A14 Cambridge to Huntingdon "news"

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

B1040

Re: A14 Cambridge to Huntingdon "news"

Post by B1040 »

Berk wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 23:59 What “torrential rain” was this?? We only had light showers in Peterborough.

Sounds like the opening’ll be delayed for weeks.
We had short but heavy rain that night in Ramsey.
I get the feeling that showers are very localised.
If heavy rain does this to the works we could have a repeat of the early days of the M1 and M6 Preston bypass with closures for reconstruction. I've just remembered that this happened to the new A16 near Peterborough fairly recently.
Al__S

Post by Al__S »

Whilst I'm perfectly willing to believe the heavy rain story (there were VERY localised downpours in the area that night) going through the junction the last couple of days it has looked like the section in question is more than one night's work from completion. I really get the impression that they went ahead with the publicity about a week early.
crb11

Post by crb11 »

DB617 wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 16:00
Stevie D wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 08:15
ais523 wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 19:26That "non-motorway traffic" warning on the sign confuses me. Non-motorway traffic gets to use the A14, too (if it can get to that point at all; it will be on the A14(M) once that upgrade happens). So why force it all into Cambridge?
Presumably because non-motorway traffic wanting the A14 knows it can use the A14 as it's not a motorway, but it is directing non-motorway traffic wanting destinations reached by the motorway to go through Cambridge, which is probably the most sensible route for it.
I took it to mean 'Traffic for Cambridge which is non-motorway and thus can't use the M11' but as we can see there is definitely some ambiguity here...
Before the roadworks there was a sign in tiny print reading "Motorway ahead / prohibited traffic proceed via Cambridge"[/url] which this one is presumably intended to replace.
[real name Colin]
Berk

Post by Berk »

I had earlier forgotten whether “A1307” drivers will still be able to use the cut-through to do a 180, turning back towards the crematorium (they won’t).

I do wonder why so many of the older links are being retained “for emergency use” (e.g, A14W-N). It’s not standard practice to retain older links and slips for new schemes.

I further notice on OS Maps that the new LAR is appearing (as an unclassified road) behind the crem, and The Avenue has been converted to a dead end.
Al__S

Post by Al__S »

I'veen driving/cycling along the LAR, which has a banner and signs proclaiming it as the A1307 (so OS are wrong), since it opened. The new junction arrangement will still allow drivers heading east on the A14(M) to double back to the crematorium, via the A1307, in the same way the cut-back loop did.
Berk

Post by Berk »

They do sometimes makes mistakes, particularly on new and amended alignments. It took OS nearly 10 years to “dual” a section of A15 in Peterborough. :shock:
the cheesecake man

Post by the cheesecake man »

Berk wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 02:55 They do sometimes makes mistakes...
And of course they make deliberate ones to detect copyright infringements so there's always a small possibility you've stumbled across one.
Berk

Post by Berk »

the cheesecake man wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 16:32
Berk wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 02:55 They do sometimes makes mistakes...
And of course they make deliberate ones to detect copyright infringements so there's always a small possibility you've stumbled across one.
The ones near Cambridge, possibly. Though again I have seen instances of OS getting the classification wrong, particularly if it’s a new-build road, or after a renumbering.

The ones near Peterborough... well, if you can ignore the fact a road has been dualled for 10 years and get away with it that long, good luck to you.
Al__S

Post by Al__S »

Al__S wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 17:28 Whilst I'm perfectly willing to believe the heavy rain story (there were VERY localised downpours in the area that night) going through the junction the last couple of days it has looked like the section in question is more than one night's work from completion. I really get the impression that they went ahead with the publicity about a week early.
And this is still, as far as I can see, some distance away from being openable. What IS going on? Meanwhile a digger was being used to demolish an earth access ramp from inside the junction to the new west bound link, so that's progress.
mikehindsonevans

Post by mikehindsonevans »

Last night (Tuesday 3rd), the eastbound on-ramp at the Histon junction was closed on the dot of 2100hrs as the bus went past.

