A14 Cambridge to Huntingdon "news"

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

KeithW

Re: A14 Cambridge to Huntingdon

Post by KeithW »

MotorwayGuy wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 21:44
NICK 647063 wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 19:59
Big Nick wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 13:15 That's a good question. The yellow gantries are still up by St Ives but I haven't gone any further up.
The cameras might be inactive for all we know but an empty, unpoliced dual carriageway is just asking for racer trouble.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk
The cameras were only for the A14 issues, I suspect as this is now the A1307 and it’s not got the huge amount of traffic or HGV’s then the cameras are not needed, obviously this could lead to the road becoming a racetrack but unless accidents happen then I assume justifying the cost of keeping and maintaining the cameras isn’t viable.
I'm not sure some of them ever worked, I knew someone who regularly drove above 80 between Fenstanton and Bar Hill and never got anything!
The issue with average speed cameras was between the A1198 and Alconbury Weald as I recall.
doebag

Re: A14 Cambridge to Huntingdon "news"

Post by doebag »

Alderpoint wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 15:58 I notice that google maps is showing the A1307 south from the Brampton Road/Edison Bell Way as open.

When did that happen? Or have google jumped the gun? (It's still showing as under construction on OSM.)
Drove the A1307 from Alconbury today.
The connection of the road with Brampton Rd is still not open.
It was very strange to drive what was the A14 and see the water tower seemingly in the middle of a field.

Quoting fixed
Runwell

Post by Runwell »

Looks like the old viaduct has almost gone.
Brampton Road looks a strange sight: https://www.huntspost.co.uk/news/a14-vi ... um=twitter
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

Nice photo - it's been strange this last year or so with half a viaduct hanging over the road and railway.
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
kiran_mk2

Post by kiran_mk2 »

Having driven the whole length of the new road a few times over the Christmas period I noticed that the vast majority of the speed cameras still have signs saying "camera not in use". The only exception is the e/b one between Bar Hill and Girton but given the other signs all appear to be there I wouldn't surprised if that sign has simply fallen over.

Given that it's been 2 years since the new section opened and over 18 months since the full scheme was opened I find it very odd that the speed cameras haven't been activated yet.
beauchampboiler

Post by beauchampboiler »

kiran_mk2 wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 12:49 Having driven the whole length of the new road a few times over the Christmas period I noticed that the vast majority of the speed cameras still have signs saying "camera not in use". The only exception is the e/b one between Bar Hill and Girton but given the other signs all appear to be there I wouldn't surprised if that sign has simply fallen over.

Given that it's been 2 years since the new section opened and over 18 months since the full scheme was opened I find it very odd that the speed cameras haven't been activated yet.
There was a discussion about this a year or so ago (page 195) and from what I gather the combination of VSL and HADECS on an all-purpose road makes the cameras legally unusable without further legislation. I've also driven this stretch of road extensively and have only seen the cameras flash twice, both times on the same journey. It was late at night, no variable limits were in place and no one appeared to be speeding so was presumably a test.
ravenbluemoon
Committee Member

Post by ravenbluemoon »

It's very strange driving that new section A14 as 99% of drivers seem to keep within the speed limit (+ standard margin). It's very rare to see anyone exceeding 80 - if it were a similarly quiet* three/four lane motorway like the A1(M) to the north you'd have a steady stream of cars belting along lane 3 at 90.

