A14 Cambridge to Huntingdon "news"

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Al__S

Re: A14 Cambridge to Huntingdon "news"

Post by Al__S »

c2R wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:17

The link to the article would probably have helped, wouldn't it!

https://www.huntspost.co.uk/news/local- ... ed-7860900
See, for this I'd have proposed a far more radical scheme for Godmanchester/Huntingdon, which would have cost vastly more

The core of my scheme would have been to lower the road. The bridge over the Ouse only requires the same clearance over the river as the old bridge. I'd have a flat junction (signalised) with the B1044 The Avenue, and close the old bridge to all motor traffic. I'd also have flat junctions at Cambridge Road (B1044) and the A1198, taking out of use the loop of Cambridge Road where it passes under the current A1307 to meet the A1198 junction on the north side.

I'd suggest further changes to the road system, potentially returning the Ring Road to two way traffic.
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

I can't find my old drawing now, but essentially you can achieve a similar result for a fraction of a cost, by building a road up to the existing level of the dual carriageway and adding a signalised junction, perhaps using the site of the old boatyard.

I agree that some changes are needed to the one way system inside the town as well.
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
Sunil_of_Yoxley

Post by Sunil_of_Yoxley »

jackal wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 09:36 A large number of reserve gaps remain on the 10 mile section between Ellington and Thrapston - the only gaps between Felixstowe and Glasgow. The local MP, Shailesh Vara, "is calling for short-term safety measures at the junctions pending a permanent solution."

https://www.huntspost.co.uk/news/meetin ... ns-7873558

A permanent solution would presumably involve a mixture of GSJs and access roads. It's not mentioned in RIS2 so I wouldn't hold my breath.
The only gaps between South Woodford and Glasgow I think you mean :D
My London railway station photos on Wikimedia Commons
IAN

Post by IAN »

Sunil_of_Yoxley wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 23:14
jackal wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 09:36 A large number of reserve gaps remain on the 10 mile section between Ellington and Thrapston - the only gaps between Felixstowe and Glasgow. The local MP, Shailesh Vara, "is calling for short-term safety measures at the junctions pending a permanent solution."

A permanent solution would presumably involve a mixture of GSJs and access roads. It's not mentioned in RIS2 so I wouldn't hold my breath.
Welcome back after 4 1/2 years!
AKA M5 Driver
Sunil_of_Yoxley

IAN wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 18:01

Thanks Ian, good to be back!

I will be honest and say I had my interest in roads re-kindled after looking at the new Catthorpe Junction in Google last week, and thinking:

Mind. Blown.

They went ahead and made a direct end-on connection between the M6 and A14, which in turn leads seemlessly via the new Huntingdon to Girton section to the M11!

According to my calculations (which are sometimes correct!), that's 432 miles of continuous central reservation (I know, apart from the gaps between Ellington and Thrapston, and the M6 Toll, er, tolls) via M11, A14, M6, M6 Toll, M6, A74(M) and M74.
ManomayLR
Social Media Admin

Post by ManomayLR »

Sunil_of_Yoxley wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 00:49

I will be honest and say I had my interest in roads re-kindled after looking at the new Catthorpe Junction in Google last week, and thinking:

Mind. Blown.

They went ahead and made a direct end-on connection between the M6 and A14, which in turn leads seemlessly via the new Huntingdon to Girton section to the M11!

According to my calculations (which are sometimes correct!), that's 432 miles of continuous central reservation (I know, apart from the gaps between Ellington and Thrapston, and the M6 Toll, er, tolls) via M11, A14, M6, M6 Toll, M6, A74(M) and M74.
Welcome back to SABRE!

Great to see this! The next step, though, is to tell us how much of it is Armco, how much concrete, and how much wire!! :P
Though roads may not put a smile on everyone's face, there is one road that always will: the road to home.
Sunil_of_Yoxley

EpicChef wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 07:55
Sunil_of_Yoxley wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 00:49

Mind. Blown.

Welcome back to SABRE!

Great to see this! The next step, though, is to tell us how much of it is Armco, how much concrete, and how much wire!! :P
Thank you!

True, but I don't think even the strip maps on Roads.org.uk go into that much detail :lol:
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

Until now I had always assumed the original proposals for an M1 to A1 link was along the A45 corridor via Northampton, Wellingborough, Kimbolton, St Neots and Madingley which would then have flowed directly onto the Cambridge Northern Bypass without any TOTSOs. This would have avoided the need to do anything to the Cambridge-Huntingdon section as this would still be carrying just north-south traffic.