Oh, please, finish the works under the A14 and get the Guided Busway reopened. The closure is messing with my beer visits via the Busway!!
Mike Hindson-Evans.
Never argue with a conspiracy theorist.
They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Berk

Post by Berk »

Al__S wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 20:15
Al__S wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 17:28Whilst I'm perfectly willing to believe the heavy rain story (there were VERY localised downpours in the area that night) going through the junction the last couple of days it has looked like the section in question is more than one night's work from completion. I really get the impression that they went ahead with the publicity about a week early.
And this is still, as far as I can see, some distance away from being openable. What IS going on? Meanwhile a digger was being used to demolish an earth access ramp from inside the junction to the new west bound link, so that's progress.
Do you mean they’ve not done any new work for more than a week??
Al__S

Post by Al__S »

Berk wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 23:03 Do you mean they’ve not done any new work for more than a week??
No, there's been extensive work as far as I can see. Which makes the "we were held up by a rain shower" story even less believable.
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

Al__S wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 06:36
Berk wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 23:03 Do you mean they’ve not done any new work for more than a week??
No, there's been extensive work as far as I can see. Which makes the "we were held up by a rain shower" story even less believable.

It depends on what you are doing. Some work can be done in the rain other tasks cannot, casting concrete is one of them, laying asphalt is another. Nobody likes having crews sitting around not working but sometimes it happens and the last thing anyone wants is the nice new road surface cracking because it was laid in the rain or on wet ground. I saw that happen on a site road at ICI Wilton and they had to rip it up and do it again.
medgoode

Post by medgoode »

The following tweet from Cambs Travel News Twitter suggests that the new slip road for exiting the A14 into Cambridge will open on Monday.

https://twitter.com/Cambs_Traffic/statu ... 63168?s=19
crowntown100

Post by crowntown100 »

Might be of interest of those not following Highways England on YouTube.
Harry
dcrc2

Post by dcrc2 »

mikehindsonevans wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 22:58 Oh, please, finish the works under the A14 and get the Guided Busway reopened. The closure is messing with my beer visits via the Busway!!
Looks like it will take a while. Access for cyclists/pedestrians has been reopened in time for the start of term: they've done this by concreting over the city-bound track of the busway to create a new path. This allows people to walk/cycle through the middle third of the underpass while major work continues on either side.
medgoode

Post by medgoode »

Latest from the A14C2H Facebook page:
When the A14 westbound reopens on Monday morning after the night closure, drivers will be able to access the A14 westbound from the new slip road off the A1307 Huntingdon Road.

At the same time, lanes 2 and 3 of the A14 westbound carriageway from just past the Dry Drayton junction (30) will be switched to run on the old eastbound carriageway and lane 1 will be for access to the Dry Drayton and Bar Hill junctions ONLY.

It will be no longer possible to enter the A14 westbound at the Dry Drayton (junction 30) All access to the A14 westbound will be from the new westbound A1307 slip road
Al__S

Post by Al__S »

dcrc2 wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 15:33
mikehindsonevans wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 22:58 Oh, please, finish the works under the A14 and get the Guided Busway reopened. The closure is messing with my beer visits via the Busway!!
Looks like it will take a while. Access for cyclists/pedestrians has been reopened in time for the start of term: they've done this by concreting over the city-bound track of the busway to create a new path. This allows people to walk/cycle through the middle third of the underpass while major work continues on either side.
The whole busway closure has highlighted that as ever Highways England are bit rubbish when it comes to considering anything other than long distance car/lorry traffic. Closing the path wouldn't have been half as bad if they hadn't removed the foot/cycleway along one side of the roundabout at Histon at the same time
Berk

Post by Berk »

Why is it necessary for the busway/cycle path to directly cross the A14?? Or did you mean it’s a natural direction for commuter cyclists to take towards Huntingdon Road??
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

Berk wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 17:18 Why is it necessary for the busway/cycle path to directly cross the A14?? Or did you mean it’s a natural direction for commuter cyclists to take towards Huntingdon Road??
Given that the cycle path goes from Boxworth to Swavesey it has to cross the A14. This was one of the things that was specifically requested by cyclists and hikers during the A14 consultation. This provides a cycle route from Boxworth and Papworth to Cambridge. Once they have crossed the A14 the new LAR to the Huntingdon Road is available or they can via Oakington and Histon to the Science Park and of course to Swavesey and the guided busway which has cycle racks at the station.