A14 Cambridge to Huntingdon "news"

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Herned

Re: A14 Cambridge to Huntingdon "news"

Post by Herned »

KeithW wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:10 Most of the traffic from Felixstowe originates outside Europe and arrives on Panamax container ships on around the world schedule. A container arriving in Felixstowe is more likely to originate in China, India, Korea, Japan or the USA than Dusseldorf.
Yes it does, which is why I said it does, so I’m a bit puzzled why you replied to me?
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

Herned wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:34
KeithW wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:10 Most of the traffic from Felixstowe originates outside Europe and arrives on Panamax container ships on around the world schedule. A container arriving in Felixstowe is more likely to originate in China, India, Korea, Japan or the USA than Dusseldorf.
Yes it does, which is why I said it does, so I’m a bit puzzled why you replied to me?
Reinforcing your point.
Al__S

Post by Al__S »

The new layout at Bar Hill has, predicatbly, not gone too well. The junction of the B1050 and the eastbound on/off ramps is controlled by a simple set of three way temporary lights despite (apparently, according to my colleagues- I've cycled in instead despite the weather) each approach having two lanes. As there's no pedestrian crossing there's no reason a more sophisticated set of lights, allowing the straight on/left turn filters (as appropriate) in each phase, could not be used? Presumably temporary lights can be set up/obtained to be a bit smarter? EG allowing straight on towards Longstanton to proceed when the traffic from Longstanton has the green to head into Bar Hill/turn left on to the A14 sliproad.
Berk

Post by Berk »

And there was me thinking it’d all gone smoothly. Can’t have been that bad, or we’d have read about it in the papers.
camflyer

Post by camflyer »

Berk wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 22:35 And there was me thinking it’d all gone smoothly. Can’t have been that bad, or we’d have read about it in the papers.
Like this: https://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news/l ... 4-16420852
Berk

Post by Berk »

It’s only come out tonight. :P
Al__S

Post by Al__S »

That the local press have taken days to catch up with it says more about the state of the local press than anything else
mikehindsonevans

Post by mikehindsonevans »

Berk wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 22:50 It’s only come out tonight. :P
Did two things happen at the same time in Cambridgeshire?

Anytime someone posts a link here to the Cambridgeshire newspaper, I automatically give up after two minutes of watching their pay wall paint itself pixel by pixel. OK, exaggeration:one minute!
Mike Hindson-Evans.
Never argue with a conspiracy theorist.
They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
medgoode

Post by medgoode »

I saw lots of anger on the A14C2H Facebook page the day it opened, but wasn't sure if it had genuinely gone disastrously or if it was just the fact that the change had to bed in a bit. Given that the admins of the page posted yesterday that they were looking at trying to improve the situation it may not have gone quite as well as they had planned.

I would like to drive up there from where I live on the north side of Cambridge myself to see what it's all like, but worried it might turn into a 2 hour road trip.
medgoode

Post by medgoode »

An update:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 5581067862
Thanks to everyone who has fed back about the issues at Bar Hill. We’ve made the following changes to the
junction.
Traffic from Bar Hill to Longstanton is now free-flowing, with no traffic lights to negotiate.
Traffic lights have been replaced with give way signs for the following manoeuvres:
• Drivers heading from the eastbound A14 toward Bar Hill
• Drivers coming from Longstanton to join the eastbound A14
For the safety of all drivers, traffic lights are still in place for:
• Drivers wishing to join the eastbound A14 from Bar Hill
• Drivers heading from Longstanton to Bar Hill
• Drivers coming from the eastbound A14 to Longstanton
We’ll continue to monitor the situation over the next few days
Berk

Post by Berk »

Surely that would’ve been how most locals would’ve planned it.

Why are HE so ham-fisted at traffic management?? :x

They had to make the A47 lights at Wansford part-time because they caused massive delays.
Bertiebus

Post by Bertiebus »

Bertiebus wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 08:09 Thank you all for the replies, that's really helpful. It was what I've been reading on here about closures that particularly bothered me, so I'll check the HE app before I get there and keep my fingers crossed :)
B1040 wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 22:26 It's worth having traffic news or a phone or sat nav app to check.
Accidents are far too frequent on that bit of A14.
Made it! And, in both directions, was ahead by minutes of two seperate vehicle into the central barrier incidents.

Still, my luck ran out on the A1 on the return journey :roll:
B1040

Post by B1040 »

Bertiebus wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 22:43
Made it! And, in both directions, was ahead by minutes of two seperate vehicle into the central barrier incidents.

Still, my luck ran out on the A1 on the return journey :roll:
Glad you travelled safely. I hope the A1 accident wasn't too disastrous for those involved.
kiran_mk2

Post by kiran_mk2 »

The new (temporary) west-bound Lolworth exit is now open - slip road is the new carriageway just after Bar Hill. Didn't see where traffic from Lolworth joined though.
rasingram2

Post by rasingram2 »

According to this Facebook post, there are sent to the Swavesey junction:

https://www.facebook.com/A14C2H/photos/ ... &__tn__=-R
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

Berk wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 16:33 Surely that would’ve been how most locals would’ve planned it.

Why are HE so ham-fisted at traffic management?? :x

They had to make the A47 lights at Wansford part-time because they caused massive delays.
Its not the first time. Some years ago lights were installed on the Bar Hill Roundabout and it caused so much chaos the police turned up and put hoods on them.
medgoode

Post by medgoode »

The A14C2H Facebook page reports that they will soon start driving supports in for the new bridge over the guided busway.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 5581067862
roadtester

Post by roadtester »

The old bridge at Bar Hill/Longstanton is being demolished this weekend, so the road will be closed while they do it.

https://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news/c ... r-16462233
Electrophorus Electricus

Check out #davidsdailycar on Mastodon
medgoode

Post by medgoode »

More news (06:47 this morning) from the A14C2H team:
Great news!

The old Bar Hill bridge has been demolished (we checked we got the correct one) and the A14 is now OPEN.

Thanks to everyone for their patience. Timelapse will be shared next week.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend and the team will be back tomorrow.

The A14C2H Team
https://twitter.com/A14C2H/status/11426 ... 50656?s=19

I might swing by later to take a look!
kiran_mk2

Post by kiran_mk2 »

Another big weekend coming up. Originally planned as a contingency weekend for the old Bar Hill bridge removal, it will now be dedicated to switching the westbound carriageway onto its new alignment from Bar Hill to Swavesy. I'm assuming this will mean that the new off-slip at Swavesy will start to be used too but can't tell for sure. Westbound will be closed from 9pm Friday until Monday morning (unless work finishes earlier).

Very surprised they have been able to lay the new carriageway down so quickly over the old Swavesy on/off slips - I'm sure the old off-slip was only taken up a few weeks ago.

https://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news/c ... s-16491246