A1 Northumberland Dualling

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

owen b

Re: A1 Northumberland Dualling

Post by owen b »

Mark Hewitt wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 19:06
Around this time, a 2 mile missing link of D2 on the A69 between Newcastle and Corbridge was built, but with a pair of at grade junctions remaining where you need to be vigilant. ( The filling station next to the original carriageway was demolished in 1986).
Where was this missing link part?
I remember it well. From west of the Horsley B6528 turn to east of the A68 roundabout.
Owen
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

I've done some wiki tidying over the weekend of the A1 pages; to remove a lot of the work in progress comments, to add information about opening dates where they were previously not known (we had most of the information already thanks to past contributors), and to move some information from completed scheme pages to route section pages, while at the same time moving other information from route section pages to completed scheme pages, including the creation of a new scheme page for the A1/Newcastle Western Bypass.
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps

From the SABRE Wiki: A1/Newcastle Western Bypass :

The Newcastle Western bypass scheme is an 11km dual carriageway scheme opened in 1990 which bypassed the congested section of the A1 through Central Newcastle.

The new road started at the existing end of the A69 Gateshead bypass, and contained a new bridge over the Tyne, before heading north-east on a reserved line to meet the existing A1 at Gosforth Park.

Construction started in 1987 and was completed in

... Read More
Glenn A

Post by Glenn A »

owen b wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 23:14
Mark Hewitt wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 19:06
Around this time, a 2 mile missing link of D2 on the A69 between Newcastle and Corbridge was built, but with a pair of at grade junctions remaining where you need to be vigilant. ( The filling station next to the original carriageway was demolished in 1986).
Where was this missing link part?
I remember it well. From west of the Horsley B6528 turn to east of the A68 roundabout.
It started roughly where the turn off on the westbound carriageway for Ovington is and continued close to the A68 roundabout. It was an easy upgrade as all that was involved was the demolition of a filling station and there were few properties near the road.
A9Dan

Post by A9Dan »

The stretch from the D2 at Denwick to the next section near Ellingham being only 5 miles or so, does not seems to be too much of a problem. Would it have been a better idea to have gone for two 2-3 mile stretches of D2 between Ellingham and Berwick to break up the long S2? That way you would never be too far away from the next D2 all the way to Dunbar.
Altnabreac

Post by Altnabreac »

A9Dan wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:07 The stretch from the D2 at Denwick to the next section near Ellingham being only 5 miles or so, does not seems to be too much of a problem. Would it have been a better idea to have gone for two 2-3 mile stretches of D2 between Ellingham and Berwick to break up the long S2? That way you would never be too far away from the next D2 all the way to Dunbar.
That was basically the plan back in 2008 that combined Morpeth - Felton dualling with two new shorter sections at Mousen and Haggerston.

When it came back in 2015 they had ditched that in favour of the current Alnwick - Ellingham scheme.

May be partially a desire to have the dualled link to "The South" reaching as far north as possible without any gaps or may be a reflection of AADT.
Paul7755

Post by Paul7755 »

Altnabreac wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 14:31 May be partially a desire to have the dualled link to "The South" reaching as far north as possible without any gaps or may be a reflection of AADT.
I said the same a few weeks ago, it’s probably about more positive PR by naming Ellingham, but safety wise I expect the South Charlton (Charlton Mires) junction is the key improvement. There’s probably a noticeable amount of crossing traffic there between the old road from Alnwick and the coast, it’s effectively a staggered crossroads (albeit relatively long)...
Last edited by Paul7755 on Fri Sep 13, 2019 17:16, edited 1 time in total.
Altnabreac

Post by Altnabreac »

Paul7755 wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:42
Altnabreac wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 14:31 May be partially a desire to have the dualled link to "The South" reaching as far north as possible without any gaps or may be a reflection of AADT.
I said the same a few weeks ago, it’s probably about more positive PR by naming Ellingham, but safety wise I expect the South Charlton junction is the key improvement. There’s probably a noticeable amount of crossing traffic there between the old road from Alnwick and the coast, it’s effectively a staggered crossroads (albeit relatively long)...
That's a fair point. Northumberland Coast tourism grows every year and the B6347 is probably much busier than it was 10 years ago.
Paul7755

Post by Paul7755 »

Buried in the depths of today’s DfT HS2 announcement was a short section on ‘other projects’, which included:
“Taking forward work to improve the A1 north of Newcastle, strengthening the link to the Scottish Border”
No more detail though...

