A14 Cambridge to Huntingdon "news"

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

thatapanydude

Re: A14 Cambridge to Huntingdon "news"

Post by thatapanydude »

Jon Waters wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 19:02 Drove the new bit of the A14 on Christmas Day and noticed the bridges looked as if they would take a 4th lane in future. I may be late in posting this as i am sure someone else has mentioned it!
Though the viaduct over the ECML looks only to be enough for 3 lane upon initial inspection.
A1/A1(M) >>> M1
kiran_mk2

Post by kiran_mk2 »

It would not surprise me if the section from Swavesy to Bar Hill needs to be upgraded to 4 lanes to cope with the commuter traffic from the villages. The sheer volume of traffic trying to merge on to the A14 in the mornings is still causing a massive bottleneck and I can't imagine it will be that much better with one extra lane. A lane gain at that point would be much better. It might be that the opening of the new LAR from Swavesy all the way to Huntingdon Road may reduce some of the traffic so I will reserve full judgement until the road is fully open.
DB617

Post by DB617 »

thatapanydude wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 20:01
Jon Waters wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 19:02 Drove the new bit of the A14 on Christmas Day and noticed the bridges looked as if they would take a 4th lane in future. I may be late in posting this as i am sure someone else has mentioned it!
Though the viaduct over the ECML looks only to be enough for 3 lane upon initial inspection.
To a cynic that would almost seem like an A42 situation: quietly engineer in an exorbitant cost or insurmountable problem (like closing the ECML) to prevent the issue of widening from every coming up.
thatapanydude

Post by thatapanydude »

DB617 wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 19:01
thatapanydude wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 20:01
To a cynic that would almost seem like an A42 situation: quietly engineer in an exorbitant cost or insurmountable problem (like closing the ECML) to prevent the issue of widening from every coming up.
It's not just restricted to the A14 as well. The works have left an upgrade of the A1 almost impossible due to the D2 sized bridges, the new alignment following straight onto the Buckden bypass and the postings of concrete supporting the gantries right upto the nearside lane (meaning a 4th lane or HS is impossible). Notwithstanding the Black Cat scheme which will only see a D2 sized (might be D3 at best, but the curves are tight) underpass under the A421.
A1/A1(M) >>> M1
roadtester

Post by roadtester »

Given how much of the A14 is already D3* any upgrade at D2 that doesn't leave room for expansion is probably a bit misguided.

* that's a decent stretch near Kettering, most of the Huntingdon to Cambridge scheme, much of the Cambridge bypass and at the multiplex with the A11 at the Newmarket bypass.
Electrophorus Electricus

Check out #davidsdailycar on Mastodon
roadtester

Post by roadtester »

A local news source has a quite detailed article about how changes associated with the scheme are intended to benefit Huntingdon.

https://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news/c ... ssion=true
Electrophorus Electricus

Check out #davidsdailycar on Mastodon
mikehindsonevans

Post by mikehindsonevans »

Positive progress from Friday night 10th Jan. Westbound from the M11 onto A14 towards Cheshire. Once past Cambridge Services, the 50mph limit clears, the third lane opens up and the road is clear.

Approaching the A1, left lane veers away. Two lanes then thread up alongside the A1 before looping up, left and westwards past Brampton Services, to run neatly into the original alignment of the road to Kettering and beyond (through Catthorpe and onto the M6).

The smartification works past Corley svcs now heading towards March (2020) we are told) completion. We then roll onwards onto the HSR M6 past Brum, (with Armco not concrete in the central reservation).

This just leaves the M6 n/b j13 to j15 works - which actually flowed tonight.

Maybe this weekly nightmare journey is about to turn a corner?
Last edited by mikehindsonevans on Sat Jan 11, 2020 18:01, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Hindson-Evans.
Never argue with a conspiracy theorist.
They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
darkcape

Post by darkcape »

We can't build every scheme with futureproofing "just in case". If we widen the whole route to D4 do we leave an extra lane in case we widen to D5? This is already an upgrade, when will it stop?

The Dry Drayton bridge is the original so that would have to be replaced for any further widening. Bar Hill junction IS excessively wide, but this was to aid the construction sequence and TM phasing, not futureproofing.

