A14 Cambridge to Huntingdon "news"

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Jeni
Banned

Re: A14 Cambridge to Huntingdon "news"

Post by Jeni »

Flythrough of what will happen in Huntingdon

Looks good - will cement in the fact that it's not a through route. It'll be a massive improvement for the locals getting rid of the eyesore.
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

Jeni wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 16:47 Flythrough of what will happen in Huntingdon

Looks good - will cement in the fact that it's not a through route. It'll be a massive improvement for the locals getting rid of the eyesore.
I would love for the local authority to take this further, and prohibit traffic crossing Huntingdon Bridge, by adding another entrance to the dual carriageway from west of Godmanchester - there does appear to be some vacant land by the substation at the edge of the flyover where this could be accommodated.

The current two way traffic arrangement clearly is causing damage to the bridge as it (being 700 years old) simply isn't wide enough: https://www.google.com/maps/@52.3275447 ... 312!8i6656
Attachments
bridge.jpg
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
Berk

Post by Berk »

It’s been more usual to restrict traffic to give and take on historic bridges - for example at Wansford Bridge, or closer to home, Deeping Gate Bridge.

From the SABRE Wiki: Wansford Bridge :

The C340 (formerly A6118) crosses the River Nene on Wansford Bridge in the centre of Wansford. This is the line of the original Great North Road before the bypass was built to take the A1 away from the town.

The bridge itself consists of 12 arches, the southern two being the newest and dating from 1795. They are the only two to actually cross the river channel now, and were rebuilt following damage from ice. The northern of the two has a wide eliptical span, and so is very

... Read More
B1040

Post by B1040 »

It's interesting to see. My objections are that the video makes Huntingdon seem rather more rural than I perceive it and a lot less congested.
The Pathfinder link should be useful for reducing traffic through Godmanchester and over the bridge.
I still think that a different number for the Alconbury to Huntingdon road could reduce through traffic.
Big Nick

Post by Big Nick »

Is there a purpose for that raised roundabout north of the bridge? Are they planning to build on that floodplain?
Surely a curved road would be more suitable there and leave the field for wildlife?
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

There's certainly an entrance for some development opposite the fire or police station or whatever it is. It would make sense to build stuff on the land, given its accessible nature to the motorway network.

I think. Though, its there to slow traffic which might not have stopped since Newcastle.
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

It is my understanding that the section of the viaduct over the river will be retained so that in future traffic from Godmanchester to Huntingdon will continue to use this to get over the river and use the new Mill Common roundabout. From Godmanchester traffic will simply join the A1307 (currently A14) at what is now J14 via either the Cambridge Road (B1044) or the London Road/A1198 to cross the river and drive into Huntingdon via Mill Common Road to the inner ring road (Castle Moat Street/Walden Road). I see no reason to add the complication of another link road when a perfectly good one already exists.

The old Town Bridge was in fact the main route from Cambridge to the A1 as well as the A604 to Thrapston, Leicester and the West Midlands before the then A604 Huntingdon viaduct was opened. While its use by HGV's is righly restricted the damage to the bridge approaches dates back many years. The bridge was built in 1322 so it has really done rather well. As I understand it the last significant bridge strike was in 2006 and was repaired under the supervision of English Heritage. A 700 year old bridge can expect to have a few scars, remember that until 100 years ago the carts and wains that used it would have iron rimmed wheels.
roadtester

Post by roadtester »

Jeni wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 16:47 Looks good - will cement in the fact that it's not a through route. It'll be a massive improvement for the locals getting rid of the eyesore.
Yes - whatever the wider pros and cons of getting rid of the bridge for the network as a whole, it's a huge win for the local environment on that side of the town centre in Huntingdon. The big bridge really ruins the area around the station.

On thing that occurs to me - taking it down will presumably be quite a big and difficult job, given how busy the station, the ECML and surrounding roads are.
Electrophorus Electricus

Check out #davidsdailycar on Mastodon
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

roadtester wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:21
Jeni wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 16:47 Looks good - will cement in the fact that it's not a through route. It'll be a massive improvement for the locals getting rid of the eyesore.
Yes - whatever the wider pros and cons of getting rid of the bridge for the network as a whole, it's a huge win for the local environment on that side of the town centre in Huntingdon. The big bridge really ruins the area around the station.

