A14 Cambridge to Huntingdon "news"

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Andy33gmail

Re: A14 Cambridge to Huntingdon "news"

Post by Andy33gmail »

Ruperts Trooper wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 05:17
Berk wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 02:07 You could always try covering the concrete with a hedge, so it looks natural. :bulb:
The do that with stone walls in Wales, along the A5 - guess how I found out!
That’s really nasty - doesn’t help you make the right choice if you’re committed to crashing and have to decide between various options like oncoming car/hedge/ditch/telegraph pole/cliff/sheep
ManomayLR
Assistant Site Manager

Post by ManomayLR »

But would you rather messy Armco like in nowster’s street view link above, or this?
https://goo.gl/maps/vtnDw7zWnshqW77u7
Though roads may not put a smile on everyone's face, there is one road that always will: the road to home.
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

Visually, I prefer somethig for nature:

The Gorse and bushes on the M1 in Ireland:

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.9069338 ... 384!8i8192

Or the Oleander on the A-92 in Spain: https://www.google.com/maps/@37.2272975 ... 312!8i6656
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
someone

Post by someone »

c2R wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:14 Visually, I prefer somethig for nature:
Yes, the best reservations are wider and greener (or pinker, that Spanish one is nice), not narrow and concrete. So given the choice I would easily pick nowster's "rather messy Armco" over EpicChef's dreary bland concrete.

That said, I have seen grass/weeds/saplings growing from the concrete barriers on the M1 too, so maybe there is hope for them yet.
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

someone wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:08
Yes, the best reservations are wider and greener (or pinker, that Spanish one is nice), not narrow and concrete. So given the choice I would easily pick nowster's "rather messy Armco" over EpicChef's dreary bland concrete.

That said, I have seen grass/weeds/saplings growing from the concrete barriers on the M1 too, so maybe there is hope for them yet.
I suppose that while visually I prefer that, I'd also say that from a practical perspective, for much of English motorway network, traffic volumes are also so high that temporary traffic management including speed limits and lane closures to replace damaged crash barrier could cause significant delays, and therefore I've no problem with the use of concrete barriers as there isn't really a quiet time on much of the network to actually do repairs....
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Berk wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 22:20 I’m always afraid of driving into them myself. Run into one of them and you’ll be clobbered (not to mention the car).

And they’re ugly things, really dominate the reserve.
You will scrape along a concrete barrier unless you somehow manage to hit at 90 degrees which would be qualifying for a Darwin Award.

Concrete barriers also lack Z posts that are well documented means to remove limbs from and/or decaptiate a motorcyclist.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
jackal

Post by jackal »

The Gorse and bushes on the M1 in Ireland:

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.9069338 ... 384!8i8192
If you go to the other carriageway you'll see the barrier is of the decapitating cheesewire type. If we must choose safety beats aesthetics.
Berk

Post by Berk »

^^That sort of reasoning leads to the concrete block.

And whilst the concrete block might save my life (such as it is), I very much doubt it would spare me (and any passengers there were) any serious injury.
Ruperts Trooper

Post by Ruperts Trooper »

Andy33gmail wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:57
Ruperts Trooper wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 05:17
Berk wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 02:07 You could always try covering the concrete with a hedge, so it looks natural. :bulb:
The do that with stone walls in Wales, along the A5 - guess how I found out!
That’s really nasty - doesn’t help you make the right choice if you’re committed to crashing and have to decide between various options like oncoming car/hedge/ditch/telegraph pole/cliff/sheep
It was in heavy snow in a Hillman Imp - not the best car to lose the back end so no decisions to make, just sit there and wait for the inevitable.
Lifelong motorhead
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

You're missing the point and focusing purely on "concrete".

Corrugated steel deforms as you hit it and the tensioning throws you back into traffic where you will likely be t-boned as your panic reactions to correct the vehicle result in a spin.

At the same time vehicles on the other carriageway are showered with debris and there are potentially two pile ups forming as a result.

You will scrape along the concrete barrier, your car will absorb most of the energy meaning that whilst your driver's side is totally ruined and your wheels are no longer aligned as the lip of the barrier catches them you are still facing forwards, alive but probably needing new underpants.

I know what I prefer the sound of, although not crashing to begin with is best.
Bryn

Andy33gmail

Post by Andy33gmail »

I wonder whether a gravel trap could mitigate the impact?
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Throwing lots of gravel around a live motorway doesn't strike me as a good plan.

It's the A14, not Imola.
Bryn

Alderpoint

Post by Alderpoint »

Bryn666 wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 19:29 Throwing lots of gravel around a live motorway doesn't strike me as a good plan.
A friend was driving southbound on the M80 when a car on the northbound carriageway went into the central reservation and sprayed tennis-ball sized rocks on him: Bonnet and wing severly impacted, fortunately the one that landed on his windscreen didn't get through. He managed to drive it back to Birmingham though.
Let it snow.
A9NWIL

Post by A9NWIL »

EpicChef wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 22:04 For me a concrete barrier looks much cleaner, because grass growing between the Armco just looks rather messy. The concrete barrier on new ALR schemes and the A14 gives the central reservation a very clean look.

