhere but that bit and then watch as the pressure from everyone around them forces them to bow down and let the road be built. I remember going to the battle of Culloden site once. It was just a field and not even an interesting one at that.
The Culloden battle field is a sad place, a memorial to a doomed cause. You have to think of it like a graveyard. While thats also true of this other site, I think a sloution could be found that keeps everyone happy, but it might have to cost a little extra to placate people.
It should be remembered that Killiekrankie was at the start of that doomed cause and most battlefields are generally fairly dull fields.
The damage done at Culloden and proposed to done there also is likely very much in the mind of the objectors.
A9NWIL

Post by A9NWIL »

Nwallace wrote:
lotrjw wrote:
It should be remembered that Killiekrankie was at the start of that doomed cause and most battlefields are generally fairly dull fields.
The damage done at Culloden and proposed to done there also is likely very much in the mind of the objectors.
True, its likely that at Killiekrankie that an alternative route will have to happen, as its likely the only way to keep everyone happy. Although it may not please environmentalists if other parts of the landscape have to be sacrificed instead, like the other side of the B8079.
clc

Post by clc »

I drove the full length of the A9 from Perth to Inverness recently for the first time since the new dualled section between Kincraig and Dalraddy opened. It’s a nicely engineered bit of road and allowed me to get past a slow moving convoy where on previous trips I might have spent up to 20 frustrating minutes waiting for a safe opportunity to pass. Good job.

Luncarty-Birnam makes sense as the next scheme given the volume of traffic on that section. What section will be next? I think I’d prioritise Killiecrankie to Glen Garry as it’s a long busy section.

Incidentally the average speed cameras seem to be very effective. I can’t recall seeing anyone exceed the speed limit by more than a few mph. Consequently it feels safer and more relaxing to drive.
Altnabreac

Post by Altnabreac »

clc wrote:I drove the full length of the A9 from Perth to Inverness recently for the first time since the new dualled section between Kincraig and Dalraddy opened. It’s a nicely engineered bit of road and allowed me to get past a slow moving convoy where on previous trips I might have spent up to 20 frustrating minutes waiting for a safe opportunity to pass. Good job.

Luncarty-Birnam makes sense as the next scheme given the volume of traffic on that section. What section will be next? I think I’d prioritise Killiecrankie to Glen Garry as it’s a long busy section.

Incidentally the average speed cameras seem to be very effective. I can’t recall seeing anyone exceed the speed limit by more than a few mph. Consequently it feels safer and more relaxing to drive.
The next section after Luncarty - Birnam will likely be whichever of the schemes can make it through the legal process without a PLI. It looks unlikely that Killiecrankie - Glen Garry will escape the PLI process.

I strongly suspect a double section of Glen Garry - Dalwhinnie and Dalwhinnie - Crubenmore could be a good bet as the two schemes are both likely to have lower levels of objections and could be bundled together for construction to help speed the build a little.
A9NWIL

Post by A9NWIL »

Altnabreac wrote:The next section after Luncarty - Birnam will likely be whichever of the schemes can make it through the legal process without a PLI. It looks unlikely that Killiecrankie - Glen Garry will escape the PLI process.

I strongly suspect a double section of Glen Garry - Dalwhinnie and Dalwhinnie - Crubenmore could be a good bet as the two schemes are both likely to have lower levels of objections and could be bundled together for construction to help speed the build a little.
To get the Killiecrankie to Gel Gary section through, they should drop the troublesome section from the current plans, then it should pass without a PLI.
Then later on it will just be the Killiecrankie section itself to deal with say 2-3km worth along the whole route.
Im sure that will make it easier to deal with once the rest of the route is already dualled.
Altnabreac

Post by Altnabreac »

lotrjw wrote:
Altnabreac wrote:The next section after Luncarty - Birnam will likely be whichever of the schemes can make it through the legal process without a PLI. It looks unlikely that Killiecrankie - Glen Garry will escape the PLI process.

To get the Killiecrankie to Gel Gary section through, they should drop the troublesome section from the current plans, then it should pass without a PLI.
Then later on it will just be the Killiecrankie section itself to deal with say 2-3km worth along the whole route.
Im sure that will make it easier to deal with once the rest of the route is already dualled.
It's going to need to go to a PLI sooner or later. May as well just get it over with. Changing the section that is under review would just mean having to start the option selection process from scratch to avoid legal challenge and it would end up delaying both sections. A PLI is a hassle and will take 2 years or so but fundamentally it's unlikely to result in the route being rejected.
paully

Post by paully »

Altnabreac wrote:
Nwallace wrote:
Burns wrote: If only the new link road could be dualled and linked into the current A9, removing Inveralmond completely.
Ah but that would be a Transport Scotland problem, not a P&K problem...

