A14 Cambridge to Huntingdon "news"

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

KeithW

Re: A14 Cambridge to Huntingdon "news"

Post by KeithW »

James wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:50 Its coming along well now.

The only thing will be the abrupt change of quality when the A1(M) goes back to the A1 at Buckden.

I think this will accelerate calls for the A1 to be finished; either upgrading Buckden to Black Cat, or the whole thing to Baldock as a blue line. Its great the A14 getting improved but will likely funnel more traffic down the M11 which is only 2 lanes until you get to Stanstead.
The quality of the A1 at Buckden already falls pretty dramatically so I don't really see that happening to be honest. You may get a small increase in traffic heading south from the A1(M) to the M11 due to lower congestion on the A14 but I doubt it will be a major effect. Anybody using the M11 to get to east London avoiding the Black Cat is likely already doing it.
dcrc2

Post by dcrc2 »

There's been another traffic switch at Girton: if you're travelling on the A14 westbound, you now merge with the M11 much earlier than before. You still have the 270-degree loop and the nasty crossover with M11->A14(E) traffic, but you now join the M11 immediately after that crossover, rather than following the extended sliproad down to the A1307. The new merge is a lane gain, taking you on to what was the hard shoulder of the M11.

This means that A14 WB traffic no longer crosses the line of the future LAR, so perhaps we will soon see the LAR connected up.
kiran_mk2

Post by kiran_mk2 »

Another change - the new bridge at Swavesey has been opened to traffic. The old bridge has been closed but the original slip roads remain (and likely will until the new A14 carriageway is constructed). I believe the old bridge will be taken down across the weekend of 17/18th November and will require a full A14 closure.
ManomayLR
Assistant Site Manager

Post by ManomayLR »

Is there any sign of MS4s or lane control signs popping up?
Though roads may not put a smile on everyone's face, there is one road that always will: the road to home.
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

EpicChef wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 21:59 Is there any sign of MS4s or lane control signs popping up?
I would be surprised if there were, this sort of thing is installed towards the end of a project. Its too easy and costly to accidentally damage. At most you put the civils in to mount it on.
ManomayLR
Assistant Site Manager

Post by ManomayLR »

KeithW wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 23:59
EpicChef wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 21:59 Is there any sign of MS4s or lane control signs popping up?
I would be surprised if there were, this sort of thing is installed towards the end of a project. Its too easy and costly to accidentally damage. At most you put the civils in to mount it on.
Point taken.
Though roads may not put a smile on everyone's face, there is one road that always will: the road to home.
darkcape

Post by darkcape »

Gantries are up at the Brampton end but no technology until near the end. And yes, MS4s and AMIs will be going up.
Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
Berk

Post by Berk »

*EpicChef goes gaga in delight* :lol: :wink:
ManomayLR
Assistant Site Manager

Post by ManomayLR »

Berk wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 21:00 *EpicChef goes gaga in delight* :lol: :wink:
Quite. I mean I'm excited, we haven't seen new motorway builds since the 70s!!! I'm always confused as to why the A1M from Leeming to Barton didn't automatically get ALR and instead got a hard shoulder?
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

EpicChef wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 22:49
Berk wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 21:00 *EpicChef goes gaga in delight* :lol: :wink:
Quite. I mean I'm excited, we haven't seen new motorway builds since the 70s!!! I'm always confused as to why the A1M from Leeming to Barton didn't automatically get ALR and instead got a hard shoulder?
Because the projects were really all planned and started before the current craze, and land costs are much lower there than on the southern section of the M1 or around the major cities where ALR is going on
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
Berk

Post by Berk »

Not entirely true, inasmuch as Smart Motorways have been the biggest share of HE and government spending on roads in the past decade. 🤨
Stevie D

Post by Stevie D »

EpicChef wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 22:49I'm always confused as to why the A1M from Leeming to Barton didn't automatically get ALR and instead got a hard shoulder?
When building a new motorway, the cost of including a hard shoulder on a 3-lane motorway compared with having a smart 3-lane motorway with no hard shoulder is small. One of the main reasons that ALR/SM is popular for adding capacity to existing motorways is that it is cheaper to retro-fit, and therefore more cost effective when the motorway is already there. For the A1(M), that wasn't the case, it was a new build so it was relatively easy to build it with the hard shoulder. It also means that it will be easier to upgrade to 4-lane smartoway in the future if that additional capacity is needed.

