A14 Cambridge to Huntingdon "news"

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Re: A14 Cambridge to Huntingdon "news"

Post by Bryn666 »

c2R wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 11:30
Bryn666 wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:57
c2R wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 22:55 Drove the new link road from Spittals south into Huntingdon this evening. Under Spittals itself is now D1.

The new roundabout is a classic, with two exits both signed "all directions".
Is the amount of traffic expected to head under Spittals even worth retaining the dual carriageway for?

I'm guessing they've not bothered to change to the diverge to a lane drop, instead going for a right hand taper under the roundabout? The fork signs around there were pretty dire last time I was there with obviously "we've done the changes now" coverplates everywhere that don't appear to be getting replaced any time soon.
The southbound carriageway has a speed limit of 40 mph applied from before Spittals. The southbound diverge for Spittals has a lane drop with lane 1 going up to the roundabout. Lane 2 continues underneath. A single lane joins southbound and lane 2 merges into it. It then meets the new roundabout which doesn't seem to have any ADS (unless I missed it somehow) telling you what the layout would be.

Patching of the A1307 south at the old A1198 junction is just green A1307 over the former A14 signs in many places.
Thanks - not a total disaster layout wise then but it does raise the question of why the A1307 down to the new roundabout has been retained as dual carriageway other than £££ saving. I also would have questioned why the A1307 south of Huntingdon needed to be retained as D2 other than to save money on work.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
trickstat

Post by trickstat »

One thing I did notice on the train travelling to and from the office on Monday was that the span of the flyover that used to carry the A14 over the ECML is still standing. Any news as to when this is being removed? NH (formerly HE) website suggests that the whole project is due to complete Spring '22.
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

trickstat wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 14:18 One thing I did notice on the train travelling to and from the office on Monday was that the span of the flyover that used to carry the A14 over the ECML is still standing. Any news as to when this is being removed? NH (formerly HE) website suggests that the whole project is due to complete Spring '22.
The easy bits I think have been. I'd presume that they'll need to coordinate closing the railway line to take the last bits down.
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
doebag

Post by doebag »

I think it was mentioned up thread that it will coincide with a Christmas closure of the ECML.
Alderpoint

Post by Alderpoint »

I notice that google maps is showing the A1307 south from the Brampton Road/Edison Bell Way as open.

When did that happen? Or have google jumped the gun? (It's still showing as under construction on OSM.)
Let it snow.
thomas417

Post by thomas417 »

Bryn666 wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:16
c2R wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 11:30
Bryn666 wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:57

Is the amount of traffic expected to head under Spittals even worth retaining the dual carriageway for?

I'm guessing they've not bothered to change to the diverge to a lane drop, instead going for a right hand taper under the roundabout? The fork signs around there were pretty dire last time I was there with obviously "we've done the changes now" coverplates everywhere that don't appear to be getting replaced any time soon.
The southbound carriageway has a speed limit of 40 mph applied from before Spittals. The southbound diverge for Spittals has a lane drop with lane 1 going up to the roundabout. Lane 2 continues underneath. A single lane joins southbound and lane 2 merges into it. It then meets the new roundabout which doesn't seem to have any ADS (unless I missed it somehow) telling you what the layout would be.

Patching of the A1307 south at the old A1198 junction is just green A1307 over the former A14 signs in many places.
Thanks - not a total disaster layout wise then but it does raise the question of why the A1307 down to the new roundabout has been retained as dual carriageway other than £££ saving. I also would have questioned why the A1307 south of Huntingdon needed to be retained as D2 other than to save money on work.
I do agree and it's one of those rare occasions where the road should really be narrowed. I'm surprised they haven't done something similar to the old A1 north of Wetherby with one carriageway being removed and the other becoming 2 way. As everything else basically stays the same it should be cost effective and reduces cost of future maintenance.
Big Nick

Post by Big Nick »

I went up to St Ives last Sunday. Several colleagues I met there didn't realise the route had changed and found themselves at Brampton :lol: . I had to read the signs to be sure I took the correct exit but what a joy.
Driving the A1307 without major traffic is a blast. Free flowing dual carriageway and no huge artics. So good that they've put in average speed cameras to catch the racers.