Also, although most concrete central barriers aren't tall enough for this, a tall concrete barrier can help to prevent "rubbernecking", in other words if an accident happens on one carriageway people on the other side won't be able to see it, so won't slow down.
A tall concrete barrier would also help prevent lorries going over them.
Formerly known as 'lortjw'
mikehindsonevans

Post by mikehindsonevans »

I have just arrived in Cambridge after a hilarious diversion. The advance warnings were displayed from Kettering as I headed eastwards, advising an A14 closure from j25 to j31 (Histon).

Great traffic management from Cambridge Services, coning us down to one lane and then off at Bar Hill (I think, because none of the directional signs can be read without main beam, which annoys the poor sap in front of you). There's a Tesco just south on the second roundabout (where the "A14 East" diversion signs were sending us).

Unfortunately, a few absent diversion signs had a lot of us back on the Westbound carriageway heading back towards Huntington and Godmanchester.

We went past Cambridge Services and were then directed off, up over and back onto the eastbound A14!

Arrived at the closure a second time. This time, many of us thought "******* this for a game of soldiers, I have a bed waiting for me". Thus a large convoy headed out towards Oakington, eventually rejoining the A14 Eastbound at J31 having explored Histon.

Not a good night for HA and their signage monkeys, many of whom were sitting in their well-illuminated lorries at critical points, believing that their job was done.

Sorry lads, not tonight it wasn't.

G'night.
Mike
Mike Hindson-Evans.
Never argue with a conspiracy theorist.
They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
RichardA35
Elected Committee Member

Post by RichardA35 »

mikehindsonevans wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 00:08 I have just arrived in Cambridge after a hilarious diversion. The advance warnings were displayed from Kettering as I headed eastwards, advising an A14 closure from j25 to j31 (Histon).

Great traffic management from Cambridge Services, coning us down to one lane and then off at Bar Hill (I think, because none of the directional signs can be read without main beam, which annoys the poor sap in front of you). There's a Tesco just south on the second roundabout (where the "A14 East" diversion signs were sending us).

Unfortunately, a few absent diversion signs had a lot of us back on the Westbound carriageway heading back towards Huntington and Godmanchester.

We went past Cambridge Services and were then directed off, up over and back onto the eastbound A14!

Arrived at the closure a second time. This time, many of us thought "******* this for a game of soldiers, I have a bed waiting for me". Thus a large convoy headed out towards Oakington, eventually rejoining the A14 Eastbound at J31 having explored Histon.

Not a good night for HA and their signage monkeys, many of whom were sitting in their well-illuminated lorries at critical points, believing that their job was done.

G'night.
Mike
Please let us know the response to your complaint/enquiry to the organisation concerned.
I am sure they will want to know your experience of what went wrong and learn from it.
A43Corby

Post by A43Corby »

mikehindsonevans wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 00:08 I have just arrived in Cambridge after a hilarious diversion. The advance warnings were displayed from Kettering as I headed eastwards, advising an A14 closure from j25 to j31 (Histon).

G'night.
Mike
I got clobbered by this too. I was on my way to Cambridge and was running a few minutes late knowing the closure was imminent and arrived at the closure just 1 minute before it was due to start only to find the cones already in place, I would have only been 10-15 minutes from my destination at this point. Initially the traffic was blocked by an HGV driver on the western side of the Bar Hill roundabout who appeared to be asking the occupants of a HA vehicle for guidance, the resulting diversions then took us across the A14 at Cambridge Services then back up to Godmanchester and down the A1198.

By the time I got back to the A14 I realised if I'd carried on I would have missed most of what I was actually going to Cambridge for (it would have probably taken me another 20-30 minutes from that point) and just rejoined it westbound. What an utter waste of time and petrol!
roadtester

Post by roadtester »

IMHO the quality of the diversions has been the worst parts of the scheme.

I suspect one of the problems is that there are so many and they have to change so frequently.
Electrophorus Electricus

Check out #davidsdailycar on Mastodon
Arcuarius

Post by Arcuarius »

So apparently the A1 now starts, according to the driver location signs, at the new entry-slip from the A14. What an utter joy (!) it was to be greeted with A1 - A - 0.1 on joining :roll:

Who designs this sh*t?
"Accuse the other side of that which you are guilty."
- some extreme-right nutcase

1973-2007 Never forgotten
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

Arcuarius wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 13:33 So apparently the A1 now starts, according to the driver location signs, at the new entry-slip from the A14. What an utter joy (!) it was to be greeted with A1 - A - 0.1 on joining :roll:

Who designs this sh*t?
That's because there's several datum points on the A1. The DLS signs just make that more visible. It would be better to start again with them probably, but it's far too late now....