And it may well also be that the road was planned long before ALR/SM was such a big thing and the plans never got updated...
Berk

Post by Berk »

Stevie D wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 23:25And it may well also be that the road was planned long before ALR/SM was such a big thing and the plans never got updated...
That’s almost certainly the case, because the Leemimg-Barton scheme was planned 10-15 years ago.
Johnathan404

Post by Johnathan404 »

EpicChef wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 22:49 I'm always confused as to why the A1M from Leeming to Barton didn't automatically get ALR and instead got a hard shoulder?
Classic SABRE member error: looking for logic where there is none.

Road improvements have always been inconsistent with each other and I wouldn't expect that to start changing now.
I have websites about: motorway services | Fareham
ManomayLR
Assistant Site Manager

Post by ManomayLR »

Stevie D wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 23:25
EpicChef wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 22:49I'm always confused as to why the A1M from Leeming to Barton didn't automatically get ALR and instead got a hard shoulder?
For the A1(M), that wasn't the case, it was a new build so it was relatively easy to build it with the hard shoulder. It also means that it will be easier to upgrade to 4-lane smartoway in the future if that additional capacity is needed.

And it may well also be that the road was planned long before ALR/SM was such a big thing and the plans never got updated...
Then they should have pre-fitted gateway gantries with MS4 and AMI/MS1 lane control signs (advisory for now) so that all an SM upgrade would take is the breaking of the hard shoulder line and construction of ERAs.
Jeni
Banned

Post by Jeni »

EpicChef wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 07:54
For the A1(M), that wasn't the case, it was a new build so it was relatively easy to build it with the hard shoulder. It also means that it will be easier to upgrade to 4-lane smartoway in the future if that additional capacity is needed.

Then they should have pre-fitted gateway gantries with MS4 and AMI/MS1 lane control signs (advisory for now) so that all an SM upgrade would take is the breaking of the hard shoulder line and construction of ERAs.
By the time that an upgrade would be needed there, the technology would be end of life and needed replacing anyway
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

Why? That would have increased cost and land take.Given this was built properly, i.e. with lots of lanes and "A" road LAR which itself bypasses towns and villages, it's not likely that this section is going to become overloaded and require ALR overnight - it might be 20 or 30 years down the line, and with the pace of technology change over the last 30 it's likely that anything that is built would be superseded by technological change.
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
mikehindsonevans

Post by mikehindsonevans »

c2R wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 08:15

Why? That would have increased cost and land take.Given this was built properly, i.e. with lots of lanes and "A" road LAR which itself bypasses towns and villages, it's not likely that this section is going to become overloaded and require ALR overnight - it might be 20 or 30 years down the line, and with the pace of technology change over the last 30 it's likely that anything that is built would be superseded by technological change.
May I table this for a review in 2023?
Mike Hindson-Evans.
Never argue with a conspiracy theorist.
They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

mikehindsonevans wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 09:49
c2R wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 08:15

May I table this for a review in 2023?
Ha, you can do, but the numbers to back this up.... M11 J6-J7 is D3M and no LAR with 2014 AADT of about 120,000. 2014 AADT for the A1(M) A61-A684 is 42,000 with a further 4,000 on the S2 LAR.

Traffic on the A1 will of course grow with improvements to the A66 and improvements to the A1 between Barton and Newcastle, but I'd say it's clear that there's a lot of capacity that could be used before it gets anywhere near needing ALR...
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

EpicChef wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 22:49Quite. I mean I'm excited, we haven't seen new motorway builds since the 70s!!!
Except for most of the A1(M), M20, M25, M40, M65, M77, M80, A74(M), large parts of the M3, the entire M6 Toll... :D