A14 Cambridge to Huntingdon "news"

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

JRN

Re: A14 Cambridge to Huntingdon "news"

Post by JRN »

EpicChef wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 09:45
A320Driver wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 08:41 I drove the new A14 from Brampton to M11 for the first time yesterday. One thing that stuck out was the fact that the ERAs are essentially the same as those found on smart motorways, whereas a new AP road would now have lay-bys segregated from the mainline. Therefore, the fact that the signs were changed from blue to green at the last minute would suggest to me a downgrade in the safety standards of a new AP route…
Note how the Emergency Area signs are not the same as the ones on motorways, and the lack of stopped vehicle detection.
They don't have the orange paint you find on ERAs on smart motorways now, I don't know why really as it would have the same benefits.

I don't really agree that this makes the new A14 a "downgrade" from AP standard though. Laybys are more dangerous because people use them routinely, pulling out into traffic at low speeds. The relevant section of A14 is only about 16 miles long, has a service station en route for routine stops (two if you count Brampton), so the ERAs are probably safer as they'll only be used in emergencies.
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

It's also more difficult to get into an ERA in an emergency if it separated by a physical island from the carriageway.
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
ManomayLR
Social Media Admin

Post by ManomayLR »

I think it's a mistake to compare this new stretch with elsewhere on the A14 or indeed any other AP dual carriageway.

In my eyes, it should be measured up against managed motorways.
Though roads may not put a smile on everyone's face, there is one road that always will: the road to home.
DB617

Post by DB617 »

EpicChef wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 22:41 I think it's a mistake to compare this new stretch with elsewhere on the A14 or indeed any other AP dual carriageway.

In my eyes, it should be measured up against managed motorways.
Agreed. All that separates the two are politics and coloured signs
WHBM

Post by WHBM »

For the first time I used the new A14 yesterday, both ways. What struck me, particularly on the southbound, was the appalling construction standard of it at the A1 junction. Sudden divergences of the white lining by 5 or 10 degrees, likewise in the surface levelling and changes in vertical curvature, such that at normal speed the suspension was suddenly bottoming out. Going south A1-A14 freeflow there's a complete Z-bend, maybe 40mph max the likes of which would never have made it through a design review a generation ago, let alone that you bridge across the A14, and a few moments later bridge back across it. Presumably done as a Z to make the bridge more perpendicular and cheapen its cost. It looks like the design of a first year university student. But whoever signed off the construction standard with the contractor ? Talk about third world amateurism. Elsewhere on the new road the design and construction are well done. Different contractor or subbie ?

Incidentally, right at the outside of the second part of the Z-bend there's an ERA. Must be the most likely place of all for a high speed out of control to leave the road.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

WHBM wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 09:23 For the first time I used the new A14 yesterday, both ways. What struck me, particularly on the southbound, was the appalling construction standard of it at the A1 junction. Sudden divergences of the white lining by 5 or 10 degrees, likewise in the surface levelling and changes in vertical curvature, such that at normal speed the suspension was suddenly bottoming out. Going south A1-A14 freeflow there's a complete Z-bend, maybe 40mph max the likes of which would never have made it through a design review a generation ago, let alone that you bridge across the A14, and a few moments later bridge back across it. Presumably done as a Z to make the bridge more perpendicular and cheapen its cost. It looks like the design of a first year university student. But whoever signed off the construction standard with the contractor ? Talk about third world amateurism. Elsewhere on the new road the design and construction are well done. Different contractor or subbie ?

Incidentally, right at the outside of the second part of the Z-bend there's an ERA. Must be the most likely place of all for a high speed out of control to leave the road.
Blame DMRB for that, it just can't cope with free-flow interchange design. That Z bend is fully compliant with standards - read the blurbs in the current document, anything that isn't a three level roundabout is actively discouraged because of 'landtake' or 'driver confusion', so we're lucky they even did this.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
Sunil_of_Yoxley

Post by Sunil_of_Yoxley »

WHBM wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 09:23 For the first time I used the new A14 yesterday, both ways. What struck me, particularly on the southbound, was the appalling construction standard of it at the A1 junction. Sudden divergences of the white lining by 5 or 10 degrees, likewise in the surface levelling and changes in vertical curvature, such that at normal speed the suspension was suddenly bottoming out. Going south A1-A14 freeflow there's a complete Z-bend, maybe 40mph max the likes of which would never have made it through a design review a generation ago, let alone that you bridge across the A14, and a few moments later bridge back across it. Presumably done as a Z to make the bridge more perpendicular and cheapen its cost. It looks like the design of a first year university student. But whoever signed off the construction standard with the contractor ? Talk about third world amateurism. Elsewhere on the new road the design and construction are well done. Different contractor or subbie ?

