A14 Cambridge to Huntingdon "news"

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

KeithW

Re: A14 Cambridge to Huntingdon "news"

Post by KeithW »

doebag wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 16:10 As I am sure you know, the A141 at Chatteris 'is' a by-pass/relief road from the orginal route.
The obvious place to plug in a new A141 would be Bridge St roundabout, but I think the land at the Green Welly cafe is being redeveloped.
Another possibilty would be to join the A141 and the A142 by routing a bypass south of the town, reducing the amount of traffic on the A141 through the ridiculous roundabout at the aborted Tesco's site.
I do indeed know that and it has as is all too common become an magnet for out of town shopping and light industrial sites accessing the road directly or at best with a roundabout. This is precisely why I would route the new bypass well to the west. Chatteris would not be the first place to have the bypass bypassed. Wetherby is on its third and Boroughbridge its second.
B1040

Post by B1040 »

Probably not good geology for a new road west of Chatteris. Soft fen where the few roads that already exist get rather uneven and bumpy.
M11(A14(M))

Post by M11(A14(M)) »

Didn’t they encounter a similar problem with one of the motorways up north (M62 I think)?
Motorways travelled on so far: M1, M2, M3, M4, M5, M6, M6 Toll, M11, M18, M20, M23, M25, M26, M27, M42, M62, M180, A1(M), A3(M), A14(M)
doebag

Post by doebag »

B1040 wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 20:45 Probably not good geology for a new road west of Chatteris. Soft fen where the few roads that already exist get rather uneven and bumpy.
I think in general the problem is with older roads that are ‘B’ or unclassified , where the base layers are either not designed for modern traffic or pretty much non existent.
More modern roads built to better standards don’t seem to suffer such extremes of damage or movement.
Mettie

Post by Mettie »

doebag wrote:
B1040 wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 20:45 Probably not good geology for a new road west of Chatteris. Soft fen where the few roads that already exist get rather uneven and bumpy.
I think in general the problem is with older roads that are ‘B’ or unclassified , where the base layers are either not designed for modern traffic or pretty much non existent.
More modern roads built to better standards don’t seem to suffer such extremes of damage or movement.
You haven't driven the A16 between Spalding and Peterborough recently then?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

doebag

Re: A14 Cambridge to Huntingdon

Post by doebag »

Mettie wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 21:26
doebag wrote:

Yesterday funnily enough. And yes it is poor for a new road. But it did not have large cracks in the tarmac you can lose your finger in like a lot of the B roads around here.
*edit for atrocious spelling.
Last edited by doebag on Thu Sep 10, 2020 08:14, edited 1 time in total.
Mettie

Post by Mettie »

doebag wrote:
Mettie wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 21:26
doebag wrote: I think in general the problem is with older roads that are ‘B’ or unclassified , where the base layers are either not designed for modern traffic or pretty much non existent.

Yesterday funnily enough. And yes it is poor for a new road. But it did not have large cracks in the tarmac you can loose your finger in like a lot of the B roads around here.
No, most of those were patched before it was surface dressed! I’m sure it won’t be long before they reappear...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Big Nick

Post by Big Nick »

Coming south to the M11 last night was odd. I'm obviously not used to the new road yet but it is confusing when you get to the M11/A1 road splits and the various lanes go everywhere. For a few minutes I was worried that I'd missed the lanes for the M11 and was either heading south down the A1 or going onto some unnamed local route. Route Confirmation Sign could be nice?

The speed limit there isn't too clear, lots of people slow down. Some worker had left a yellow "50 - Roadworks" sign out but there was nothing on the overhead gantries, no cones to be seen, plus the various cameras are signed as 'not in use' so after a while we all zoomed on at 70mph.
Scope for installing an NSL sign?

Roadworks on the newly finished road as we got to Cambridge did not impress me either.
But a few miles further south I saw how they clean the big signs - with a large roller brush on a JCB arm! Never seen that before :lol:
Hdeng16

Post by Hdeng16 »

Big Nick wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 13:43 Coming south to the M11 last night was odd. I'm obviously not used to the new road yet but it is confusing when you get to the M11/A1 road splits and the various lanes go everywhere. For a few minutes I was worried that I'd missed the lanes for the M11 and was either heading south down the A1 or going onto some unnamed local route. Route Confirmation Sign could
What?!

