A14 Cambridge to Huntingdon "news"

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Re: A14 Cambridge to Huntingdon "news"

Post by c2R »

millionmiledriver wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:52 Drove the Cambridge to Huntingdon section yesterday the bridge horizontals at the bridge just west of the demolished Trinity foot pub were put over the existing carriageway this last week .The famous graffiti covered hut has now also been demolished
Yes, I'd noticed that. I've got some dashcam images from the weekend that I'll upload later.
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

A14 new free flow sliproad over A428 at Girton

B1040 heading north towards the A14 works - embankment for new bridge ahead. This straightens the road and allows it to pass over the A14.

A14 Swavesey Junction overbridge

Farm Access, A14 southbound

Temporary Overbridge north of Girton
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

Press release about proposals for Huntingdon:

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/a14- ... huntingdon

So far as I can see the only information on the scheme page is very limited, mostly exhibition dates, here:

https://highwaysengland.co.uk/projects/ ... gdon/#news

If anyone notices any more, please post!
jackal

Post by jackal »

c2R wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:59 A14 new free flow sliproad over A428 at Girton
I'm struggling to work out what I'm looking at here. It can't really have 10+ spans for a bog standard bridge taking a slip road over a D2??
Herned

Post by Herned »

Isn't it a structure used for crossing over at an acute angle (probably a technical term for that!) such as this one on the M25 https://goo.gl/maps/iXTkSuB3Gdt where a box is built rather than a skew bridge?
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

http://assets.highways.gov.uk.s3.amazon ... ontext.pdf

So, this is the overbridge for the A14 (W->N) at Girton as viewed from the M11->A14E cloverleaf loop (so in a SW sort of direction) - it crosses the eastbound A428. The A14 will be on an embankment and will cross the A428 at an angle.

There do indeed appear to be a lot of supports!
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

Herned wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 17:45 Isn't it a structure used for crossing over at an acute angle (probably a technical term for that!) such as this one on the M25 https://goo.gl/maps/iXTkSuB3Gdt where a box is built rather than a skew bridge?
See this link for details of what is planned
http://assets.highways.gov.uk/roads/roa ... %26+S5.pdf
dcrc2

Post by dcrc2 »

Also there are plenty of good views of this structure (and the scheme as a whole) in Jonathan Tracey's drone footage on Youtube. This is the latest one from Girton:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRcllYT989I
roadtester

Post by roadtester »

Interesting article about the scheme in one of the local rags that concentrates on what is happening with Huntingdon once the old A14 viaduct is removed:

http://www.huntspost.co.uk/motoring/lau ... -1-5557361

Also, this on the Histon/Milton bit:

http://assets.highwaysengland.co.uk/roa ... +May18.pdf
Electrophorus Electricus

Check out #davidsdailycar on Mastodon
danfw194

Post by danfw194 »

Forgive my ignorance, as I only really bothered to watch the initial fly-through video for this project and not much else. But I find it disappointing that A1 southbound to A14 westbound traffic is going to have to travel through 3 roundabouts - Brampton Hut and 2x Ellington. Admittedly it's not a priority route but it's not great.
Also, is there any provision at all for A14 westbound to A1 southbound traffic - perhaps I'm being dim but I can't see any provision for it?.....it looks like you'd have to take the A14-A1 northbound link road, exit at Brampton Hut, and do a 360 at the roundabout.
85CF380

Post by 85CF380 »

Well for the 5 vehicles a day that will drive south to Brampton hut & then go west on the A14, I think the provision of access is fine.
Likewise for northbound A1(M) to west A14.
All the trucks (& assume cars too) from Peterborough & from the A16 (& prob.A47) going west, go via the A605 (yet another trunk road not under remit of HEng) to the A14. It's the A605 where the money should be spent & not easing south to west access at Brampton Hut.
Berk

Post by Berk »

Sounds a bit like the same ‘missing movements’ argument as at Catthorpe. Sometimes you just have to use other junctions.
roadtester

Post by roadtester »

A better use of money than addressing the missing movement would probably be to sort the remaining at-grade A14 junctions to the west of the A1. They will look even more sub-standard once the HC section is upgraded.
Electrophorus Electricus

Check out #davidsdailycar on Mastodon
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

roadtester wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 13:58 A better use of money than addressing the missing movement would probably be to sort the remaining at-grade A14 junctions to the west of the A1. They will look even more sub-standard once the HC section is upgraded.
One I came across a few years just here was frankly terrifying. Not only was there so slip road but the sigh on the right made it hard to see if there was a safe gap.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.41221 ... authuser=0
darkcape

Post by darkcape »

jackal wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 16:50
c2R wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:59 A14 new free flow sliproad over A428 at Girton
I'm struggling to work out what I'm looking at here. It can't really have 10+ spans for a bog standard bridge taking a slip road over a D2??
The bridge is made up of 36 columns on each side, with a 1.2m thick slab spanning between the columns. The new A14 west - A14 NB loop crosses the A428 eastbound at an extremely shallow skew angle - similarly to the A46 at the M40 here.
In fact the slip road is curving to the right so the bridge and road does not have one 'skew angle'. The structure itself is matching the arc of the A428, with a radius of something like 2km. The A14 carriageway superelevation changes, from nearside being the lowest point at the start of the structure to being the highest point at the end of the structure, meaning the deck resembles a ski-jump or take-off ramp on some UK aircraft carriers. The columns vary in height to match the climb and tilt of the deck, approximately 4m difference. Because of the curve of the new carriageway the bulk of the deck is empty space to provide adequate sightlines, the carriageway only occupies about 40% of the deck area.

Behind the columns the approach embankments are made of reinforced earth walls faced with the concrete panels you see in the photo.
Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
Berk

Post by Berk »

How’s the A1 coming on??
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

Berk wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 23:58 How’s the A1 coming on??
The opening scenes from the latest drone footage show the status at the A1 end.

There are a lot of roadworks on the A1 planned for this weekend.
https://highwaysengland.co.uk/projects/ ... untingdon/
ChrisH

Post by ChrisH »

darkcape wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 20:39
jackal wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 16:50
The bridge is made up of 36 columns on each side, with a 1.2m thick slab spanning between the columns. The new A14 west - A14 NB loop crosses the A428 eastbound at an extremely shallow skew angle - similarly to the A46 at the M40 here.
In fact the slip road is curving to the right so the bridge and road does not have one 'skew angle'. The structure itself is matching the arc of the A428, with a radius of something like 2km. The A14 carriageway superelevation changes, from nearside being the lowest point at the start of the structure to being the highest point at the end of the structure, meaning the deck resembles a ski-jump or take-off ramp on some UK aircraft carriers. The columns vary in height to match the climb and tilt of the deck, approximately 4m difference. Because of the curve of the new carriageway the bulk of the deck is empty space to provide adequate sightlines, the carriageway only occupies about 40% of the deck area.

Behind the columns the approach embankments are made of reinforced earth walls faced with the concrete panels you see in the photo.
Thanks - very informative. Good to have someone with details to hand!
dcrc2

Post by dcrc2 »

Berk wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 23:58 How’s the A1 coming on??
The new carriageways are complete south of Brampton Hut. There's still work going on around the Brampton Hut junction itself, where the southbound carriageway currently splits with the right-hand lane going into a contraflow. The two lanes join back together south of the future A14 bridge, and after that point the A1 is on its new alignment.
medgoode

Post by medgoode »

The following image was recently posted on the A14 Cambridgeshire @A14C2H Twitter feed:
Dgsgrw9X0AIkIHf.jpg
Their feed is a good source of information of closures, as well as some nice pictures of the progress every now and again.