A14 Cambridge to Huntingdon "news"

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

ManomayLR
Social Media Admin

Re: A14 Cambridge to Huntingdon

Post by ManomayLR »

TomJ wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 22:53
EpicChef wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 22:41 Are there Variable Speed Limits Ahead signs on the entry slips, and Variable Speed Limits ENDS on the exit slips yet?
I don't seem to recall seeing any - I'll check the dashcam footage tomorrow and update.

Wasn't there a link way back in this thread tracking the status of the legislation(? - not sure if that's quite the right legal term) to make the VSL on this section mandatory? Last I remember it was due to be signed off I think?
It would be weird if the VSL was made mandatory without speed camera reminder signs installed on the gantries, and “variable speed limit ahead” signs on the sliproads.
Though roads may not put a smile on everyone's face, there is one road that always will: the road to home.
TomJ

Post by TomJ »

EpicChef wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 23:16 It would be weird if the VSL was made mandatory without speed camera reminder signs installed on the gantries, and “variable speed limit ahead” signs on the sliproads.
Agree completely - that was more put there out of curiosity for what stage it was at than out of thinking that the VSL was now mandatory! I wouldn't have thought that VSL enforcement would have been possible without the 'Variable Speed Limit' signs when entering.
Mettie

Post by Mettie »

EpicChef wrote:
TomJ wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 21:35
Mettie wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 14:19 Not yet, the cameras seem to be taking a bit more time, especially as traffic levels have increased significantly over the past week or so. They were at Bar Hill yesterday (Monday) on the westbound carriageway, so i would say about 1/2 way through. A1 N/B now has yellow 'Camera Not In Use' sign up though, which it wasn't last week.
To update on this - drove eastbound on the A14 today and all mounts on the side of gantries and MS4s looked like they had HADECS installed. Only a couple of cameras on the east-most section of the route had 'Camera Not In Use' signs next to them, whereas all cameras before them did IIRC. Still didn't seem to stop a couple of people bombing past at 90+ without getting flashed. So whether they've just got a high tolerance, the signs blew over in the wind, or they're still not active is anyone's guess.

I won't be the one to test it! :cop:
Are there Variable Speed Limits Ahead signs on the entry slips, and Variable Speed Limits ENDS on the exit slips yet?
No.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Andy33gmail

Re: A14 Cambridge to Huntingdon "news"

Post by Andy33gmail »

Do we know if the cameras will enforce the 70mph limit, or just the reduced limits?

IIRC the M25 cameras used to be off when it was NSL, and at some point this was changed?
ManomayLR
Social Media Admin

Post by ManomayLR »

Andy33gmail wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 00:34 Do we know if the cameras will enforce the 70mph limit, or just the reduced limits?

IIRC the M25 cameras used to be off when it was NSL, and at some point this was changed?
HE says it’s up to individual police forces to decide camera thresholds and whether they enforce national speed limit.
Though roads may not put a smile on everyone's face, there is one road that always will: the road to home.
igregord

Post by igregord »

VSL signs from Bar Hill to Girton were showing 50 with red circles this morning, as were the MS4s, together with "Queue".

Edit: Half an hour later they were blank again, whereas earlier the ones that weren't showing 50 showed NSL. Looks like it was probably a test.
Mettie

Post by Mettie »

It seems that there is one more camera to fit westbound. Came through about 0945 today, no gantries or MS4s lit, although on Friday they were on due to a lorry with a puncture moving to an ERA. As usual, one or two cars oblivious to the red 'X' in lane one!

Big Nick

Post by Big Nick »

It's actually a little confusing as what the speed limit is on the new A14. You go past a few signs saying 50 (some related to roadworks) and then everyone is going at 70 but I don't recall seeing a Speed Restriction Ends.
Mettie

Post by Mettie »

Big Nick wrote:It's actually a little confusing as what the speed limit is on the new A14. You go past a few signs saying 50 (some related to roadworks) and then everyone is going at 70 but I don't recall seeing a Speed Restriction Ends.
The only 50 signs today were on the slip road at Bar Hill, nothing on the main line from the M11, although I seem to recall last week on the stretch from Histon, various temporary/old signs dotted about.

Big Nick

Post by Big Nick »

Mettie wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:52
Big Nick wrote:It's actually a little confusing as what the speed limit is on the new A14. You go past a few signs saying 50 (some related to roadworks) and then everyone is going at 70 but I don't recall seeing a Speed Restriction Ends.
The only 50 signs today were on the slip road at Bar Hill, nothing on the main line from the M11, although I seem to recall last week on the stretch from Histon, various temporary/old signs dotted about.

I guess they cleared up the mess that I saw last week then. In the end I went for 70mph and hoped for the best!
roadtester

Post by roadtester »

The local rag has some interesting aerial photographs of the work to remove the viaduct:

https://www.huntspost.co.uk/news/stunni ... -1-6709947
Electrophorus Electricus

Check out #davidsdailycar on Mastodon
Moore_O
Account deactivated at user request

Post by Moore_O »

Here are some less spectacular images I took a few weeks ago when I was up there.

From what I can see, the four beams they have removed so far are all in a long line on the old West-bound carriageway beyond the watertower, completely intact.

I know that they are doing the theoretical 'difficult bit' first, but at this rate it will take years. Although I presume the cantilever arches are hollow, not solid!
B1040

Post by B1040 »

Signs on the overhead gantries before the A1307(M) junction removed. Small hard to read temporary signs instead of the old ones.
ManomayLR
Social Media Admin

Post by ManomayLR »

B1040 wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 16:42 Signs on the overhead gantries before the A1307(M) junction removed. Small hard to read temporary signs instead of the old ones.
Is it A1307M, A14M or A604M?
B1040

Post by B1040 »

I think it was just A1307.
Never been a sign for A14(M) or A604(M)
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

Here's a couple more from today.

Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
roadtester

Post by roadtester »

Article from the local rag on the history of the A14. I think some of the same ground and one or two of the photos were covered in a previous article I posted.

https://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news/l ... e-18568718
Electrophorus Electricus

Check out #davidsdailycar on Mastodon
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

roadtester wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:28 Article from the local rag on the history of the A14. I think some of the same ground and one or two of the photos were covered in a previous article I posted.

https://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news/l ... e-18568718
I think they ran pretty much the same article when the upgrade was first announced, I certainly recognise some of the photos.
ManomayLR
Social Media Admin

Post by ManomayLR »

Any developments of the roll-out of variable speed limit cameras or signs?
ManomayLR
Social Media Admin

Post by ManomayLR »

igregord wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 09:17 VSL signs from Bar Hill to Girton were showing 50 with red circles this morning, as were the MS4s, together with "Queue".

Edit: Half an hour later they were blank again, whereas earlier the ones that weren't showing 50 showed NSL. Looks like it was probably a test.
If mandatory VSL are showing, then there should be 'Variable Speed Limit Ahead' / 'Variable Speed Limit Ends' signs installed.