A14 Cambridge to Huntingdon "news"

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Micro The Maniac

Re: A14 Cambridge to Huntingdon "news"

Post by Micro The Maniac »

KeithW wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:44 Indeed but the M11/A14 from London to Alconbury and the A14 from Felixstowe to the the West Midlands are two separate roads that happen to intersect at Cambridge
I think it is reasonable to describe the A14 as two seperate roads: M6 to Cambridge, then Cambridge to Felixstowe - the existing GBFO TOTSO at Girton is the give-away

The M11 onto the A14 is one continuous road
roadtester

Post by roadtester »

Micro The Maniac wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 09:22
KeithW wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:44 Indeed but the M11/A14 from London to Alconbury and the A14 from Felixstowe to the the West Midlands are two separate roads that happen to intersect at Cambridge
I think it is reasonable to describe the A14 as two seperate roads: M6 to Cambridge, then Cambridge to Felixstowe - the existing GBFO TOTSO at Girton is the give-away

I think A14 makes sense as a single route number.

Its main purpose is to get traffic from the East coast ports to the Midlands and the current numbering reflects that.
Electrophorus Electricus

Check out #davidsdailycar on Mastodon
Micro The Maniac

Post by Micro The Maniac »

roadtester wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:03 Its main purpose is to get traffic from the East coast ports to the Midlands and the current numbering reflects that.
In which case it is logically more efficient to run a rail line alongside, and have container shuttles between Felixstowe and Daventry

But the A34/M40 manages (ahem...) to do the job from Southampton to the Midlands without being a single number,
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

Micro The Maniac wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:18

But the A34/M40 manages (ahem...) to do the job from Southampton to the Midlands without being a single number,
As does the M11/A14/A1 from London to Peterborough, which sort of makes your argument invalid (I think).

As discussed a thousand times above - even if the M11 was the primary number in the multiplex, it would still be a pointless multiplex as the M11 would terminate on the A1. So n/b traffic would still have a number change; while you'd be introducing another one for east-west traffic... It just doesn't make sense...
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
Jeni
Banned

Post by Jeni »

Also, nobody other than roadgeeks care what number a road is.
rasingram2

Post by rasingram2 »

Jeni wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:09 Also, nobody other than roadgeeks care what number a road is.
I think that is a bit extreme. While most drivers will just follow signs (or these days SatNav's), and don't care one way or another, there are possible situations where being able to describe a long route reasonably quickly has its advantages. I guess that was why the A14 was done the way it was, despite the route on the ground being substandard in places. It meant that long distance lorry drivers, and probably to a lesser extent foreigners arriving in the east coast ports, could be told to follow the A14 to the M1, then more specific directions. Makes things much easier, and provides a nudge to following that then new route, rather than one of the alternatives.

It's much less of an issue now of course, but the A14 has been a thing for long enough that any change of number should possibly only be done if there is a very good reason.
Peter350

Post by Peter350 »

Jeni wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:09 Also, nobody other than roadgeeks care what number a road is.
I don’t think that’s necessarily true. When talking about a road in normal conversation, it’s much easier to refer to it by the number rather than name, as long as the people you’re talking to have heard of it. For instance, most people know about the M25 so it would be silly to refer to it as ‘the London Orbital motorway’ during a regular conversation with people who aren’t roadgeeks.
Fenlander

Post by Fenlander »

c2R wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 00:04
Chris Bertram wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 22:26
Jeni wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 19:03Thameslink
if your start and end points are near the stations at each end, fair do's. If not...
You also have to have a load of money, as it's £120 return, not including car parking at Peterborough. By car, you're looking at about £40 in fuel, not including the Dartford Tunnel fees.
It's not just the cash saved, the time taken is approx the same but there's 4 changes on the train and still a walk either end so probably taxi cost too. I wouldn't want to take all the stuff I took by car on the train either. The 2nd year I did it I had a passenger too so that would double the train cost but theoretically halve the car one.
rasingram2

Post by rasingram2 »