But the best part for me was being able to pull out of this stupidly short slip road with ease, without fear of being smashed into https://goo.gl/maps/ETAfnCMdkH4GqBTz9
doebag

Post by doebag »

Big Nick wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 20:40 I went up to St Ives last Sunday. Several colleagues I met there didn't realise the route had changed and found themselves at Brampton :lol: . I had to read the signs to be sure I took the correct exit but what a joy.
Driving the A1307 without major traffic is a blast. Free flowing dual carriageway and no huge artics. So good that they've put in average speed cameras to catch the racers.

But the best part for me was being able to pull out of this stupidly short slip road with ease, without fear of being smashed into https://goo.gl/maps/ETAfnCMdkH4GqBTz9
Driving the old A14 after years and years of ‘hell’ is a very strange experience.
Phil

Post by Phil »

c2R wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 22:55 Drove the new link road from Spittals south into Huntingdon this evening. Under Spittals itself is now D1.

The new roundabout is a classic, with two exits both signed "all directions".
How very French!
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

thomas417 wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 16:30
Bryn666 wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:16 Thanks - not a total disaster layout wise then but it does raise the question of why the A1307 down to the new roundabout has been retained as dual carriageway other than £££ saving. I also would have questioned why the A1307 south of Huntingdon needed to be retained as D2 other than to save money on work.
I do agree and it's one of those rare occasions where the road should really be narrowed. I'm surprised they haven't done something similar to the old A1 north of Wetherby with one carriageway being removed and the other becoming 2 way. As everything else basically stays the same it should be cost effective and reduces cost of future maintenance.
Its probably down to the large amount of development happening at Godmanchester with more expected to happen at Mill Common and Edison Bell Way in Huntingdon. The ECML Viaduct is gone but the bridge over the Great Ouse is alive and well and the market for housing in commuting distance of Cambridge and London is seemingly insatiable. In fact access to Huntingdon Railway Station is now easier than ever.

Godmanchester
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.30889 ... 8192?hl=en

Mill Common
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.32698 ... 8192?hl=en

I suppose they could extend the guided busway to Huntingdon along one carriageway, that is pretty much where old St Ives to Huntingdon East line terminated.
B1040

Post by B1040 »

2 problems with taking the busway along the A1307.
Firstly the road is at least a mile south of St Ives, but more importantly the buses need to go through the northern housing estates of St Ives and the estates round the Oxmoor because that is where all the passengers live.
kiran_mk2

Post by kiran_mk2 »

Big Nick wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 20:40 I went up to St Ives last Sunday. Several colleagues I met there didn't realise the route had changed and found themselves at Brampton :lol: . I had to read the signs to be sure I took the correct exit but what a joy.

Is the average speed system still active on the A1307? I only dive Swavesy to Godmanchester and the only cameras left on this section are at St Ives - so nothing from them to average me on!
Big Nick

Post by Big Nick »

kiran_mk2 wrote:
Big Nick wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 20:40 I went up to St Ives last Sunday. Several colleagues I met there didn't realise the route had changed and found themselves at Brampton Image . I had to read the signs to be sure I took the correct exit but what a joy.

Is the average speed system still active on the A1307? I only dive Swavesy to Godmanchester and the only cameras left on this section are at St Ives - so nothing from them to average me on!
That's a good question. The yellow gantries are still up by St Ives but I haven't gone any further up.
The cameras might be inactive for all we know but an empty, unpoliced dual carriageway is just asking for racer trouble.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

NICK 647063

Re: A14 Cambridge to Huntingdon

Post by NICK 647063 »

Big Nick wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 13:15
kiran_mk2 wrote:
Big Nick wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 20:40 I went up to St Ives last Sunday. Several colleagues I met there didn't realise the route had changed and found themselves at Brampton Image . I had to read the signs to be sure I took the correct exit but what a joy.

That's a good question. The yellow gantries are still up by St Ives but I haven't gone any further up.
The cameras might be inactive for all we know but an empty, unpoliced dual carriageway is just asking for racer trouble.

