A344; is this a 'live' A Road, or not

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Dr.Strange

A344; is this a 'live' A Road, or not

Post by Dr.Strange »

Ref A303 Paul, quite apart from needing to get the permit to traverse what remains of the A344 West to East (to get to the current Stonehenge Visitor Centre), it seems the English Heritage Stewards have been instructed to stop any mechanically propelled vehicle from traversing the metalled road where Byway 12 crosses that route North South, or South North. Begs the question what status does the metalled road ("A344") now have; TRO doesn't make it clear. :confused:
Jim606

Re: A344; is this a 'live' A Road, or not

Post by Jim606 »

Thanks for the info on what English Heritage (EH) are planning to do with the remaining part of the A344 road. I thought that they might opt for a barrier system at the western top end by the new Visitors Centre, however you state that they have gone for permits.

Apart from EH's tourist land buggies running to and from the stones there is likely to be some maintenance, farm and traffic associated with Managed Open Access i.e. the Winter Solstice and both the Equinoxes. Traditionally parking for these gatherings has been down on Byway 12 (which is also known as The Droves). I guess that because these gatherings are early in the morning permit enforcement will not apply? However, it will be interesting to see what signage and restrictions EH do put up by the Visitors Centre about access to this remaining part of the A344.

Jim
EngineerAl

Post by EngineerAl »

The TRO is access to permit holders only, which means in this phase the gatemen issue permits to those wanting to get down to the stone and old visitors centre. From Dec 18th when the new Visitor Centre opens only emergency service, utility, maintenance vehicles/access for farmers will be issued permits at the gates. The land train will be a permitted vehicle and this will operate from the new Visitors centre car park, to the Fargo 1/2 way along the A344 then onto the stone drop off. The gate acoss the stopped up section will be manned during hours when the land train is operating.

The classification of the A344 is to remain jut that for the moment, re-clssification to follow in the next year I would imagine, tho a few other issues to sort first
Dr.Strange wrote:Ref A303 Paul, quite apart from needing to get the permit to traverse what remains of the A344 West to East (to get to the current Stonehenge Visitor Centre), it seems the English Heritage Stewards have been instructed to stop any mechanically propelled vehicle from traversing the metalled road where Byway 12 crosses that route North South, or South North. Begs the question what status does the metalled road ("A344") now have; TRO doesn't make it clear. :confused:
Jim606

Post by Jim606 »

Info from the English Heritage website about the new access arrangement to the old A344:

'In June 2013 the A344 was closed between the A303 and Stonehenge, with all traffic to the Stonehenge car park taking the A360 and the A344 from Airman's Corner (download a map showing the road access). From 9 October 2013, Wiltshire Council's new Traffic Regulation Order prohibits the use of the remaining A344 (from Airman's Corner to the Stones) by motorised vehicles without a valid permit. English Heritage will be opening the new Stonehenge visitor centre at Airman's Corner on 18 December 2013. Until then, Stonehenge will remain open every day as normal, but from 9 October to 17 December vehicles travelling along the A344 to the car park near the Stones will need to display a permit. During Stonehenge opening hours, visitors will need to stop at the gated entry point on the A344 near Airman's Corner roundabout to collect a permit before proceeding to the Stonehenge car park. Permits will be collected at the same place from visitors leaving the site after their visit. Outside of Stonehenge opening hours, the gate across the A344 will be closed. The road will remain accessible to non-motorised users (pedestrians, cyclists and horse-riders) at all times. From 18 December 2013 the new visitor centre will be open to the public, and all visitor parking will be in the car and coach parks at Airman's Corner.'
SteveA30

Post by SteveA30 »

Visited the new Stonehenge on Jan 5, timing it for a morning visit, before the next set of gales and rain swept in later. :rolleyes:
The new centre is by the A360/old A344 junction, which is now a rbt. Cars to the right of the A344, next to the Centre, coaches over on the eastern side of the road. Very smart centre, with cafe, shop and loo, all accessible for free. Car park free for a while, as final arrangements not in place yet, so get there soon. Ticket, £14.90! for the stones and exhibition in the centre.

Wooden gates are closed across the road, as shuttle buses are always inside for the journey to the stones. A344 is still intact and, will presumably say so, as there is a frequent 2-way service. The stones are out of sight from the Centre.

The Airmans Cross has been moved to the car park, from whereever it was.
Roads and holidays in the west, before motorways.
http://trektothewest.shutterfly.com
http://holidayroads.webs.com/
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

SteveA30 wrote:Ticket, £14.90! for the stones and exhibition in the centre.
It was roughly that when we visited two years ago. Although it wasn't until nearly a year later when we found out we could have gone in for free, being National Trust members. There is no mention of this at the gates, but the NT website does say there is no charge to members.
Voie Rapide / Mótarbhealaí
Updated 1 November 2019!
ps187

Post by ps187 »

Nicholas wrote:
It was roughly that when we visited two years ago, but I would check again. Although it wasn't until nearly a year later when we found out we could have gone in for free, being National Trust members. There is no mention of this at the gates, but the NT website does say there is no charge to members, knowing this would have helped.
So if a NT member, then, just to mention it at the gate and it would be free?
Last edited by ps187 on Sun Feb 16, 2014 02:12, edited 1 time in total.
PeterA5145

Post by PeterA5145 »

Nicholas wrote:
It was roughly that when we visited two years ago. Although it wasn't until nearly a year later when we found out we could have gone in for free, being National Trust members. There is no mention of this at the gates, but the NT website does say there is no charge to members.
It's actually an English Heritage property but also allows free entry to NT members. The current English Heritage handbook quotes an admission charge of £8.00 for an adult.