Fenlander wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 14:04
Chris Bertram wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 22:26 if your start and end points are near the stations at each end, fair do's. If not...
You also have to have a load of money, as it's £120 return, not including car parking at Peterborough. By car, you're looking at about £40 in fuel, not including the Dartford Tunnel fees.
It's not just the cash saved, the time taken is approx the same but there's 4 changes on the train and still a walk either end so probably taxi cost too. I wouldn't want to take all the stuff I took by car on the train either. The 2nd year I did it I had a passenger too so that would double the train cost but theoretically halve the car one.
It's currently one change at one of the Thameslink core stations, so you don't even have to change platform. Or go faster and change from King's Cross to St Pancras. Still, I understand not wanting to do it, but you can't say a passenger doubles the total cost of the trip, and compare it to halving the per person cost in the car. And if there are three of you, or you have a two together railcard, it reduces the per person cost by 1/3.

But I do think the train ticket prices do not help, since you get inconvenience, and cheapness in one option, so why would you ride the train? Except if you didn't want to do the M25.
Fenlander

Post by Fenlander »

rasingram2 wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 14:39
Fenlander wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 14:04

It's currently one change at one of the Thameslink core stations, so you don't even have to change platform. Or go faster and change from King's Cross to St Pancras. Still, I understand not wanting to do it, but you can't say a passenger doubles the total cost of the trip, and compare it to halving the per person cost in the car. And if there are three of you, or you have a two together railcard, it reduces the per person cost by 1/3.

But I do think the train ticket prices do not help, since you get inconvenience, and cheapness in one option, so why would you ride the train? Except if you didn't want to do the M25.
The first time I did the journey by myself by car, if I'd gone by train it would have been 1 fare. The second year I had a passenger, they wanted to go halves on the fuel but as that was paid for they bought the beer instead to approx the cost of half the fuel, if we'd both gone by train that would be 2 rail fares.

But back on topic, ultimately I drove both times. On paper it looked pretty similar distance wise clockwise Vs anticlockwise and A14/M11 cuts the corner off going that way.
rasingram2

Post by rasingram2 »

Fenlander wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 14:04 It's not just the cash saved, the time taken is approx the same but there's 4 changes on the train and still a walk either end so probably taxi cost too. I wouldn't want to take all the stuff I took by car on the train either. The 2nd year I did it I had a passenger too so that would double the train cost but theoretically halve the car one.
Fenlander wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 14:49The first time I did the journey by myself by car, if I'd gone by train it would have been 1 fare. The second year I had a passenger, they wanted to go halves on the fuel but as that was paid for they bought the beer instead to approx the cost of half the fuel, if we'd both gone by train that would be 2 rail fares.
That's my point, it would have been 1 rail fair each. The cost of the fuel didn't half, it was just shared, therefore the total cost of the train doubled, but the per person cost stayed the same, while by car the total cost didn't change, but the per person cost halved. It's disingenuous to say one doubles and the other halves, as that implies a much bigger difference than actually occurs.

I quite understand doing the trip by car, I'm not trying to say your decision was wrong, I just think we should be very careful when talking numbers in that way.
Jeni
Banned

Post by Jeni »

There's also the "cost" of having to deal with taking your car into Brighton and losing the time driving when you could be doing something more productive. Not all costs are financial!
nowster
Treasurer

Post by nowster »

Jeni wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 15:15 There's also the "cost" of having to deal with taking your car into Brighton and losing the time driving when you could be doing something more productive. Not all costs are financial!
There's also the "cost" of the train taking you to nowhere near where you actually want to be, and having to carry heavy luggage around or hiring a taxi to do that for you. It's never black and white, and there's never a solution that satisfies everyone's ideals.
Berk

Post by Berk »

Jeni wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 15:15 There's also the "cost" of having to deal with taking your car into Brighton and losing the time driving when you could be doing something more productive. Not all costs are financial!
I’ll just point out that I’ve been to Brighton for the last 4 years and I’ve only twice had hold-ups (both on the way down). Finding parking is easy, you just have to be prepared to pay the going rate.
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

Micro The Maniac wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 09:22

I do not and nor did the Minister of Transport when he decided that the strategic route from Felixstowe to the West Midlands should carry a single number - the A14. Previously it had been made of multiple bits of road mainly the A45 from Felixstowe to Cambridge, the A604 from Cambridge to Rothwell and then the A6 to Leicester.

