A14 Cambridge to Huntingdon "news"

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Berk

Re: A14 Cambridge to Huntingdon "news"

Post by Berk »

It’s not like they didn’t know it was coming. :wink:
kiran_mk2

Post by kiran_mk2 »

New westbound carriageway from Bar Hill to Swavesy now open (running at 2 lanes, 40 mph limit still in place). Interestingly the new Swavesy off-slip is not yet open so traffic for slip-road for the service station roundabout is still used. I'm still amazed how quickly they got the bits at Lolworth and across the old Swavesy sliproad done.
roadtester

Post by roadtester »

kiran_mk2 wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:10 New westbound carriageway from Bar Hill to Swavesy now open (running at 2 lanes, 40 mph limit still in place). Interestingly the new Swavesy off-slip is not yet open so traffic for slip-road for the service station roundabout is still used. I'm still amazed how quickly they got the bits at Lolworth and across the old Swavesy sliproad done.
I had a quick go on this section too last night - very impressive.

The three lanes are still coned down to two at the moment, but the improved quality/capacity of the new road is clear.
Electrophorus Electricus

Check out #davidsdailycar on Mastodon
Berk

Post by Berk »

What’s happening with the old westbound. Is it becoming the new eastbound (with widening)??
roadtester

Post by roadtester »

Berk wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:22 What’s happening with the old westbound. Is it becoming the new eastbound (with widening)??
I'm not sure - without checking any of the various publications, the whole thing seems to be being rebuilt, even where it is online.

Cambridge Services always seemed to be set back a long way from the old road, as if anticipating the current development - it's much closer to the new carriageway.
Electrophorus Electricus

medgoode

Post by medgoode »

I see Jonathan Tracey has uploaded more videos to his Drones over... series on his YouTube channel:
kiran_mk2

Post by kiran_mk2 »

Berk wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:22 What’s happening with the old westbound. Is it becoming the new eastbound (with widening)??
I believe that the old westbound carriage way will be ripped up and the ground level raised up to meet the new-build carriageway before it is relaid (with 3 lanes). I imagine that when this happens eastbound traffic will be diverted before Swavesy onto new /rebuilt road at the same point the new westbound traffic moves back to the old carriageway. This new alignment will probably continue until Bar Hill. I can foresee that the new LAR dual carriageway to the Swavesy junction will act as a temporary sliproad for eastbound traffic.
medgoode

Post by medgoode »

It seems things are not going as planned widening the bridge over the busway:
We've met a ground obstruction while widening the guided busway bridge near Histon. We've changed our original plans to still complete work during school holidays. Unfortunately the busway and cycle path will now be closed till 30 Aug. We apologise for the inconvenience caused.
Source: https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 5581067862
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

From the plans it looks as if the old A14 east bound carriageway will become the A1307 LAR with Swavesey Travelodge accessed from it.

The current westbound carriageway will be widened and become the new eastbound carriageway with the new westbound carriageway and a longer slip road into Cambridge services the whole shebang will effectively move south and will be much closer to Cambridge Services. You can see the difference in the slip road positions in the aerial view on Google maps.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Cam ... 6554?hl=en

Since it will not be possible to access it from both carriageways I wouldnt be at all surprised if the Travelodge site expanded to add new catering and other facilities.
roadtester

Post by roadtester »

KeithW wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 19:54 From the plans it looks as if the old A14 east bound carriageway will become the A1307 LAR with Swavesey Travelodge accessed from it.
Yes- that's how it's shown in this fly-through animation (6 mins 20 seconds):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... T39Kdr5PkY
Electrophorus Electricus

millionmiledriver

Post by millionmiledriver »

Travelling on the A14 last night part of the old west bound carriageway is already being ripped up and there are large piles of what appears to be some form of gravel presumably to raise the road surface to that of the new section opened last week
Berk

Post by Berk »

Wonder if the two (separate) roads will be fully ready to use by Christmas?? 😏
RickyB_uk

Post by RickyB_uk »

Berk wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 22:35 Wonder if the two (separate) roads will be fully ready to use by Christmas?? 😏
The latest newsletter anticipates the new A14 opening "by the end of this year", with "other key parts of the scheme" to follow by the end of 2020.
roadtester

Post by roadtester »

RickyB_uk wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 08:11
Berk wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 22:35 Wonder if the two (separate) roads will be fully ready to use by Christmas?? 😏
The latest newsletter anticipates the new A14 opening "by the end of this year", with "other key parts of the scheme" to follow by the end of 2020.
It also has the news that they’ve formally applied for motorway status as well!
Electrophorus Electricus

Al__S

Post by Al__S »

there's been progress on the section of A1307 through Girton interchange- over the weekend the former A14 on-ramp (from the part where it splits from the off-ramp) had a change in which lane is use from right to left, with traffic now passing round the "correct" side of the part-built roundabout where the new off-ramp will meet it.

Still seems a fair way off from having two way traffic plus the cycleway through here, but progress.
Jeni
Banned

Post by Jeni »

I've read that article 3 times now and I can't find any mention of householders wanting to sue lorry drivers or their companies.

Closest I can find is this...
Cllr Gardener said that in Ellington “they are now starting to cause damage to houses through the vibrations in the roads and I know various householders are looking to take somebody to court if they can regarding the damage.
Berk

Post by Berk »

Well I thought the implication was clear...
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

I think you've put two and two together to come up with five. I wouldn't have immediately made the jump that they would want to sue lorry drivers or companies - this would pretty much be a hiding to nothing unless HGVs were prohibited and the claim was made on some pretty certain scientific basis. I think it more likely that the councillor is talking rubbish, and that if there are any grumblings about court, it'd be more likely directed at one of the involved highways authorities; which again is likely to be a pointless activity.
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

Jeni wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 00:38
I've read that article 3 times now and I can't find any mention of householders wanting to sue lorry drivers or their companies.

Closest I can find is this...
Cllr Gardener said that in Ellington “they are now starting to cause damage to houses through the vibrations in the roads and I know various householders are looking to take somebody to court if they can regarding the damage.
What has Ellington to do with it ? Its not part of the main construction zone and I sincerely doubt many HGV drivers are going to choose Grafham road to Buckden. In any event if it is a problem the County Council can impose a temporary TRO - go to it councillor !