Sorry I tried to work out if it was a typo but I’m honestly not sure what junction you mean. There is no M11/A1 junction and I can’t work out from the description where you mean.
Al__S

Post by Al__S »

Hopefully this will be fixed soon- but for now, at Bar Hill on both A14 entrances there are NSL signs after the Variable Speed Limit displays.
Big Nick

Post by Big Nick »

Hdeng16 wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 07:40
Big Nick wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 13:43 Coming south to the M11 last night was odd. I'm obviously not used to the new road yet but it is confusing when you get to the M11/A1 road splits and the various lanes go everywhere. For a few minutes I was worried that I'd missed the lanes for the M11 and was either heading south down the A1 or going onto some unnamed local route. Route Confirmation Sign could
What?!

Sorry I tried to work out if it was a typo but I’m honestly not sure what junction you mean. There is no M11/A1 junction and I can’t work out from the description where you mean.
Sorry, I mean where the A14 splits and takes you to the A1 North, A1 South or down the A14 to the M11. It goes into 3 different routes and not being familiar with the road can lead to uncertainty.
My main thought is that the very large overhead sign (at J20 or J21?) has a lot of info to absorb in the short time as you drive up to it.

It's a shame that Google Streetview hasn't yet been updated to show the new road so we could study the signage and layout in depth at our leisure.
trickstat

Post by trickstat »

Big Nick wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:52
Hdeng16 wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 07:40
What?!

Sorry, I mean where the A14 splits and takes you to the A1 North, A1 South or down the A14 to the M11. It goes into 3 different routes and not being familiar with the road can lead to uncertainty.
My main thought is that the very large overhead sign (at J20 or J21?) has a lot of info to absorb in the short time as you drive up to it.

It's a shame that Google Streetview hasn't yet been updated to show the new road so we could study the signage and layout in depth at our leisure.
If, a few minutes after that sign, you are driving on a viaduct over the Ouse and the East Coast Main Line you are still on the A14 and heading towards the M11.

Also, if you are on a D2 you are on the A1 South. If you are on a D3, the A14. If it's D4M you are on the A1(M) North.

I also don't think you can get from the A14 to the A1 without travelling on something that is clearly a sliproad?
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

This is why we used to have butterfly gantry signs which made it crystal clear which slip roads went where, but the "I don't want to maintain those" brigade got them shanked from the network.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
ManomayLR
Assistant Site Manager

Post by ManomayLR »

Bryn666 wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:13 This is why we used to have butterfly gantry signs which made it crystal clear which slip roads went where, but the "I don't want to maintain those" brigade got them shanked from the network.
It would be cool to have a butterfly sign with MS4s sitting on top as well, one for each route.
Though roads may not put a smile on everyone's face, there is one road that always will: the road to home.
Fenlander

Re: A14 Cambridge to Huntingdon

Post by Fenlander »

Mettie wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 21:57
doebag wrote:
Mettie wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 21:26 You haven't driven the A16 between Spalding and Peterborough recently then?

Yesterday funnily enough. And yes it is poor for a new road. But it did not have large cracks in the tarmac you can loose your finger in like a lot of the B roads around here.
No, most of those were patched before it was surface dressed! I’m sure it won’t be long before they reappear...

There’s a pretty large rollercoaster at the Spalding end of the new bit heading towards Peterborough, can’t surface dress that and it almost feels like you get airborne.
Mettie

Post by Mettie »

Yes, the rollercoaster has got worse in the past few months, looked a lot more obvious in the sunset on Friday as I went home. Several large potholes and a split on the PCC side between Newborough roundabout and the Carr Dyke bridge, that someone has thoughtfully marked on Waze, and a ‘lip’ starting to form either side of the bridge is making it an interesting drive in the twilight...

Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

I came through westbound yesterday afternoon. There was one gantry lit up with 60 limits, with national speed limit again on the next. It was busy but free flowing, with no obvious hazard that would cause such a thing.

Anyone care to place a bet on whether or not the gantry with 60 signs also had a speed camera attached?
Make poetry history.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
Al__S

Post by Al__S »

the cameras still have "camera not in use" signs, and there's a mix of fixed & temporary NSL signs right after the entry VSL displays on all on ramps at the moment
B1040

Post by B1040 »

Another friend from Kent had his sat nav send him up the former A604 (M) rather than along the new road on his way from Scotland towards the M11.
The signage at the old split was very poor last time I passed.
medgoode

Post by medgoode »

A14 Cambridge to Huntingdon roadworks items for auction
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-c ... e-54476554

Could be a good chance to grab some souvenirs! Can't seem to find the auction site though. Wouldn't mind a sign for the garden!

Update: Found the auction site!
https://www.ppauctions.com/auction/304/ ... ivery-team