A14 Cambridge to Huntingdon "news"

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Euan

Re: A14 Cambridge to Huntingdon "news"

Post by Euan »

c2R wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 22:37
Euan wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 22:26 The section of the A1 between Alconbury and Brampton does have one at-grade LILO junction that will need to be removed before the road can be upgraded to motorway.
Do you mean the one with Woolley Road by HLS? it's going to join instead with the LAR.
That's the one. The local access road is already shown on OSM as a planned road running along the west side of the A1 between Alconbury and the new junction on the A14.
E-roads, M-roads, A-roads, N-roads, B-roads, R-roads, C-roads, L-roads, U-roads, footpaths
Lewis1997

Post by Lewis1997 »

May seem a daft question, but based on sabre wiki, the A1307 extension to Huntingdon will be of at least primary status from Cambridge services to Huntingdon. Does anyone know if this is the case? And with regards to the A14(M) potentially, I would assume this could well be an ALR stretch?
Berk

Post by Berk »

Why would the A1307 be primary?? It’s supposed to be a local road for local people.

There’s nothing for you here. 😝
Berk

Post by Berk »

I think reports of the D3M south of Brampton Hut have been exaggerated. Progress seems painfully slow here.

It’s still subject to a 40 limit too. Still, it’s not as long as it used to be.
Lewis1997

Post by Lewis1997 »

Berk wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 14:20 Why would the A1307 be primary?? It’s supposed to be a local road for local people.

Well that’s my question entirely!!! Just look at wiki for the A1307 to see for yourself!
Attachments
60117867-9496-4440-B0E1-D7D24F494B4E.png
Berk

Post by Berk »

No, you’re looking at it as if it’s going to be part of the A14 still. The whole point of the project is to create a non-trunk LAR.

HE & CCC don’t want the whole world using the A1307 as if it was still the A14. Which is why Huntingdon Viaduct is going to be removed.

And if it’s going to be non-trunk, why should it be primary??
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

Berk wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 15:18 No, you’re looking at it as if it’s going to be part of the A14 still. The whole point of the project is to create a non-trunk LAR.

HE & CCC don’t want the whole world using the A1307 as if it was still the A14. Which is why Huntingdon Viaduct is going to be removed.

Because its a road between Cambridge and Huntingdon both of which are primary destinations and it will be the only road between those places.

Most primary roads are not trunk.
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

Lewis1997 wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 14:43
Berk wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 14:20 Why would the A1307 be primary?? It’s supposed to be a local road for local people.

Well that’s my question entirely!!! Just look at wiki for the A1307 to see for yourself!

This refers to the A1307 as it is now not the new stretch that will be the downgraded A14.
Lewis1997

Post by Lewis1997 »

Berk wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 15:18 No, you’re looking at it as if it’s going to be part of the A14 still. The whole point of the project is to create a non-trunk LAR.

In case you hadn’t seen the plans or fly through regarding the new A14, how are commuters from Huntingdon expected to get to Cambridge? Seems silly to me to encourage these commuters to first head WEST towards the A1, then south to join the new A14 before then making any actual progression towards Cambridge.
Berk

Post by Berk »

KeithW wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 15:27

Because its a road between Cambridge and Huntingdon both of which are primary destinations and it will be the only road between those places.

Most primary roads are not trunk.
It will still be possible to do that journey on the A14(M) - but you might have to enter on the A141 (what is currently A14 Brampton-Spittals).
Berk

Post by Berk »

Lewis1997 wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 15:32

In case you hadn’t seen the plans or fly through regarding the new A14, how are commuters from Huntingdon expected to get to Cambridge? Seems silly to me to encourage these commuters to first head WEST towards the A1, then south to join the new A14 before then making any actual progression towards Cambridge.
You do also know that the new road will be S2 from Trinity Foot into Cambridge?? And switch sides at the same point??

Yet another reason not to be primary. Although I take your point, there are a lot of roads like this, they are usually historic and not the result of bypasses.
Lewis1997

Post by Lewis1997 »

Berk wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 15:48
Lewis1997 wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 15:32

You do also know that the new road will be S2 from Trinity Foot into Cambridge?? And switch sides at the same point??

Yes, which is where all traffic (bar non-motorway/expressway traffic (depending on the upcoming decision) join the A14 and then get to the area of Cambridge they wish to do so; not all will head into Cambridge via Girton.

Yet another reason not to be primary.

Not sure what you mean here as the A1307 LAR only becomes primary after Swavesey to Huntingdon as the A14 peels away to the south.

