A14 Cambridge to Huntingdon "news"

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Re: A14 Cambridge to Huntingdon "news"

Post by c2R »

trickstat wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 13:13
jervi wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:52 New signage is now on the gantries on the A1(M), only 14 months late (can't remember seeing it there in February). It marks the lane drop as "(A1307)" instead of "A1307", which I guess is the most correct way to sign it since the spur, as far as I am aware, is still the "A14(M)", and "A14(M) (A1307)" would look silly on a sign, and confusing.
Would it still be A14(M) when it no longer links to the A14?
It was previously clarified by Highways England that the former A14(M) is now a spur of the A1(M).
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
trickstat

Post by trickstat »

c2R wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 13:25
trickstat wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 13:13
jervi wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:52 New signage is now on the gantries on the A1(M), only 14 months late (can't remember seeing it there in February). It marks the lane drop as "(A1307)" instead of "A1307", which I guess is the most correct way to sign it since the spur, as far as I am aware, is still the "A14(M)", and "A14(M) (A1307)" would look silly on a sign, and confusing.
Would it still be A14(M) when it no longer links to the A14?
It was previously clarified by Highways England that the former A14(M) is now a spur of the A1(M).
That does make sense to me.
jervi

Post by jervi »

Fair enough, one.network still calls it the A14M
A14M.PNG
But likewise it being signed "A1(M) (A1307)" would be even more confusing.
trickstat

Post by trickstat »

jervi wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 13:32 Fair enough, one.network still calls it the A14MA14M.PNG

But likewise it being signed "A1(M) (A1307)" would be even more confusing.
I agree that "(A1307)" is the least confusing option.
jackal

Post by jackal »

A large number of reserve gaps remain on the 10 mile section between Ellington and Thrapston - the only gaps between Felixstowe and Glasgow. The local MP, Shailesh Vara, "is calling for short-term safety measures at the junctions pending a permanent solution."

https://www.huntspost.co.uk/news/meetin ... ns-7873558

A permanent solution would presumably involve a mixture of GSJs and access roads. It's not mentioned in RIS2 so I wouldn't hold my breath.
B1040

Post by B1040 »

jackal wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 09:36 A large number of reserve gaps remain on the 10 mile section between Ellington and Thrapston - the only gaps between Felixstowe and Glasgow. The local MP, Shailesh Vara, "is calling for short-term safety measures at the junctions pending a permanent solution."

A permanent solution would presumably involve a mixture of GSJs and access roads. It's not mentioned in RIS2 so I wouldn't hold my breath.
Must be an election coming up. We don't often see him in the constituency unless he needs to remind us who he is. However there are some politically influential folk who live in that area.
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

Also this - it does actually look like they want to close the old bridge, although without the additional suggestion I made upthread about building an at-grade junction with the old A14 to allow local traffic to bypass the closure, resulting in some bus companies getting the hump.
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

c2R wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:57 Also this - it does actually look like they want to close the old bridge
Which old bridge are you referring to here?
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

wrinkly wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:16
c2R wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:57 Also this - it does actually look like they want to close the old bridge
Which old bridge are you referring to here?
The link to the article would probably have helped, wouldn't it!

https://www.huntspost.co.uk/news/local- ... ed-7860900
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

jackal wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 09:36 A large number of reserve gaps remain on the 10 mile section between Ellington and Thrapston - the only gaps between Felixstowe and Glasgow. The local MP, Shailesh Vara, "is calling for short-term safety measures at the junctions pending a permanent solution."

At best they will warrant an overbridge and couple of Lilo's at a guess, none of them look major and most seem to be farm accesses.
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

A permanent scheme there I would think could do with providing local access tracks for the farm accesses to try and actually remove the agricultural machinery from the main line of the carriageway...
the cheesecake man

Post by the cheesecake man »

c2R wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:57 Also this - it does actually look like they want to close the old bridge ... , resulting in some bus companies getting the hump.
tee hee :lol:
roadtester

Post by roadtester »

Apparently a large proportion of the million trees planted in connection with the Cambridge to Huntingdon scheme have died.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-c ... e-56254842
Electrophorus Electricus

Check out #davidsdailycar on Mastodon
A303Chris
Elected Committee Member

Post by A303Chris »

I know I should know the answer but I thought when the A1/M1 link, now the A14 was built in the 90s, the whole length of the road was new. I know between Thrapston and the A1 it followed the A604, but I thought this was single carriageway. Therefore why when the rest of the link was HQDC, was this section built with at grade crossings.

I see from street view that some junctions have speed cameras, I can see the solution being average speed along the length
The M25 - The road to nowhere
roadtester

Post by roadtester »

A303Chris wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 14:06

I know I should know the answer but I thought when the A1/M1 link, now the A14 was built in the 90s, the whole length of the road was new. I know between Thrapston and the A1 it followed the A604, but I thought this was single carriageway. Therefore why when the rest of the link was HQDC, was this section built with at grade crossings.

I see from street view that some junctions have speed cameras, I can see the solution being average speed along the length
The drop in standard on this stretch is much more obvious than it used to be now the Cambridge > Huntingdon scheme is finished.

It would have been nice if they could have done the work on grade separating this section at the same time as the bigger works.
Electrophorus Electricus

c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

Thrapston to Brampton Hut was online widening of the existing A604. Overlay the 7th series with OSM on SABRE Maps.

The road at the time was relatively lightly used (it still isn't anywhere near as busy as Huntingdon to Cambridge which carries NS traffic as well as EW), and at grade junctions were included, presumably to save costs.

There were plans to grade separate in the 90s, which got canned. Some proposed junction layouts are on the wiki.
jackal

Post by jackal »

c2R wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 14:20 There were plans to grade separate in the 90s, which got canned. Some proposed junction layouts are on the wiki.
Interestingly it seems Junctions 14, 15, 17 and 19 were all proposed for grade separation (I guess this is why they are numbered that way). 1 or 2 of them would seem unnecessary if access roads were provided - but given it's a long stretch maybe that wouldn't be much of a cost saving.

J14 options:

J15 options:

J17 option:

Credit: Truvelo.
jackal

Post by jackal »

Various J19 options:

Credit: Truvelo
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

roadtester wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 13:40 Apparently a large proportion of the million trees planted in connection with the Cambridge to Huntingdon scheme have died.

That is pretty much expected, the faster growing trees grab all the water through the roots and shade the others out but in the interim stabilise embankments, cuttings etc,
https://core.ac.uk/download/pdf/26910194.pdf'
roadtester

Post by roadtester »

KeithW wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 15:48
roadtester wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 13:40 Apparently a large proportion of the million trees planted in connection with the Cambridge to Huntingdon scheme have died.

That is pretty much expected, the faster growing trees grab all the water through the roots and shade the others out but in the interim stabilise embankments, cuttings etc,
https://core.ac.uk/download/pdf/26910194.pdf'
Yes - I'm sure I've read similar reports in the past for other road schemes involving extensive planting.
Electrophorus Electricus