A14 Cambridge to Huntingdon "news"

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

S Parkinson

Re: A14 Cambridge to Huntingdon "news"

Post by S Parkinson »

jervi wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 14:25 Went up the A1 yesterday. Attached are the new primary route signs if interested.
New A1 snip2.PNG
New A1 snip4.PNG
Not a junction number in sight.
And there was me imagining a matrix sign on the A1(M) s/b come Dec: 'A1307 permanently closed at Huntingdon. For A14 use junction 13'
Quick, someone order some junction nr patches. I'd go with J13A for Brampton Hut (top photo), whilst the start of motorway n/b (bottom photo) is part of junction 14.
Or perhaps 'For A14 follow signs' will have to do on my imaginary matrix message.
Berk

Post by Berk »

Cambridge News has published some new aerial shots - and they really look very good indeed. :)

Unfortunately they also confirm what we all feared: the geometry of the roundabouts is terrible, practically a 360 to turn right in some cases.
Al__S

Post by Al__S »

I wonder how much traffic will actually make that tight right (A1198 from Godmanchester to A14 W) rather than go via the new layout through Huntingdon?
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

Al__S wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 07:43 I wonder how much traffic will actually make that tight right (A1198 from Godmanchester to A14 W) rather than go via the new layout through Huntingdon?
If you live in Godmanchester or the new Romans Edge development, I suspect you very much would.

I don't think the roundabout geometery is too bad, I've driven round those on the A1198 hundreds of times and they're not that tiny - I suppose the rest of the road is just massive.

I also like the optimistic "look at the green fields" from the article...... tin sheds and housing estates here we come...
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
roadtester

Post by roadtester »

Great photos in the article Berk linked too.

I don't find the geometry of the roundabouts too bad either. The thing I wonder about is the complexity of the Swavesey junction - getting off and back on again for a visit to Cambridge Services is quite an involved process.

I remember thinking "this is a faff" when I went there a few months ago - I approached from the east and went back in that direction after my visit. I assumed at the time that the convoluted routing was a temporary by-product of the works, and the final result would be more streamlined, but it appears not. Unless I'm missing something!

Would have been nice if they could have simplified things a bit but I'm guessing this wasn't possible given the need to thread things around existing sites/buildings and satisfy all of the other requirements.

Still, it's only a minor grumble in the context of getting a super-duper shiny new A14 after living locally for twenty years waiting for it to happen.
Electrophorus Electricus

Check out #davidsdailycar on Mastodon
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

roadtester wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 08:25
The thing I wonder about is the complexity of the Swavesey junction - getting off and back on again for a visit to Cambridge Services is quite an involved process.
I think you certainly won't want to visit the services if you're travelling southbound, as you'll have three roundabouts and an additional 0.75km to negotiate on the way in and the way out of the services, as well as business park traffic and local traffic heading up the old A14 to Huntingdon on the LAR! I don't think northbound would be too bad, with the additional advance exit slip road for services access.
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
medgoode

Post by medgoode »

c2R wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 08:44 I think you certainly won't want to visit the services if you're travelling southbound, as you'll have three roundabouts and an additional 0.75km to negotiate on the way in and the way out of the services, as well as business park traffic and local traffic heading up the old A14 to Huntingdon on the LAR! I don't think northbound would be too bad, with the additional advance exit slip road for services access.
If I think back to the picture of the signs for the A1/A14 junction that were posted the other day, there was no mention of the Brampton Hut services. This will mean that the amount of custom that Brampton Services will receive from A14 westbound traffic is likely to decrease.

So I guess people travelling eastbound on the A14 will likely stop at Brampton Hut, whereas those travelling westbound will stop at Cambridge services in Swavesey - especially given the complexity described by c2R.

Edit: the post with the images of the signs --> viewtopic.php?p=1077584#p1077584
medgoode

Post by medgoode »

The A14C2H Facebook page have announced that more changes to the Bar Hill junction are on the way from 5 am on Monday 11 November.

More info:
Al__S

Post by Al__S »

Not just the Bar Hill junction- it's the closure of two out of the three remaining sliproads at Dry Drayton. I'm guessing it won't be too long until the Bar Hill westbound off ramp opens and the Dry Drayton one is then closed- ending Junction 29.
Berk

Post by Berk »

This simply reflects the move to the permanent junction arrangements. It’s all in the plans.
kiran_mk2

Post by kiran_mk2 »

The schematic seems to imply that the contraflow will be removed too. From the lay of the land I had thought it was looking like it would move so westbound had one lane either side of the new concrete carriageway divider with subsequent work being to lower the remaining “old” westbound carriageway to the same level as the new eastbound one.
B1040

Post by B1040 »

I had a numpty moment near Buckden. I was driving south on the A1 (nearly M) and thought "why isn't that sign for the A14(M) blue?". Then I remembered. :oops:
ManomayLR
Assistant Site Manager

Post by ManomayLR »

Does it say A14 or A14M?
Though roads may not put a smile on everyone's face, there is one road that always will: the road to home.
Burwellian

Post by Burwellian »

M11(A14(M)) wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 16:40 I have just had an email from HE about the road numbering changes. The old A14 will be A1307, the section of A14 between the existing Junction 23 and Brampton Hut will become the A141, and the Alconbury spur will also be A1307 too, so A1307(M) anyone? :laugh:
Presumably that extension of the A141 would go past Brampton Hut to the New Ellington junction to meet the A14, which would put the A141 out of zone?
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

Burwellian wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 23:25
M11(A14(M)) wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 16:40 I have just had an email from HE about the road numbering changes. The old A14 will be A1307, the section of A14 between the existing Junction 23 and Brampton Hut will become the A141, and the Alconbury spur will also be A1307 too, so A1307(M) anyone? :laugh:
Presumably that extension of the A141 would go past Brampton Hut to the New Ellington junction to meet the A14, which would put the A141 out of zone?
Not necessarily; it's not clear if the New Ellington junction to Brampton Hut would be considered a spur of the A14 to meet the A1, or whether it would be the A141.
someone

Post by someone »

Burwellian wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 23:25Presumably that extension of the A141 would go past Brampton Hut to the New Ellington junction to meet the A14, which would put the A141 out of zone?
c2R provided a direct link to the part of the legislation which explains all the new classifications on the previous page of this thread.

The A141 will end at Brampton Hut. That existing section of road connecting it to the new alignment will become a spur of the A14.
B1040

Post by B1040 »

EpicChef wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 19:50 Does it say A14 or A14M?
Green and A14
ManomayLR
Assistant Site Manager

Post by ManomayLR »

I can’t see the new bypass on Google Satellite. You reckon the street view car will take a trip once the by pass opens?
Though roads may not put a smile on everyone's face, there is one road that always will: the road to home.
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

EpicChef wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:58 I can’t see the new bypass on Google Satellite.
It's on Bing areial photograph maps now. And, er, someone's updated the road on Bing to be open.
jervi

Post by jervi »

c2R wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:29
EpicChef wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:58 I can’t see the new bypass on Google Satellite.
It's on Bing areial photograph maps now. And, er, someone's updated the road on Bing to be open.
Bing are always ahead of the game. Lincoln Bypass as well is apparently complete according to them