A14 Cambridge to Huntingdon "news"

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Al__S

Re: A14 Cambridge to Huntingdon "news"

Post by Al__S » Wed Apr 07, 2021 20:19

c2R wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:17

The link to the article would probably have helped, wouldn't it!

https://www.huntspost.co.uk/news/local- ... ed-7860900
See, for this I'd have proposed a far more radical scheme for Godmanchester/Huntingdon, which would have cost vastly more

The core of my scheme would have been to lower the road. The bridge over the Ouse only requires the same clearance over the river as the old bridge. I'd have a flat junction (signalised) with the B1044 The Avenue, and close the old bridge to all motor traffic. I'd also have flat junctions at Cambridge Road (B1044) and the A1198, taking out of use the loop of Cambridge Road where it passes under the current A1307 to meet the A1198 junction on the north side.

I'd suggest further changes to the road system, potentially returning the Ring Road to two way traffic.

c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R » Wed Apr 07, 2021 20:57

I can't find my old drawing now, but essentially you can achieve a similar result for a fraction of a cost, by building a road up to the existing level of the dual carriageway and adding a signalised junction, perhaps using the site of the old boatyard.

I agree that some changes are needed to the one way system inside the town as well.
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps

Sunil_of_Yoxley

Post by Sunil_of_Yoxley » Sat Apr 24, 2021 23:14

jackal wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 09:36
A large number of reserve gaps remain on the 10 mile section between Ellington and Thrapston - the only gaps between Felixstowe and Glasgow. The local MP, Shailesh Vara, "is calling for short-term safety measures at the junctions pending a permanent solution."

https://www.huntspost.co.uk/news/meetin ... ns-7873558

A permanent solution would presumably involve a mixture of GSJs and access roads. It's not mentioned in RIS2 so I wouldn't hold my breath.
The only gaps between South Woodford and Glasgow I think you mean :D
My London railway station photos on Wikimedia Commons

IAN

Post by IAN » Sun Apr 25, 2021 18:01

Sunil_of_Yoxley wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 23:14
jackal wrote:
A large number of reserve gaps remain on the 10 mile section between Ellington and Thrapston - the only gaps between Felixstowe and Glasgow. The local MP, Shailesh Vara, "is calling for short-term safety measures at the junctions pending a permanent solution."

A permanent solution would presumably involve a mixture of GSJs and access roads. It's not mentioned in RIS2 so I wouldn't hold my breath.
Welcome back after 4 1/2 years!
AKA M5 Driver

Sunil_of_Yoxley

Post by Sunil_of_Yoxley » Tue Apr 27, 2021 00:49

IAN wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 18:01
Sunil_of_Yoxley wrote:
jackal wrote:

Thanks Ian, good to be back!

I will be honest and say I had my interest in roads re-kindled after looking at the new Catthorpe Junction in Google last week, and thinking:

Mind. Blown.

They went ahead and made a direct end-on connection between the M6 and A14, which in turn leads seemlessly via the new Huntingdon to Girton section to the M11!

According to my calculations (which are sometimes correct!), that's 432 miles of continuous central reservation (I know, apart from the gaps between Ellington and Thrapston, and the M6 Toll, er, tolls) via M11, A14, M6, M6 Toll, M6, A74(M) and M74.

EpicChef
Assistant Site Manager

Post by EpicChef » Tue Apr 27, 2021 07:55

Sunil_of_Yoxley wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 00:49
IAN wrote:
Sunil_of_Yoxley wrote:

I will be honest and say I had my interest in roads re-kindled after looking at the new Catthorpe Junction in Google last week, and thinking:

Mind. Blown.

They went ahead and made a direct end-on connection between the M6 and A14, which in turn leads seemlessly via the new Huntingdon to Girton section to the M11!

According to my calculations (which are sometimes correct!), that's 432 miles of continuous central reservation (I know, apart from the gaps between Ellington and Thrapston, and the M6 Toll, er, tolls) via M11, A14, M6, M6 Toll, M6, A74(M) and M74.
Welcome back to SABRE!

Great to see this! The next step, though, is to tell us how much of it is Armco, how much concrete, and how much wire!! :P
Smart motorways are like asbestos: they're the best option until suddenly they're not.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!

Sunil_of_Yoxley

Post by Sunil_of_Yoxley » Tue Apr 27, 2021 14:29

EpicChef wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 07:55
Sunil_of_Yoxley wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 00:49
IAN wrote:

Mind. Blown.

Welcome back to SABRE!

Great to see this! The next step, though, is to tell us how much of it is Armco, how much concrete, and how much wire!! :P
Thank you!

True, but I don't think even the strip maps on Roads.org.uk go into that much detail :lol: