Grantham southern link road

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

wrinkly

Re: Grantham southern link road

Post by wrinkly »

In my previous post, last but one on the previous page, I gave a wrong link.

The article I intended to link was this recent one from the Grantham Journal:

http://www.granthamjournal.co.uk/news/b ... -1-7421468

The quote I gave was correctly from this article, but the link I posted had the wrong address, and was to an old BBC article which has been linked previously in this thread.
Fenlander

Post by Fenlander »

A tweet with an interesting picture today, phase 1 on its own is a road (and 2 roundabouts) to nowhere.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CljU5JuWEAEy-BT.jpg
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

That almost looks like a start on topsoil removal on the next phase to the east, but it's probably coincidence.
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

Great aerial shot there... I think that when I was up there there was some activity over towards the railway line, so it might be just some scarring from survey access?
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

Looking again, the outline of the land that will be required for the A1 interchange also seems visible - maybe hasn't had fertiliser on it this season, or something.
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

I see the current stage of works was completed in early August:

http://www.granthamjournal.co.uk/news/b ... -1-7510189

. A contractor for the A1 junction will be announced "shortly" and work should start by the end of the year. The roundabout sign for the A1 junction is already in place!
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

Press release on the new A1 junction:

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/5-mi ... 1-junction

Also (unrelated except that it's in the same press release), a mysterious reference to M60 J8.

Edit: that's a typo, it should be M62 J8, as this other press release shows:

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/gove ... -and-homes
TheKeymeister

Post by TheKeymeister »

wrinkly wrote:That almost looks like a start on topsoil removal on the next phase to the east, but it's probably coincidence.
I read on a page somewhere (possibly the project page?) that the phase 1 contract was extended slightly to include some excavation that was due to be part of phase 2, to save on importing material for phase 1, and having to dispose excess material in phase 2....why that opportunity wasn't noticed before works started is anyone's guess.
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

Cones and signs (currently turned) are ready for imposing a 50mph temporary limit to allow presumably for the junction to be constructed were out from Monday of this week.
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
Berk

Post by Berk »

Ah well, let's hope they can crack on with this. This is actually the most important bit, I guess, because it links up the A1 with Tollemache Road.

It's so new, it still wasn't in any maps. I'll have to have a look, see if Google and OS have updated. Would've been useful if it'd been ready about 6 or 7 years ago or so. Might've used it back then.
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

Berk wrote:Ah well, let's hope they can crack on with this. This is actually the most important bit, I guess, because it links up the A1 with Tollemache Road.

It's so new, it still wasn't in any maps. I'll have to have a look, see if Google and OS have updated. Would've been useful if it'd been ready about 6 or 7 years ago or so. Might've used it back then.
I'm less convinced - the gradient of the A1 here is fairly steep with a strange crest on an embankment, with a cutting and fairly closely spaced junctions. There are existing unsuitable roads which are heavily used, such as Whalebone lane and Wyville Lane/Gorse Road.

Unless the A1 is widened to three lanes between this new junction and the existing A52 junction, and local accesses and potentially the Little Ponton junction closed, it doesn't add up, other than to open up the redevelopment of the industrial areas.
vlad

Post by vlad »

I wondered what was going on with this. I drove that section of A1 last week and didn't see any signs of a new road at all.
"If you expect nothing from somebody you are never disappointed." - Sylvia Plath
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

c2R wrote:Cones and signs (currently turned) are ready for imposing a 50mph temporary limit to allow presumably for the junction to be constructed were out from Monday of this week.
Maybe that was just for advance tree cutting works. Today there were stumps visible on the side slopes but no hint of any signs or cones.
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

wrinkly wrote:
c2R wrote:Cones and signs (currently turned) are ready for imposing a 50mph temporary limit to allow presumably for the junction to be constructed were out from Monday of this week.
Maybe that was just for advance tree cutting works. Today there were stumps visible on the side slopes but no hint of any signs or cones.

Yes, I'd noticed that too - the trees on the northbound side had been cut on Thursday when I was travelling south last, but there is no sign of any other progress....
ukconfederate

Post by ukconfederate »

For the first time in probably a couple of years I had ride along the A52 past the PWOG Barracks into Grantham on Saturday, I was expecting to see roadworks and construction of the new southern bypass but nothing appears to have happened on this section yet.
I do remember seeing quite a while back on a local FB page claiming the bypass would be completed by 2019, if it was true then personally I can't see this date being made.

Does anyone know if or when this section will be constructed?
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

ukconfederate wrote:I do remember seeing quite a while back on a local FB page claiming the bypass would be completed by 2019, if it was true then personally I can't see this date being made.

Does anyone know if or when this section will be constructed?
What's FB?

The tree clearance on the A1 is all that's happened yet as far as I know.

Edit: this page from 30 June says start early next year.

https://www.lincolnshire.gov.uk/news/ph ... 56.article
Berk

Post by Berk »

That'll be Facebook. I think the entire project must be funded by 106 money. I don't think a major road project would take quite that long these days unless it was funded that way.

Well, I was almost right...
The relief road will cost in the region of £81 million with £33m coming from grant funding, including a Local Transport Board grant of £11.9m; a Single Local Growth Fund grant of £16.1m; and a Highways England Growth and Housing Fund grant of £5m.

The balance of funding is due to be obtained through LCC Capital Funding and developer contributions.
Berk

Post by Berk »

I should point out that the bypass won't be complete until phase 3 is built (link to the A52(E)).

It's little more than a link road to an industrial estate until then.
ukconfederate

Post by ukconfederate »

wrinkly wrote: What's FB?
As Berk has said, it stands for FaceBook, sorry, I now realise I shouldn't have used shorthand for non-road related abbreviations.
Berk wrote:That'll be Facebook. I think the entire project must be funded by 106 money. I don't think a major road project would take quite that long these days unless it was funded that way.
I too agree that it sounds like it's being funded by 106 money (the Bourne south west bypass was built by the Elsea Park developers).
So, it would appear from all the information, it's going to be many years yet before this is completed, looks like well into the 2020's now.
TheKeymeister

Post by TheKeymeister »

I'd have thought north facing slips would have sufficed here, with the B1174 being upgraded if required for traffic to/from the south. I suppose being as it's developer funded, having a dumbbell junction and not upgrading anything must work out cheaper, but won't do the A1 any good.