However, this letter from the early 70's has now come to light which shows this doesn't appear to have been the case and the intention was to go to Huntingdon as the A14 from the M1 does now. The letter even says it may not be a suitable terminal point, possibly in reference to Cambridge-Huntingdon being overloaded or the TOTSO at Girton. Further down the letter states the section from Girton to Godmanchester would be D3. Amazing then how it was built as D2 even though fifty years ago the potential for this to be carrying north-south and east-west traffic was recognised. Also indefensible is the layout at Girton which anyone working on it in the late 70's would have known the bulk of east-west traffic would be using one of the loops once the link to Catthorpe opened. This would have saved £1.5bn had things been done properly forty years earlier.
Attachments
a14.jpg
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
roadtester

Post by roadtester »

Truvelo wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 22:59 Until now I had always assumed the original proposals for an M1 to A1 link was along the A45 corridor via Northampton, Wellingborough, Kimbolton, St Neots and Madingley which would then have flowed directly onto the Cambridge Northern Bypass without any TOTSOs. This would have avoided the need to do anything to the Cambridge-Huntingdon section as this would still be carrying just north-south traffic.

However, this letter from the early 70's has now come to light which shows this doesn't appear to have been the case and the intention was to go to Huntingdon as the A14 from the M1 does now. The letter even says it may not be a suitable terminal point, possibly in reference to Cambridge-Huntingdon being overloaded or the TOTSO at Girton. Further down the letter states the section from Girton to Godmanchester would be D3. Amazing then how it was built as D2 even though fifty years ago the potential for this to be carrying north-south and east-west traffic was recognised. Also indefensible is the layout at Girton which anyone working on it in the late 70's would have known the bulk of east-west traffic would be using one of the loops once the link to Catthorpe opened. This would have saved £1.5bn had things been done properly forty years earlier.
Interesting - staggered that they seem to have always intended the TOTSO.

Interesting too that the Cambridge and Newmarket bypasses were being planned with motorway upgrades in mind but not the other elements.

I've always tended to think that the section east of Cambridge is reasonably fit for purpose but these days, it is increasingly overloaded, with elephant racing causing considerable frustration and delay.

I suspect one day a proper D3 bypass on a new alignment may need to be considered for Bury St Edmunds, where the road is slow and really hemmed in by development of both sides. That'll cost a bit too.

What's D2L (if my eyesight isn't deceiving me) by the way?
Electrophorus Electricus

Check out #davidsdailycar on Mastodon
ManomayLR
Social Media Admin

Post by ManomayLR »

roadtester wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 23:15 What's D2L (if my eyesight isn't deceiving me) by the way?
Maybe just "Dual 2 Lane"?
Though roads may not put a smile on everyone's face, there is one road that always will: the road to home.
roadtester

Post by roadtester »

EpicChef wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 23:24
roadtester wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 23:15 What's D2L (if my eyesight isn't deceiving me) by the way?
Maybe just "Dual 2 Lane"?
Now you mention it, that does seem the likeliest option!
Electrophorus Electricus

medgoode

Post by medgoode »

The A14 EB to A10 NB dedicated slip road at J33 Milton Interchange opened this morning according to reports. There had been two nights of closures, which made me hopeful that this would finally open!
roadtester

Post by roadtester »

medgoode wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 13:45 The A14 EB to A10 NB dedicated slip road at J33 Milton Interchange opened this morning according to reports. There had been two nights of closures, which made me hopeful that this would finally open!
The A10 was closed off from the roundabout last night, presumably while they did the finishing touches, so I had to make a bit of a detour through Milton itself to join it further north.

Good to hear it's finally open - it's looked more or less finished for ages.
Electrophorus Electricus

kiran_mk2

Post by kiran_mk2 »

Glad this has finally been finished - it's dragged on way past than the original A14 scheme opening. I'm aware there were some issues around the earth which delayed the completing of the curb / tarmac but this was all finished off at Easter leaving just the line markings do do. I'm sure I saw someone driving through the slip a month or so ago which made me think it had opened, but then it was back to cones.

I'll have a look on my way home tonight but I really hope someone completely redoes the lane markings on the roundabout - there has been a change of lane usage on the eastern side (the outer lane used to go onto the e/b A14 on-slip and the middle lane became the outer lane for the road into Cambridge, but now the lanes continue around) - both both sets of lines are still visible (and very wonky) which causes some confusion.