*I've only driven the road at night so far - so it's quiet to me. Experiences may vary during normal hours.
Tony Alice (they,them)
~~~~~
Owner of a classic rust heap/money pit, and other unremarkable older vehicles.
Usually found with a head in an old map or road atlas.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Ask me if you want to get involved!

beauchampboiler

Post by beauchampboiler »

ravenbluemoon wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 17:42 It's very strange driving that new section A14 as 99% of drivers seem to keep within the speed limit (+ standard margin). It's very rare to see anyone exceeding 80 - if it were a similarly quiet* three/four lane motorway like the A1(M) to the north you'd have a steady stream of cars belting along lane 3 at 90.

*I've only driven the road at night so far - so it's quiet to me. Experiences may vary during normal hours.
I've noticed the same thing. If I cruise at GPS 70mph on the new A14, I'm one of the fastest cars on the road but on the A1(M) I'm one of the slowest. Guess it's fear of the non-functional speed cameras leading to people erring on the side of caution, maybe doing 68-70mph indicated which is actually significantly below the limit. It's the same on smart motorways, which leads to the odd situation where the highest quality roads have the lowest speeds due to the number of cameras. Average speeds seem significantly lower on the D4(M) sections of the M25 vs. the low quality D2 stretches of the A12 nearby.
kiran_mk2

Post by kiran_mk2 »

ravenbluemoon wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 17:42 It's very strange driving that new section A14 as 99% of drivers seem to keep within the speed limit (+ standard margin). It's very rare to see anyone exceeding 80 - if it were a similarly quiet* three/four lane motorway like the A1(M) to the north you'd have a steady stream of cars belting along lane 3 at 90.

I can't speak for other apps, but all the cameras are highlighted in Apple Maps so I guess a lot of drivers slow as they are warned by their GPS app and don't know that they aren't operational. Plus a lot of regular drivers on this route are likely used to the old average speed camera setup and have assumed that the new system will be the same.
haymansafc

Post by haymansafc »

I've driven it around half a dozen times so far. I'm pretty sure all of those occasions have either been a Saturday or Sunday and I've noticed the same... Regardless of what lane, the traffic has always been in the 60-70mph region. This goes for the new bypassed section at Huntington all the way down past the TOTSO to junction 33.

Speaking of the A14 in these parts, I'd love to know what's going on at Cambridge Services at the moment. It seems to have gone incredibly scruffy compared to how it used to be, which is a shame as I used to rate it. The lorries are now all stacked up in a new parking section just off the A14 (no idea if this is perminent or not?). I assume they're extending the car park across the old lorry park section which, to be fair, is desperately needed as in recent years it's always been ram packed. I avoided it altogether on my last drive in this area (last month) and I used Brampton Hut.
The journey is never over until the arrival.
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

haymansafc wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 15:30
Speaking of the A14 in these parts, I'd love to know what's going on at Cambridge Services at the moment. It seems to have gone incredibly scruffy compared to how it used to be, which is a shame as I used to rate it. The lorries are now all stacked up in a new parking section just off the A14 (no idea if this is perminent or not?). I assume they're extending the car park across the old lorry park section which, to be fair, is desperately needed as in recent years it's always been ram packed. I avoided it altogether on my last drive in this area (last month) and I used Brampton Hut.
From Motorway Services online
In early 2021, Extra started work to significantly change the parking layout at the site including the introduction of over 100 new HGV parking bays to the north of the site as well as reconfiguring the main car park and relocating the caravan and coach park too. These plans will also create a large looped circuit around the back of the main amenity building from the new HGV park to the main access roads. The new HGV parking area opened in Autumn 2021 followed by the new car park later that year. The new coach and caravan parking areas are due to follow in early 2022.

Shell were granted permission to build six IONITY electric vehicle charging bays next to their forecourt in April 2021. These would be in addition to the four already available in the main car park (and two which aren't in use).

Extra hold planning permission to build a drive thru Starbucks beside the site exit.

Cambridge services is positioned extremely close to the Meridian line, which crosses the A14 by the eastern slip roads. It's the only current service area to have that unusual distinction.
ravenbluemoon
Committee Member

Post by ravenbluemoon »

haymansafc wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 15:30 Speaking of the A14 in these parts, I'd love to know what's going on at Cambridge Services at the moment. It seems to have gone incredibly scruffy compared to how it used to be, which is a shame as I used to rate it. The lorries are now all stacked up in a new parking section just off the A14 (no idea if this is perminent or not?). I assume they're extending the car park across the old lorry park section which, to be fair, is desperately needed as in recent years it's always been ram packed. I avoided it altogether on my last drive in this area (last month) and I used Brampton Hut.
I tend to avoid it because travelling east you need to negotiate 5,287 roundabouts to get to it. Slight exaggeration, but certainly feels that many when you're busting for a leak...
kiran_mk2 wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:51 I can't speak for other apps, but all the cameras are highlighted in Apple Maps so I guess a lot of drivers slow as they are warned by their GPS app and don't know that they aren't operational.

Could be so - I don't usually have any electronic navigation aids in my car. I've noticed a few of the yellow "Camera Not In Use" signs have fallen off the posts recently, that could be cause for caution.
Tony Alice (they,them)
~~~~~
Owner of a classic rust heap/money pit, and other unremarkable older vehicles.
Usually found with a head in an old map or road atlas.

Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Ask me if you want to get involved!

Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

ravenbluemoon wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 18:35I tend to avoid it because travelling east you need to negotiate 5,287 roundabouts to get to it. Slight exaggeration, but certainly feels that many when you're busting for a leak...
I have to agree - the more roundabouts between the road and the service area car park, the less likely I am to stop. See also Donington Park on the M1.
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

Chris5156 wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 22:09
ravenbluemoon wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 18:35I tend to avoid it because travelling east you need to negotiate 5,287 roundabouts to get to it. Slight exaggeration, but certainly feels that many when you're busting for a leak...
I have to agree - the more roundabouts between the road and the service area car park, the less likely I am to stop. See also Donington Park on the M1.
I didn't think that Donington was too bad. Tamworth on M42 is awful.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

Chris Bertram wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 22:16
Many of the single-site-at-a-junction services are very much easier in one direction the other. Tamworth southbound is a nightmare northbound not too bad.
Make poetry history.

Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
Ruperts Trooper

Post by Ruperts Trooper »

Big L wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 06:46
Chris Bertram wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 22:16
Many of the single-site-at-a-junction services are very much easier in one direction the other. Tamworth southbound is a nightmare northbound not too bad.
BUT - the M42 J10 at Tamworth meets the latest DfT standard - the problem is allowing several major distribution centres nearby without full grade separation - the two main traffic flows are both "right turns" which conflict with each other, A5E>M42S and M42N>A5E -and not helped by destination lane markings on the road rather than advance vertical signage.
Lifelong motorhead
roadphotos

Post by roadphotos »

Is the 2 mile dual carriageway section of the A1307 (former A14) between the A141 at Huntingdon and the A1(M) and B1043 near Alconbury a Primary Route ?. I know that all of the other sections of the A1307 are Non Primary with white signage but I'm not sure about this 2 mile section as it is shown on the latest up to date maps as a Non Primary Route but GSV shows a new sign on the A1307 on approach to the A141 junction from the south. The sign shows the A1307 towards the A1(M) as a Primary Route (coloured green). All of the other signs shown on GSV on the 2 mile section of the A1307 (between the A141 and the A1(M)) are green but they are only temporary signs as it looks like the new ones aren't yet in place. Has anyone driven along this part of the A1307 lately and if so are the new signs green or white ?. It makes sense for this section of the A1307 to be a Primary Route as it's the signed route from the A1(M) to Huntingdon and St Ives.
jervi

Post by jervi »

roadphotos wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 22:16 Is the 2 mile dual carriageway section of the A1307 (former A14) between the A141 at Huntingdon and the A1(M) and B1043 near Alconbury a Primary Route ?. I know that all of the other sections of the A1307 are Non Primary with white signage but I'm not sure about this 2 mile section as it is shown on the latest up to date maps as a Non Primary Route but GSV shows a new sign on the A1307 on approach to the A141 junction from the south. The sign shows the A1307 towards the A1(M) as a Primary Route (coloured green). All of the other signs shown on GSV on the 2 mile section of the A1307 (between the A141 and the A1(M)) are green but they are only temporary signs as it looks like the new ones aren't yet in place. Has anyone driven along this part of the A1307 lately and if so are the new signs green or white ?. It makes sense for this section of the A1307 to be a Primary Route as it's the signed route from the A1(M) to Huntingdon and St Ives.
I believe that section of the A1307 will remain primary route. After all it is a Dual Carriageway connecting two primary routes together, so why wouldn't it be primary?
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

jervi wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 22:29 I believe that section of the A1307 will remain primary route. After all it is a Dual Carriageway connecting two primary routes together, so why wouldn't it be primary?
Indeed the old A14 (A604 at the time) was the Cambridge to Huntingdon Road and was dualled in the 1970's. At the time the old S2/S3 between Huntingdon and Cambridge it was hideously overloaded and downright dangerous with many flat T junctions.
https://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news/h ... e-12164066
angellevski

Post by angellevski »

Is there any information about the new road linking Edison Bell Way and the new A1307 near the station in Huntingdon? I beliebe it was supposed to open in Spring 2022