Got to love short sightedness in public expenditure. My favourite remains the wood block flooring in one of my School classrooms, every winter it would swell and fall apart, every summer we'd return to newly relaid wood block flooring; all it needed was relaying with lino, but that would have come out of the new works budget not the maintainance budget. :bang: :rant:
To be fair any proposal to divert the A9 traffic that way would totally destroy the whole Bertha Park development as the link road is also acting as a road to unlock development potential there. This would be bad for delivery of development across Perth and Kinross. If grade separation at Inveralmond were impossible then I might agree there should be a diversion, however Inveralmond should be possible to grade separate, it just needs the money spent on it.
Grade separation of Inveralmond is almost out the window, given all the development around the roundabout. Not only have they built the retail park on the site of Caithness Glass, but there's also a new car garage (built) and drive-through coffee shop (under construction) on the other side of the roundabout. There is now no room at all to put in sliproads.
Nwallace

Post by Nwallace »

paully wrote:
Altnabreac wrote:
Nwallace wrote:
Ah but that would be a Transport Scotland problem, not a P&K problem...

Got to love short sightedness in public expenditure. My favourite remains the wood block flooring in one of my School classrooms, every winter it would swell and fall apart, every summer we'd return to newly relaid wood block flooring; all it needed was relaying with lino, but that would have come out of the new works budget not the maintainance budget. :bang: :rant:
To be fair any proposal to divert the A9 traffic that way would totally destroy the whole Bertha Park development as the link road is also acting as a road to unlock development potential there. This would be bad for delivery of development across Perth and Kinross. If grade separation at Inveralmond were impossible then I might agree there should be a diversion, however Inveralmond should be possible to grade separate, it just needs the money spent on it.
Grade separation of Inveralmond is almost out the window, given all the development around the roundabout. Not only have they built the retail park on the site of Caithness Glass, but there's also a new car garage (built) and drive-through coffee shop (under construction) on the other side of the roundabout. There is now no room at all to put in sliproads.
It is in the plans somewhere, one of the impacts noted is the need to CPO Commerical land that has only recently been occupied.
Berk

Post by Berk »

Those are my memories too.
novaecosse

Post by novaecosse »

paully wrote: Grade separation of Inveralmond is almost out the window, given all the development around the roundabout. Not only have they built the retail park on the site of Caithness Glass, but there's also a new car garage (built) and drive-through coffee shop (under construction) on the other side of the roundabout. There is now no room at all to put in sliproads.
A slip road down to the coffee shop might be an idea :scratchchin:
clc

Post by clc »

Is there any scope to divide some of the sections into 2 or more smaller contracts? Perhaps this would allow some sections to reach construction stage earlier than would otherwise be the case.
Burns

Post by Burns »

novaecosse wrote:
paully wrote: Grade separation of Inveralmond is almost out the window, given all the development around the roundabout. Not only have they built the retail park on the site of Caithness Glass, but there's also a new car garage (built) and drive-through coffee shop (under construction) on the other side of the roundabout. There is now no room at all to put in sliproads.
A simple fork would suffice for Inveralmond, really. Anyone approaching from the south can come off at the A85.
A9NWIL

Post by A9NWIL »

Burns wrote:
novaecosse wrote:
A simple fork would suffice for Inveralmond, really. Anyone approaching from the south can come off at the A85.
Or the A9 just flyover the top of where the roundabout currently is with no junction and a new junction connected through the industrial estate to the north thats a compact GSJ.
B9127

Post by B9127 »

Motorways travelled 2019 - M90 - M9 - M80 - M8 -M77 - M73 -A74(M) -M6-M42-M40 -A404(M) - M4 - M5 -M50 -M56 much better so far than last year
Altnabreac

Post by Altnabreac »

Seems so. No surprise at all. Been obvious for months this section was heading for a PLI. More interesting will be whether one or both of the Dalwhinnie sections can avoid PLIs.
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

Press release

https://news.gov.scot/news/further-prog ... 9-dualling
Further progress on A9 Dualling

In the latest sign of progress on the A9 Dualling programme, the draft Orders and Environmental Statement confirming the line of the five mile stretch of the route between Tomatin and Moy have been published.

This is the most northerly section of the A9 dualling programme and locals and road users will get a chance to see the plans at public exhibitions in Tomatin next month with more draft Orders and public exhibitions for further sections due in the next few months.

[snip]

“We published draft Orders for four sections last year and today marks a further significant milestone in our plans with draft Orders being published for the most northerly section of the A9 to be dualled between Tomatin and Moy.

“We expect to publish draft orders for further dualling projects over the coming months.

“I would encourage anyone with an interest in the Tomatin to Moy project to attend one of the exhibitions on 7 and 8 June or view the draft Orders and Environmental Statement online and give us their views on our proposals.”

Details of the Tomatin to Moy public exhibitions:

Thursday 7th June – 4.30pm - 8.00pm – Strathdearn Primary School Hall, Tomatin, IV13 7YN
Friday 8th June – 11.00am – 6.00pm - Strathdearn Village Hall, Tomatin, IV13 7YN

Further information and the draft Orders are available on the Tomatin-Moy project page.
Tomatin (A9) should not be confused with Tormarton (M4 J18). In the words of the song, "You say Tomatin and I say Tormarton."
Burns

Post by Burns »

wrinkly wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 20:37 Tomatin (A9) should not be confused with Tormarton (M4 J18). In the words of the song, "You say Tomatin and I say Tormarton."
This has yet to cause me any difficulties but I'll watch out in the future.