The wide areas on A14 mainline at Brampton & Ellington and the new Girton westbound loop are for visibility due to the concrete barrier, again nothing to do with futureproofing.
Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

As I've said before, if existing bridges still have the lifespan and are wide enough for the scheme, there's no point in replacing them. Similarly, the junction at Brampton may require significant remodelling in future anyway, if the A1 to the south was made motorway offline, or if any large settlement was added, or traffic patterns changed significantly.

Remember that the original plan was for a very nasty junction at the A1 involving a tight loop, and the scheme as built is a signficiant improvement on that. The better design was presumably made in the bounds of the available funding, and therefore doesn't seem perfect. I've now travelled both ways on it this week, and do feel that the northbound A14>A1 sliproad feels tight...
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
ABB125

Post by ABB125 »

darkcape wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 23:46 The wide areas on A14 mainline at Brampton & Ellington and the new Girton westbound loop are for visibility due to the concrete barrier, again nothing to do with futureproofing.
Why are concrete barriers used on modern road schemes? I always thought that metal was better because it will deform slightly and thus reduce the force of the collision; as far as I'm aware concrete doesn't deform.
Also, why does a concrete barrier have such an effect on sighting?
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

Concrete barriers are more durable - so if there are collisions, the intention is that they remain undamaged. They are also supposed to be securely affixed to the ground and therefore reduce the risk of crossovers by large vehicles (although this did happen on the M25).

The durability aspect is important as it means that road crews aren't then sent out to fix barriers, requiring additional traffic management etc. I believe the risk assessments come out that they're safer overall compared with metal barriers, and have less motorcycle shredding effects than the wire barriers.
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
Al__S

Post by Al__S »

Also, on straighter sections, the concrete barriers allow the central reservation to be just the width of the barrier.
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

ABB125 wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:00Also, why does a concrete barrier have such an effect on sighting?
Because, from a normal car drivers' position, you can't see through it and you can't see much over it. When travelling around a right-hand bend with a concrete central barrier, you therefore need clear space between the road and barrier to increase your forward visibility.
ABB125

Post by ABB125 »

Al__S wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:15 Also, on straighter sections, the concrete barriers allow the central reservation to be just the width of the barrier.
Chris5156 wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 14:44
ABB125 wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:00Also, why does a concrete barrier have such an effect on sighting?
Because, from a normal car drivers' position, you can't see through it and you can't see much over it. When travelling around a right-hand bend with a concrete central barrier, you therefore need clear space between the road and barrier to increase your forward visibility.
c2R wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:09 Concrete barriers are more durable - so if there are collisions, the intention is that they remain undamaged. They are also supposed to be securely affixed to the ground and therefore reduce the risk of crossovers by large vehicles (although this did happen on the M25).

The durability aspect is important as it means that road crews aren't then sent out to fix barriers, requiring additional traffic management etc. I believe the risk assessments come out that they're safer overall compared with metal barriers, and have less motorcycle shredding effects than the wire barriers.
Thanks for your replies.
ManomayLR
Assistant Site Manager

Post by ManomayLR »

For me a concrete barrier looks much cleaner, because grass growing between the Armco just looks rather messy. The concrete barrier on new ALR schemes and the A14 gives the central reservation a very clean look.

Also, although most concrete central barriers aren't tall enough for this, a tall concrete barrier can help to prevent "rubbernecking", in other words if an accident happens on one carriageway people on the other side won't be able to see it, so won't slow down.
Though roads may not put a smile on everyone's face, there is one road that always will: the road to home.
Berk

Post by Berk »

I’m always afraid of driving into them myself. Run into one of them and you’ll be clobbered (not to mention the car).

And they’re ugly things, really dominate the reserve.
ManomayLR
Assistant Site Manager

Post by ManomayLR »

They look slimmer and not as “messy”, for me I do like the cleaner look.
Though roads may not put a smile on everyone's face, there is one road that always will: the road to home.
nowster
Treasurer

Post by nowster »

EpicChef wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 22:04 For me a concrete barrier looks much cleaner, because grass growing between the Armco just looks rather messy.
Not just grass. The saplings here have grown a far bit since Google passed by:

https://goo.gl/maps/nk5TzgBP4rpmaFNj9
Berk

Post by Berk »

You could always try covering the concrete with a hedge, so it looks natural. :bulb:
Ruperts Trooper

Post by Ruperts Trooper »

Berk wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 02:07 You could always try covering the concrete with a hedge, so it looks natural. :bulb:
The do that with stone walls in Wales, along the A5 - guess how I found out!
Lifelong motorhead