The M6 is one of the 3 oldest motorways planned in 1957 by the Ministry of Transport had plans and was one of the for three main elements of the National Motorway Network, namely the London-Yorkshire Motorway (M1), the Birmingham-South Wales Motorway (M5) and the Birmingham-Preston Motorway (M6)

In the late 1980's the new A14 route was finalised and comprised of 3 sections
1) The part of the A45 from Felixstowe to Cambridge
2) The part of the A604 from Cambridge to Kettering
3) A new build road from Kettering to Catthorpe which meant it could plug into the M6.

The TOTSO at Girton is the result of the fact that when the M11 was built the main traffic flow was along the dualled A604 from Cambridge to Huntingdon and the A1

The route from Felixstowe (A45) ran along the Cambridge Northern Bypass passing under the M11/A604 to St Neots along what is now the A428, from where you could either continue on the A45 (unsuitable for HGV's - See Kimbolton) or take the A1/A604/A427/A4114 route via Kettering, Market Harborough and Coventry.
Herned

Post by Herned »

I totally agree. I don’t understand the obsession with numbering at all. In 27 years of driving and having all manner of conversations about journey options, how numbering works or anything related to the actual number has never come up. In fact I would say that generally people know the motorways and nearby significant A roads (A12 or A50 level of importance) but beyond that hardly anyone cares or pays attention
rasingram2

Post by rasingram2 »

Herned wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 18:30
I totally agree. I don’t understand the obsession with numbering at all. In 27 years of driving and having all manner of conversations about journey options, how numbering works or anything related to the actual number has never come up. In fact I would say that generally people know the motorways and nearby significant A roads (A12 or A50 level of importance) but beyond that hardly anyone cares or pays attention
But would you prefer directions like 'A14 to Cambridge, M11 to the A1, then A14 to the M1, then M6 to Birmingham', or 'A14 as far as it goes, then M6'? The specific numbers don't matter to most people (although it makes a difference to people whose job it is to talk about them), but the actual assignment of them makes a great difference to the usability of the system.
Jeni
Banned

Post by Jeni »

rasingram2 wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 18:36
Herned wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 18:30
But would you prefer directions like 'A14 to Cambridge, M11 to the A1, then A14 to the M1, then M6 to Birmingham', or 'A14 as far as it goes, then M6'? The specific numbers don't matter to most people (although it makes a difference to people whose job it is to talk about them), but the actual assignment of them makes a great difference to the usability of the system.
"Follow signs for the Midlands"
Herned

Post by Herned »

rasingram2 wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 18:36 But would you prefer directions like 'A14 to Cambridge, M11 to the A1, then A14 to the M1, then M6 to Birmingham', or 'A14 as far as it goes, then M6'? The specific numbers don't matter to most people (although it makes a difference to people whose job it is to talk about them), but the actual assignment of them makes a great difference to the usability of the system.
Head to Cambridge, then follow the signs for the Midlands until you get to the M6. Possibly including "bear in mind to turn off at Huntingdon". And that's it

Does it really affect the usability of the system? In what way? How many people avoid the A417/419 because the numbers are confusing? Or the A2/M2? I would suggest that the failure to differentiate properly between A roads which are high quality dual carriageways and terrible barely improved A roads is a bigger problem in terms of system efficiency
Fenlander

Post by Fenlander »

Jeni wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 18:58 "Follow signs for the Midlands"
Back in the 80s an employee of my dads drove out to see his brother in Germany, the directions were quite simple:
Turn left off ferry and follow signs for <German City>, after <x00 miles > turn right. He got there OK.