On thing that occurs to me - taking it down will presumably be quite a big and difficult job, given how busy the station, the ECML and surrounding roads are.
Indeed, there is a detailed plan in place for this which as I understand it involves demolition section by section with the railway bridge being the most complicated as the window for closures is tight.
the cheesecake man

Post by the cheesecake man »

KeithW wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:52

Indeed, there is a detailed plan in place for this which as I understand it involves demolition section by section with the railway bridge being the most complicated as the window for closures is tight.
ECML closed this weekend. Pity road and rail couldn't have taken the opportunity to cooperate to minimise disruption.
Chris56000

Post by Chris56000 »

Hi!

Any news on the modification of the D.C.O. to allow Motorway Regulations to be introduced on the new sections of A14 yet?

Chris Williams
Berk

Post by Berk »

the cheesecake man wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 19:16
roadtester wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:21 Yes - whatever the wider pros and cons of getting rid of the bridge for the network as a whole, it's a huge win for the local environment on that side of the town centre in Huntingdon. The big bridge really ruins the area around the station.

ECML closed this weekend. Pity road and rail couldn't have taken the opportunity to cooperate to minimise disruption.
Might’ve been doable. I believe the plan is to do it over Christmas. Not sure if that’s this year or next.
trickstat

Post by trickstat »

It would be a little daft to remove the viaduct when the new A14(M) isn't open yet!
Jeni
Banned

Post by Jeni »

trickstat wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 22:06 It would be a little daft to remove the viaduct when the new A14(M) isn't open yet!
Almost worth it for the comedy value though :-)
nowster
Treasurer

Post by nowster »

Signs say completion of the A14(M) is December 2020.
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

Chris56000 wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 19:59 Hi!

Any news on the modification of the D.C.O. to allow Motorway Regulations to be introduced on the new sections of A14 yet?

Chris Williams
No SIs have been published on legislation.gov.uk as yet.
A9NWIL

Post by A9NWIL »

Jeni wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 23:26
trickstat wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 22:06 It would be a little daft to remove the viaduct when the new A14(M) isn't open yet!
Almost worth it for the comedy value though :-)
You would see traffic in that area grind to a halt just for the comedy value? The M11, the M25 and the M1 would be swamped with traffic, so would the A428 and the A1!
Formerly known as 'lortjw'
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

Berk wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 21:27
KeithW wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:52 Indeed, there is a detailed plan in place for this which as I understand it involves demolition section by section with the railway bridge being the most complicated as the window for closures is tight.
Might’ve been doable. I believe the plan is to do it over Christmas. Not sure if that’s this year or next.
2021 was the last date I saw. They are going to have to fully open the A14 first and complete the mods for the A1307 and build the new layout on Mill Common first I imagine.
Al__S

Post by Al__S »

The railway will almost certainly schedule other works in the closed section (which could just be Peterborough to Hitchin, with some services diverted via Cambridge) during the bridge removal. They're getting to be very good at coordinating works to make the most of valuable closures. Something Highways could learn from
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

They have more than enough on their plate even if we didn't still need the viaduct. As I understand it the closure is part of a major signalling upgrade which will implement ETCS (European Train Control System) signalling and permit 140 mph running on the ECML.

Other works involved in the ongoing ECML upgrade are the Werrington Dive Under which like the Hitchin Flyover is a grade separated junction for the railway which will increase the capacity of the line. by allowing trains on the west side of the ECML to cross it and serve destinations such as Spalding and Lincoln thus increasing rail freight capacity without impacting high speed traffic on the ECML.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Werrington_Dive_Under
https://www.networkrail.co.uk/running-t ... eparation/

I believe this is scheduled for completion in 2021 and since it is just north of Peterborough station I suspect the final phase of the work will be coordinated with the viaduct removal.