Grantham southern link road

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

delinquentwoody

Re: Grantham southern link road

Post by delinquentwoody »

Just thought I'd mention one of the commercial developments (which has been given the green light) which is the reason for the commercial funding of this new junction, is the construction of a major 'designer outlet shopping village' featuring over 100 shops and anticipating several million visitors every year, with the access from this new junction. One of the objectors to this retail project was from a nearby retailer off the A1 north of Grantham, who have also since had plans approved for a 2nd outlet village featuring nearly 100 shops. So there are two developers both planning to build major shopping centres within ten miles of each other.. will be interesting to see what happens.
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

Yes, I'd noticed that statement on the project signs... I'm looking forward to the effect that that has on strategic traffic on the A1...
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
SteveA30

Post by SteveA30 »

200 new shops when street shopping is in decline? Also, how far from the A1 are the accesses? They need to provide queuing space away from the junction, so the A1 is unaffected. Good thing its an HE road, or you just know a rbt would be shoved in by the LA.
Roads and holidays in the west, before motorways.
http://trektothewest.shutterfly.com
http://holidayroads.webs.com/
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

SteveA30 wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 09:57 200 new shops when street shopping is in decline? Also, how far from the A1 are the accesses? They need to provide queuing space away from the junction, so the A1 is unaffected. Good thing its an HE road, or you just know a rbt would be shoved in by the LA.
It's going to be bad...

We've got a new junction on the A1 being built as a dumbbell.

It will serve:
* A southern bypass for Grantham, aimed to take traffic away from the town centre.
* A large number of new houses, that the southern bypass will open up land for.
* The existing commercial and distribution units around the old A1 here
* A new logistics park
* A commercial outlet store with 100+ shops to the east of the A1

Here's a map: https://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/maps/ind ... 16&layer=0

The outlet centre will be sandwiched between the area marked for logistics development, and the A1 itself - here's a map: https://granthamoutlet.co.uk/plans/

I'm sure that planning applications will be coming for development off the west side of the junction too...
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
danfw194

Post by danfw194 »

If not already, I'm guessing they will put double yellow lines on Tollemache Road North once this scheme is completed.....? On Google Street View from May 2017, cars are parked along it.
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

danfw194 wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:32 If not already, I'm guessing they will put double yellow lines on Tollemache Road North once this scheme is completed.....? On Google Street View from May 2017, cars are parked along it.
I'd presume that it would all be a clearway....
Berk

Post by Berk »

c2R wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 13:10
danfw194 wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:32 If not already, I'm guessing they will put double yellow lines on Tollemache Road North once this scheme is completed.....? On Google Street View from May 2017, cars are parked along it.
This is Lincolnshire you’re talking about. You would be very lucky to have such a thing (outside Lincoln, anyway).
Fenlander

Post by Fenlander »

Berk wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 18:33
c2R wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 13:10
This is Lincolnshire you’re talking about. You would be very lucky to have such a thing (outside Lincoln, anyway).
I must be lucky then, there's 17 miles of it from here to Boston on the A16.
Norfolktolancashire

Post by Norfolktolancashire »

c2R wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:22
SteveA30 wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 09:57 200 new shops when street shopping is in decline? Also, how far from the A1 are the accesses? They need to provide queuing space away from the junction, so the A1 is unaffected. Good thing its an HE road, or you just know a rbt would be shoved in by the LA.
It's going to be bad...

We've got a new junction on the A1 being built as a dumbbell.

It will serve:
* A southern bypass for Grantham, aimed to take traffic away from the town centre.
* A large number of new houses, that the southern bypass will open up land for.
* The existing commercial and distribution units around the old A1 here
* A new logistics park
* A commercial outlet store with 100+ shops to the east of the A1

Here's a map: https://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/maps/ind ... 16&layer=0

The outlet centre will be sandwiched between the area marked for logistics development, and the A1 itself - here's a map: https://granthamoutlet.co.uk/plans/

I'm sure that planning applications will be coming for development off the west side of the junction too...
Visit Cheshire Oaks shopping centre on a weekend and see how it affects the nearby M53 to see what will happen to the A1.
darkcape

Post by darkcape »

Quick update, bridge beams are being installed next week for the first half of the A52 bridge under the A1.
Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
jervi

Post by jervi »

darkcape wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 17:31 Quick update, bridge beams are being installed next week for the first half of the A52 bridge under the A1.
Im driving past it 5 days time. I'll try and see if I can get some photos of its current stage of construction
roadtester

Post by roadtester »

I was driving south on the A1 this morning, and work seems to be well advanced with that bit of the project. The A1 is currently taking a swerve to the east, presumably on a temporary line that accommodates the works. Presumably when it is all finished we will be left with a short section of throughly renewed/improved, if not particularly upgraded, A1 as well.
Electrophorus Electricus

Check out #davidsdailycar on Mastodon
darkcape

Post by darkcape »

Traffic is expected to be switched to the new bridge in October I believe.
Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

Here's a view of the A1 junction works

jervi

Post by jervi »

LCC have put forward their TRO for the piece of relief road between the A1 and B1174.
https://www.lincolnshire.gov.uk/downloa ... elief-road

Surely this TRO is incorrect as it is derestricting the lit areas to be 60 mph. However surely the slip roads to the A1 surely would be 70mph, likewise the short piece of dual carriageway between the A1 junction's Eastern roundabout and the central roundabout?
Big Nick

Post by Big Nick »

Technically or legally you may have a good point. Practically though, who is going to enforce speed limits on those short bits of road?

If those slip roads are the same length as the worryingly short slips at Colsterworth I wouldn't want to be doing more than 60mph into those and you'd be risking it at 70mph when trying to merge out of there.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

I'm guessing the A52 won't be re-routed?
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
jervi

Post by jervi »

Bryn666 wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 18:44 I'm guessing the A52 won't be re-routed?
Not until all phases are completed. Once Phase 3 is completed in Q4 2023 the A52 will be re-routed. Although I'm not sure what classification the old route will be, I'd presume an extension of the B1176, but the A607 through the centre part. It is currently proposed to introduce a weight limit through the centre as well a limiting traffic along the High Street (B1174) as part of an active travel measure.
jervi

Post by jervi »

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/ ... sthrough=1
Proposed renumbering of roads when the Grantham Southern Relief Road Opens.
Old A52 will become B1536, except the parts which current multiplex with the A607 & B1174, which will become the A607 & B1174 respectively. The A607 spur (Springfield Road) will also be downgraded to a C class road.

Its not quite how I would of numbered them. Personally I'd classify the current A52 between High Dyke & B1174 as an extension of the B1176, and then used the new number (B1536) only for the section between the A1 & A607. And then make the B1174 follow the old route of the A52 (following Wharf Road), and then downgrade the B1174 along Watergate, High Street & St.Peters Hill as it is planned to close it to through traffic in one direction shortly as an active travel measure.
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

Junction with the A1 is looking more like a junction now, blacktop has gone down on the slip roads.