Paul
Mark Hewitt

Post by Mark Hewitt »

Paul7755 wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 15:31 Buried in the depths of today’s DfT HS2 announcement was a short section on ‘other projects’, which included:
“Taking forward work to improve the A1 north of Newcastle, strengthening the link to the Scottish Border”
No more detail though...
That's often the case in these sorts of documents. Nothing ever gets done.
Paul7755

Post by Paul7755 »

Mark Hewitt wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 15:43
Paul7755 wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 15:31 Buried in the depths of today’s DfT HS2 announcement was a short section on ‘other projects’, which included:
No more detail though...
That's often the case in these sorts of documents. Nothing ever gets done.
...and no distinction between Morpeth/Felton and Denwick/Ellingham anyway. Has either got to DCO approval yet?
Berk

Post by Berk »

To do that, you need to make an application and submit it...
Paul7755

Post by Paul7755 »

Just been looking at the Highways Agency site, and my interpretation of the latest bumph is that the latest consultation is purely about the decision to combine the two projects into one DCO, in other words they aren’t consulting about the actual routes, which remain as per the two separate closed consultations.

http://assets.highwaysengland.co.uk/roa ... l+2020.pdf

Is that a correct interpretation?
mbeatts

Post by mbeatts »

Construction gone back over a year to Q4 of 2021 for the scheme as well, 2024 predicted for the route open now.
jackal

Post by jackal »

Paul7755 wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 15:26 Just been looking at the Highways Agency site, and my interpretation of the latest bumph is that the latest consultation is purely about the decision to combine the two projects into one DCO,
Yes, it's a legal requirement when schemes are combined for a DCO application.
in other words they aren’t consulting about the actual routes, which remain as per the two separate closed consultations.
Sort of. Routes are exactly the same, but you can still comment on them if you like. In fact responses are more 'freeform' than usual as they aren't using a consultation website or response form.

The accompanying PEIR is here: http://assets.highwaysengland.co.uk/roa ... 20+(2).pdf
Roadmeister17

Post by Roadmeister17 »

It is a great shame that the A1 Dualling Scheme in Northumberland has been put off yet again. Obviously COVID 19 is exacting a huge toll on the Economy, but money can still be found for HS2 !
CallumParry

Post by CallumParry »

Roadmeister17 wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:38 It is a great shame that the A1 Dualling Scheme in Northumberland has been put off yet again. Obviously COVID 19 is exacting a huge toll on the Economy, but money can still be found for HS2 !
Can't say I'm shocked because it's the same issue the North East just get the very basic investment I'm not holding my breath on the A66 too. But as long as city workers from London can reach Birmingham fast that's all that matters ohh and they are still wanting a massive motorway tunnel under the Thames Estuary. The infrastructure up here doesn't match the rest of the UK with the same dense population
mbeatts

Post by mbeatts »

Roadmeister17 wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:38 It is a great shame that the A1 Dualling Scheme in Northumberland has been put off yet again. Obviously COVID 19 is exacting a huge toll on the Economy, but money can still be found for HS2 !
Wheres this news?
e17simon

Post by e17simon »

Whilst I was in Newcastle recently,

I took a ride on the Arriva X15 route from Newcastle to Berwick via Morpeth and Alnwick and long Stretches of the A1 as I don’t drive.

There doesn’t seem to be any signs of any Improvement works along the part of the A1.

Now the traffic was free flowing with a far amount of HGV traffic and a surprising amount of Farm traffic.

What I thought that could be dangerous was the Amount of junctions without a right hand turning lane. Now I know it has 60MPH Limit but the thought of an HGV doing 50 coming across a vehicle waiting to turn right without a clear lane is worrying.

Cheers
Mark Hewitt

Post by Mark Hewitt »

e17simon wrote:Whilst I was in Newcastle recently,

I took a ride on the Arriva X15 route from Newcastle to Berwick via Morpeth and Alnwick and long Stretches of the A1 as I don’t drive.

There doesn’t seem to be any signs of any Improvement works along the part of the A1.

Now the traffic was free flowing with a far amount of HGV traffic and a surprising amount of Farm traffic.

What I thought that could be dangerous was the Amount of junctions without a right hand turning lane. Now I know it has 60MPH Limit but the thought of an HGV doing 50 coming across a vehicle waiting to turn right without a clear lane is worrying.

Cheers
Morpeth to Felton is just infuriating. I can get it going to S2 North of Alnwick but this part needs to be D2 due to the sheer amount of traffic. It's very normal to be doing 30mph along the entire length.

As for turnings the D2 section from Felton to Alnwick is awful for this. Lots of carriageway gaps and bad junctions.
djw1981

Post by djw1981 »

Mark Hewitt wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 08:04
e17simon wrote:Whilst I was in Newcastle recently,

Cheers
Morpeth to Felton is just infuriating. I can get it going to S2 North of Alnwick but this part needs to be D2 due to the sheer amount of traffic. It's very normal to be doing 30mph along the entire length.

As for turnings the D2 section from Felton to Alnwick is awful for this. Lots of carriageway gaps and bad junctions.
Absolutely. It's not even as if there are major obstacles - there's mostly farmland to one side or other all the way up so minimal house purchases etc. The bridge across Coquet will need some work, but other than that it's an 11 mile section which has already had plans commenced, so should be an easy one for BJ to demonstrate his 'build back better / northern powerhouse / red wall' credentials.

You probably need a GSJ at Eshott for holiday park etc and to access local roads, but otherwise most places are accessible from other nearby roads so an LAR would probably not be needed?