The cameras were only for the A14 issues, I suspect as this is now the A1307 and it’s not got the huge amount of traffic or HGV’s then the cameras are not needed, obviously this could lead to the road becoming a racetrack but unless accidents happen then I assume justifying the cost of keeping and maintaining the cameras isn’t viable.
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

It's also worth noting that the A1307 provides eastbound access to the A14 for the logistics and distribution centres at Cardinal Park, just off the former A1198 junction, and the whole area is getting a lot of new houses. Therefore retaining the dual carriageway does make sense to cater for the mass of car depedent growth that we're going to see in the area. However, I would like to have seen better cycle provision made along it as part of the refurbishment and handover of the route - it basically has the feel of just being abandoned, with signs patched over. I would also, as I've said before, have liked some efforts to be made to bypass the old Huntingdon bridge and close it to vehicles by creating a new junction with the B1044 (at grade would be fine).
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
kiran_mk2

Post by kiran_mk2 »

c2R wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 07:08 It's also worth noting that the A1307 provides eastbound access to the A14 for the logistics and distribution centres at Cardinal Park, just off the former A1198 junction, and the whole area is getting a lot of new houses. Therefore retaining the dual carriageway does make sense to cater for the mass of car depedent growth that we're going to see in the area. However, I would like to have seen better cycle provision made along it as part of the refurbishment and handover of the route - it basically has the feel of just being abandoned, with signs patched over. I would also, as I've said before, have liked some efforts to be made to bypass the old Huntingdon bridge and close it to vehicles by creating a new junction with the B1044 (at grade would be fine).
I wonder how long the distribution centre will stay there. It used to be perfectly placed on the road from Felixstowe at the point where the routes to the Midlands and north west (A14/M6) diverges from the route to the north east (A1). Now HGVs to/from the west have to navigate a new roundabout for the Godmanchester housing estate (and as I guess the housebuilders had to pay for it, they put in a small one). I also guess that the land the distribution park is on would be pretty valuable for house builders if DHL, Co-op etc decided to relocate.
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

kiran_mk2 wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 17:32
c2R wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 07:08 It's also worth noting that the A1307 provides eastbound access to the A14 for the logistics and distribution centres at Cardinal Park, just off the former A1198 junction, and the whole area is getting a lot of new houses. Therefore retaining the dual carriageway does make sense to cater for the mass of car depedent growth that we're going to see in the area. However, I would like to have seen better cycle provision made along it as part of the refurbishment and handover of the route - it basically has the feel of just being abandoned, with signs patched over. I would also, as I've said before, have liked some efforts to be made to bypass the old Huntingdon bridge and close it to vehicles by creating a new junction with the B1044 (at grade would be fine).
I wonder how long the distribution centre will stay there. It used to be perfectly placed on the road from Felixstowe at the point where the routes to the Midlands and north west (A14/M6) diverges from the route to the north east (A1). Now HGVs to/from the west have to navigate a new roundabout for the Godmanchester housing estate (and as I guess the housebuilders had to pay for it, they put in a small one). I also guess that the land the distribution park is on would be pretty valuable for house builders if DHL, Co-op etc decided to relocate.
There's far worse locations - it's still pretty convenient even with a couple of extra roundabouts to negotiate... although you're right that it's ripe for repurposing for some juicy car-dependent suburbs....!
Runwell

Post by Runwell »

Work to complete removal of the Huntingdon Viaduct is underway this weekend. Ongoing until January.
B1040

Post by B1040 »

Public notice about road closures for road works on the Huntingdon spur referred to it as A14(M) and A1307 trunk road.
MotorwayGuy

Re: A14 Cambridge to Huntingdon

Post by MotorwayGuy »

NICK 647063 wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 19:59
Big Nick wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 13:15
kiran_mk2 wrote:

The cameras were only for the A14 issues, I suspect as this is now the A1307 and it’s not got the huge amount of traffic or HGV’s then the cameras are not needed, obviously this could lead to the road becoming a racetrack but unless accidents happen then I assume justifying the cost of keeping and maintaining the cameras isn’t viable.
I'm not sure some of them ever worked, I knew someone who regularly drove above 80 between Fenstanton and Bar Hill and never got anything!