Also - does anyone know what they are doing on the A14 w/b at the Milton junction? They've dug away a lot of the on-slip hill.
thatapanydude

Post by thatapanydude »

kiran_mk2 wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:43
Also - does anyone know what they are doing on the A14 w/b at the Milton junction? They've dug away a lot of the on-slip hill.
I was there last night and I am not sure. Of course its looks to be a tiger tail slip join but not a whole lot of work going on.

Yes echo the new A10 slip too, shame it could not be D2 to the Milton P&R though !!
A1/A1(M) >>> M1
roadtester

Post by roadtester »

kiran_mk2 wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:43 Glad this has finally been finished - it's dragged on way past than the original A14 scheme opening. I'm aware there were some issues around the earth which delayed the completing of the curb / tarmac but this was all finished off at Easter leaving just the line markings do do. I'm sure I saw someone driving through the slip a month or so ago which made me think it had opened, but then it was back to cones.

I'll have a look on my way home tonight but I really hope someone completely redoes the lane markings on the roundabout - there has been a change of lane usage on the eastern side (the outer lane used to go onto the e/b A14 on-slip and the middle lane became the outer lane for the road into Cambridge, but now the lanes continue around) - both both sets of lines are still visible (and very wonky) which causes some confusion.
I used the new A14 E to A10 N avoider lane last night. I’m sure it will add capacity and aid traffic flow but the angle and camber of the turn still mean you really have to slow right down, rather than just whizzing through.

Agree about the markings. The roundabout is partly counter-intuitive and confusing even when correctly and clearly marked - which it isn’t at the moment.
Electrophorus Electricus

A320Driver

Post by A320Driver »

I drove the new A14 from Brampton to M11 for the first time yesterday. One thing that stuck out was the fact that the ERAs are essentially the same as those found on smart motorways, whereas a new AP road would now have lay-bys segregated from the mainline. Therefore, the fact that the signs were changed from blue to green at the last minute would suggest to me a downgrade in the safety standards of a new AP route…
Formerly ‘guvvaA303’
ManomayLR
Social Media Admin

Post by ManomayLR »

A320Driver wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 08:41 I drove the new A14 from Brampton to M11 for the first time yesterday. One thing that stuck out was the fact that the ERAs are essentially the same as those found on smart motorways, whereas a new AP road would now have lay-bys segregated from the mainline. Therefore, the fact that the signs were changed from blue to green at the last minute would suggest to me a downgrade in the safety standards of a new AP route…
Note how the Emergency Area signs are not the same as the ones on motorways, and the lack of stopped vehicle detection.
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

Truvelo wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 22:59 Until now I had always assumed the original proposals for an M1 to A1 link was along the A45 corridor via Northampton, Wellingborough, Kimbolton, St Neots and Madingley which would then have flowed directly onto the Cambridge Northern Bypass without any TOTSOs. This would have avoided the need to do anything to the Cambridge-Huntingdon section as this would still be carrying just north-south traffic.

If you look at Hansard in 1983 you will find 4 options were considered.
https://api.parliament.uk/historic-hans ... -link-road

All pretty much used what was then the A604 towards Thrapston the debate was largely about where it went from there. Two of them largely followed the current route with the main difference between passing north or south of Naseby Battlefield. This was the shortest route but involved building a new road across green fields rather than improving existing roads. They were referred to as the original green route (south of Naseby) and the new green route north of Naseby.

Another followed the so called Morton or Northern Route which was championed as it improved access to Kettering and Corby where the steelworks had been closed in 1979. It was hoped the new road would aid its regeneration.
Today, we have heard from my right hon. Friend of what I shall call the Morton route. It is a variant on the A427 route. The Morton route would go from the last junction along the M6, up the A426 and across the A427 to the north of Market Harborough and then down the A6 road and cut across to the north-west of Desborough and Rothwell, joining the Kettering road and the original green route to go round the south of Kettering.
There was also consideration of a southern route which would have followed what is now the A45 from Thrapston via Wellingborough and pass south of Northampton to join the M1. This was largely improved in sections by Northamptonshire CC and is now pretty much all D2 except for the Thrapston to Stanwick section.

A I recall the original consulation was held in 1975 so this was a very protracted business with the final decision not taking place until 1990.
https://hansard.parliament.uk/Lords/199 ... A1LinkRoad
kiran_mk2

Post by kiran_mk2 »

kiran_mk2 wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:43 Also - does anyone know what they are doing on the A14 w/b at the Milton junction? They've dug away a lot of the on-slip hill.
Just to answer my own question they seem to be installing Armco barriers at the edge of the carriageway through this junction. As I use the Milton junction I don't often travel through it on the A14 so I don't know if this is an addition or a replacement.