Sorry where is the Z-bend? And where do you bridge across the A14 twice?
My London railway station photos on Wikimedia Commons
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

Sunil_of_Yoxley wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 22:33

(My bold in the quoted text)

I've never done that route through that junction, but looking at it on GSV it doesn't look sharp at all. There is a double bend/reduce speed warning sign on the slip road. The emergency refuge is on an almost straight bit of the slip.

You do cross the A14 twice; under it, then more than a mile later, over it on the slip road.
Make poetry history.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
JohnnyMo

Post by JohnnyMo »

Something I noticed yesterday was this where the VSL ends. Then a little further along the original 50 Limit. Northbound at that point.

I wonder did anyone actually do the legal paper work to extend the 50 limit, or just put up the sign.
“The simple step of a courageous individual is not to take part in the lie" - Aleksandr I. Solzhenitsyn
Johnny Mo
JohnnyMo

Post by JohnnyMo »

Big L wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 08:11 .... The emergency refuge is on an almost straight bit of the slip.
Image getting out of the refuge from a standing start with this view and traffic doing 70.
“The simple step of a courageous individual is not to take part in the lie" - Aleksandr I. Solzhenitsyn
Johnny Mo
Sunil_of_Yoxley

JohnnyMo wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 09:48
Big L wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 08:11 .... The emergency refuge is on an almost straight bit of the slip.
Image getting out of the refuge from a standing start with this view and traffic doing 70.
I can see a lorry in lane 1 and a car in lane 2.
Sunil_of_Yoxley

Big L wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 08:11
Sunil_of_Yoxley wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 22:33

(My bold in the quoted text)

I've never done that route through that junction, but looking at it on GSV it doesn't look sharp at all. There is a double bend/reduce speed warning sign on the slip road. The emergency refuge is on an almost straight bit of the slip.

You do cross the A14 twice; under it, then more than a mile later, over it on the slip road.
Oh, yes I get you now!

I can only surmise they wanted to avoid both the A141 roundabout and any weaving from the A141 s/bound on-slip.
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

JohnnyMo wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 09:48
If you're legitimately in the refuge there is a sizeable chance you will have an AA/RAC or HE or police vehicle to help you. Plus electronic signs back down the slip road.
Make poetry history.

Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
WHBM

Post by WHBM »

Does DMRB have standards for ERA locations yet ? Possibly accounts for that one, and this one likewise on the M25 northern section as well, also nicely on a left-hand bend at a hillbrow, which must be the most restricted view in the whole section.

https://www.google.com/maps/@51.6884848 ... 384!8i8192
B1040

Post by B1040 »

JohnnyMo wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 09:42 Something I noticed yesterday was this where the VSL ends. Then a little further along the original 50 Limit. Northbound at that point.

I wonder did anyone actually do the legal paper work to extend the 50 limit, or just put up the sign.
I pass this pair of signs regularly and am slightly puzzled.
Best to assume the 50 starts at the first one.
jervi

Post by jervi »

WHBM wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 10:18 Does DMRB have standards for ERA locations yet ? Possibly accounts for that one, and this one likewise on the M25 northern section as well, also nicely on a left-hand bend at a hillbrow, which must be the most restricted view in the whole section.

https://www.google.com/maps/@51.6884848 ... 384!8i8192
GD 301 E9.6
https://www.standardsforhighways.co.uk/ ... 0b54f4b73c
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

Sunil_of_Yoxley wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 10:16
I can only surmise they wanted to avoid both the A141 roundabout and any weaving from the A141 s/bound on-slip.
the answer to this was discussed earlier in the thread, but as it's about a million pages I can't find it either

Anyway, essentially, the original solution was to put the A14 on a new carriageway and leave the A1 on the old carriageway - however, the funding available meant that the junction south of Brampton was originally designed to be really bad, with a 270 degree loop from the A14 to the A1 heading from Cambridge to Alconbury. By swapping the carriageways around in this way, they avoided that and someone came up with a very creative solution for the same cost. However, I agree that the camber seems a bit odd and the whole lot doesn't feel like , say, the sliproads at Ferrybridge where a similar arrangement occurs.
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
WHBM

Post by WHBM »

c2R wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 19:11 However, I agree that the camber seems a bit odd and the whole lot doesn't feel like , say, the sliproads at Ferrybridge where a similar arrangement occurs.
I had come through Ferrybridge a couple of hours earlier, but an accident ahead further down the A1 meant I did the whole of the link at about 5mph. However, I do recall from the past that it was a nicely done piece of work. Yes, the camber, the transition curves, the forward sighting, etc at A1/A14 just feels poorly done.
Hdeng16

Post by Hdeng16 »

Most of the ferrybridge links are 50mph limited too though. I think.
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

Hdeng16 wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 20:59 Most of the ferrybridge links are 50mph limited too though. I think.
They are, but how anyone would propose to carry out enforcement on them stumps me. Advisory limits for the bends, as is often seen elsewhere would seem far more sensible.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!