Although I take your point, there are a lot of roads like this, they are usually historic and not the result of bypasses.
Berk

Post by Berk »

I think you’re putting a lot of faith into one line of an entry on the Wiki - which has quite likely been cut’n’pasted.

The LAR can hardly be primary without the ability to carry large volumes of traffic. Which is going to converge on a B-road - Brampton Road - in order to cross the railway in Huntingdon.

I agree some of the road may still ‘feel like’ the A14, but it certainly won’t in Huntingdon.
Lewis1997

Post by Lewis1997 »

Berk wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 16:07 I think you’re putting a lot of faith into one line of an entry on the Wiki - which has quite likely been cut’n’pasted.

The LAR can hardly be primary without the ability to carry large volumes of traffic. Which is going to converge on a B-road - Brampton Road - in order to cross the railway in Huntingdon.

I agree some of the road may still ‘feel like’ the A14, but it certainly won’t in Huntingdon.
Whilst I agree a primary route heading into Huntingdon and coming to a dead stop at a set of traffic lights and a B-road, a primary route isn’t necessarily about the volume of traffic which uses it. Just look at the A5 from Chirk to Bangor (A55). It shouldn’t be primary but it is, as it connects the primary destinations of Oswestry, Betws-y-coed and Bangor together. We all know the more appropriate route would be the A483 and then the A55 (which does indeed have a much larger vehicle usage). I think this will be where we agree to disagree until reality does take hold on the ground sometime next year.
Berk

Post by Berk »

There is of course the possibility that people will do their own thing. Not everyone drives with a sat-nav. :wink:
Lewis1997

Post by Lewis1997 »

Very minding numbing to read through such a big document, but the attachment has a lot of information regarding confirmation of road numbering (but no classification other than trunk/non trunk status). Also included is information about any restrictions and speed limits too.
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2016 ... 547_en.pdf
Last edited by Lewis1997 on Sun Jan 06, 2019 16:37, edited 1 time in total.
Berk

Post by Berk »

Tbh, I’m not actually sure who makes sure that the signs on the ground match the correct status.

CCC should be responsible as highway authority.

In this case they’ll probably replace every. Single. Sign. That shows anything to do with A14, and replace it with A1307 (A14(M)).

They did something similar in 1994 after the first bit of the A14 opened.
Lewis1997

Post by Lewis1997 »

Berk wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 16:36 Tbh, I’m not actually sure who makes sure that the signs on the ground match the correct status.

In this case they’ll probably replace every. Single. Sign. That shows anything to do with A14, and replace it with A1307 (A14(M)).

I would imagine highways England would be responsible for it (depending on if CCC contributed any money to the upgrade scheme). Mind you, it’ll be nice if every single sign is replaced as that isn’t always the case with a fair few road schemes. Or if it is down to CCC, maybe they just cover the A14 number and junction numbers (where appropriate) and stick “A1307” on top.
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

Berk wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 16:07 I think you’re putting a lot of faith into one line of an entry on the Wiki - which has quite likely been cut’n’pasted.

Actually it can, there are lots of primary roads that are S2 and many end at the destination on unclassified roads. It does not need to 'feel' like the A14 at Huntingdon to be primary. It simply needs to be the route to be used between two primary destinations. Note that as the A604 the curent A14 was primary before the viaduct was built and the road dualled. It went into Huntingdon over this bridge.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.32738 ... 6656?hl=en

Let me give you some examples

The A19 between Thirsk and York
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.16748 ... 6656?hl=en

The A171 between Whitby and Scarborough
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.39418 ... 6656?hl=en

The A259 at Winchelsea. This road is not only Primary but Trunk
https://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/wiki/ind ... title=A259
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.92802 ... 6656?hl=en

From the SABRE Wiki: A259 :

The A259 makes up in length what the other A25x roads lack. It starts in Folkestone, heads along the coast through Hythe, Romney and over the Sussex border to Rye. Then it goes via Hastings, Eastbourne, Brighton, Worthing, Bognor and Chichester and finally ends at Havant in Hampshire.

From Pevensey to Havant the route is effectively shadowing the A27, only going through more towns and sticking closer to the coast. The A259 forms part of the

... Read More
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

Berk wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 16:36 Tbh, I’m not actually sure who makes sure that the signs on the ground match the correct status.

Which is precisely what would be expected, prior to 1994 the road signs read A604, the A14 at that time ran from Alconbury to Royston