I have to say £14.90 seems prohibitively steep - while it's undoubtedly a very special monument there isn't really that much to see.
“The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” – Robert A. Heinlein
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Might be because most of the land around the site is NT owned. Similar applies with the Hadrian's Wall forts, although the concession is signposted there.
Updated 1 November 2019!
Dr.Strange

Post by Dr.Strange »

Hi to All;
My opening question is still extant; English Heritage don't own the land, or the road; technically National Trust do, and what remains of the A344 runs upon it. At the East end, just down from Byway 12 the tarmac has been dug up as a result of the approval of the Stopping Up Order, but at the West end, adjacent to the new Stonehenge Visitor Centre 2 sets of gates have been installed which when the Visitor Centre closes (variable times per season) are closed, and have been seen to be locked, which should only be permissible if the road were privately owned.
Moreover, should the status be Restricted Byway, there should be UNRESTRICTED Access for pedestrians,cyclists,and horse; ridden, or led. This self evidently isn't currently the case, hence my question.
SteveA30

Post by SteveA30 »

I don't know the legal position but, there was someone there all the time, watching all activity. They have a hut on the verge to hide in. My plan was to drive down to the old visitor centre to see it closed up, before demolition but, not possible.

I would have walked but, rain was on its way and duly arrived shortly after I left. I don't know if I would have been stopped had I tried that. If the future car park charges include visiting the centre only then, that will have been my first and last visit.

In summer, I may walk over from Woodhenge direction to the old A344 ancient monument, which is near some big rocks I believe.
Roads and holidays in the west, before motorways.
http://trektothewest.shutterfly.com
http://holidayroads.webs.com/
Big Nick

Post by Big Nick »

Looking at the OS map online, the whole area around Stonehenge (but not that triangle part) is Open Access land, on which you can walk freely without having to follow paths. This is subject to farmers needs, grazing cattle, works etc.

You might be able to get closer in your own vehicle by driving along Byway 12!
http://mikepitts.wordpress.com/2013/06/ ... -the-a344/
http://mikepitts.wordpress.com/2011/12/ ... tonehenge/

Moving the Airman's Cross will be better for the memory of Captain Loraine and Staff Sergeant Wilson and should serve to remind people that the early days of flying were rather risky.

What is the other memorial on the old A344 nearer to Stonehenge, I'm sure it was in a tricky to reach layby near some trees?
DEANO3528

Post by DEANO3528 »

Speaking personally it couldn't have been a better result!
The tarmac road (A344) was stopped up, leaving our beloved (and fast disappearing) byways alone.
Only trouble I can see is that it will now be even harder to cross or join the 303 W/b as there is absolutely no slowing point for the old A344 junction. To go straight over from Amesbury 12 onto Woodford 16/Berwick St.James 11/Wilsford cum Lake 1 might be quite interesting.
Cheers now
DEANO
PeterA5145

Post by PeterA5145 »

Apparently the new visitor arrangements are proving pretty chaotic, causing it to be dubbed Moanhenge :roll:
“The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” – Robert A. Heinlein
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Thread bump, simply because I was down there today taking our Australian visitor to "tick one off [his] bucket list". Just allows me to post a few photos of the A344:
The A344 is now occupied solely by vehicles providing the visitor shuttle. No land trains today, just Optare Solos provided by Go South Coast
The A344 is now occupied solely by vehicles providing the visitor shuttle. No land trains today, just Optare Solos provided by Go South Coast
The A344 from the Airman's Corner end. The lights were for use with the Solstice.
The A344 from the Airman's Corner end. The lights were for use with the Solstice.
The A344 from the Stones end of the remaining road. The end of the road is marked by the presence of a bus turning circle.
The A344 from the Stones end of the remaining road. The end of the road is marked by the presence of a bus turning circle.
Updated 1 November 2019!
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

The permit that allows authorised vehicles to use the road.
The permit that allows authorised vehicles to use the road.
It could be said that part of the A344 is now "pedestrianised" as this path is on the course of the old road.
It could be said that part of the A344 is now "pedestrianised" as this path is on the course of the old road.
The grassed over section of the A344, close to the old A303 junction
The grassed over section of the A344, close to the old A303 junction
Updated 1 November 2019!
Richardf

Post by Richardf »

I would say that the A344 is an ex A road now, on purely practical grounds. You cant use it like you would any other 'A' road.

In theory at least this means the a344 number is now free for reuse. Any suggestions as to what it could be used for?

Interesting to find out NT members can access the stones for free. Always assumed as the stones themselves were EH that NT members would have to pay the same as everyone else. TBH though you probably dont have to go onto the EH bit to enjoy the stones anyway. I should think you get just as good a view of them from the surrounding NT land, probably better since you cant walk around the stones and touch them anyway!

With the A303 still in place the stones are probably overrated to visit anyway. If/When its removed they might just be worth a visit. With a NT members card of course!
My latest Road Photos https://flic.kr/s/aHsktQHcMB
Jam35

Post by Jam35 »

Richardf wrote:I would say that the A344 is an ex A road now, on purely practical grounds. You cant use it like you would any other 'A' road.
A40 Oxford Street?
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

Jam35 wrote:
Richardf wrote:I would say that the A344 is an ex A road now, on purely practical grounds. You cant use it like you would any other 'A' road.
A40 Oxford Street?
A6 Market Street, Manchester.
Brock
Banned

Post by Brock »

Richardf wrote: In theory at least this means the a344 number is now free for reuse. Any suggestions as to what it could be used for?
If the A303 gets diverted along the A358 between Horton Cross and the M5, the section of A303 west of Horton Cross will presumably need a new number.