Grantham southern link road

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

wrinkly

Re: Grantham southern link road

Post by wrinkly »

Have 2 lanes been maintained in each direction on the A1 during construction of the bridge?
jervi

Post by jervi »

wrinkly wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 13:10 Have 2 lanes been maintained in each direction on the A1 during construction of the bridge?
Yes, under narrow lanes and a 50mph speed limit. With some night time closures, as would be expected.
Although as standard for Lincolnshire, the TRO for the reduced speed limit was not renewed resulting in 20,000 fines being voided as a result. https://www.nottinghampost.com/news/2m- ... ar-5930305 This happened a few years ago with a 40mph temp limit elsewhere in Lincolnshire, but can't find the articles on it now.
Plus my post a few posts up about how the proposed TRO for the junction illustrates how incorrect the TROs are, again I'd imagine being unenforceable.
Fenlander

Post by Fenlander »

A151 between Twenty & Guthram sprouted a temporary 40 limit for a while before they got round to fixing the road surface. I was told 2 different versions of the story by 2 different police officers, one said there never was a limit to back the signs, the other said there was but as a temporary limit it ended before the work was ever done. Wierdly they only fixed half the road but removed the 40 limit and went back to NSL for the whole stretch.
A1OZZ

Post by A1OZZ »

Lighting columns have gone in, they are not scrimping on them. A once dark spot is going to be lit up like a Christmas tree!!
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

The speed limit is gone southbound now, and the junction looks complete, but coned off.
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
ravenbluemoon
Committee Member

Post by ravenbluemoon »

c2R wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 20:16 The speed limit is gone southbound now, and the junction looks complete, but coned off.
So does that mean the mainline is back on the mainline again? I was going to say that it felt like a quick job, but it's mainly because my monthly trips through there have become yearly what with Covid and all that.
Tony Alice (they,them)
~~~~~
Owner of a classic rust heap/money pit, and other unremarkable older vehicles.
Usually found with a head in an old map or road atlas.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Ask me if you want to get involved!

c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

ravenbluemoon wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 18:06
c2R wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 20:16 The speed limit is gone southbound now, and the junction looks complete, but coned off.
So does that mean the mainline is back on the mainline again? I was going to say that it felt like a quick job, but it's mainly because my monthly trips through there have become yearly what with Covid and all that.
Yes, it is. All the blacktop down, lights up, white lines there, speed limit gone...
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
ravenbluemoon
Committee Member

Post by ravenbluemoon »

Nice. That'll make the run down to StanShed Airport on Christmas Eve roadworks free for the first time in quite a few years.

*I've probably jinxed myself now, I bet there'll be a full closure of the M11 or something now. :lol:
Tony Alice (they,them)
~~~~~
Owner of a classic rust heap/money pit, and other unremarkable older vehicles.
Usually found with a head in an old map or road atlas.

Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Ask me if you want to get involved!

Big Nick

Post by Big Nick »

ravenbluemoon wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 18:38 Nice. That'll make the run down to StanShed Airport on Christmas Eve roadworks free for the first time in quite a few years.

*I've probably jinxed myself now, I bet there'll be a full closure of the M11 or something now. :lol:
Oh, thank you very much. I'm heading north that day and now it's bound to be a nightmare. :ipunch:
jervi

Post by jervi »

Some drone shots of the new A1 junction & progress along the A52 GSRR
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

Thanks for the video, jervi, very informative.

I'd been wondering about the traffic management on the A1 during construction of the bridge. The first few seconds of the video answer the question, expanding on your reply near the top of the page. The slip road tapers make the bridge wide enough to have been built in two halves, with four narrow lanes on each half.
jervi

Post by jervi »

wrinkly wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 23:56 Thanks for the video, jervi, very informative.

I'd been wondering about the traffic management on the A1 during construction of the bridge. The first few seconds of the video answer the question, expanding on your reply near the top of the page. The slip road tapers make the bridge wide enough to have been built in two halves, with four narrow lanes on each half.
https://www.lincolnshire.gov.uk/news/ar ... s-underway
This update article from last summer shows the TM arrangement during the underpass construction, which as you suggest uses the extra width for the slip roads to have the 4 lanes on one carriageway.
darkcape

Post by darkcape »

The southbound carriageway was widened with embankment built out. Then 4 narrow lanes put onto the widened embankment, at the peak of the "curve" the 4 new temporary lanes were fully on new construction and whole old carriageways were part of the works area. Western half of the bridge built, traffic switched to Western half (with very slight overbuild of northbound slips to accommodate the alignment), and Eastern half of bridge constructed. There was an existing farm underpass south of the new bridge, and Gorse Lane overbridge to the north, which meant both temporary alignments were very tight.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
jervi

Post by jervi »

https://www.lincolnshire.gov.uk/news/ar ... ad-project

Looks like they are having some issues with the bridge design, so will need to be redesigned. This will push back the opening date of the road, likely quite significantly.

The new A1 junction, and the new section of road to the B1174 should however be open by the end of the year.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

WSP cocking up? Never...
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
jackal

Post by jackal »

Maybe working from home isn't so good for geotechnical investigations...
darkcape

Post by darkcape »

jackal wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 12:59 Maybe working from home isn't so good for geotechnical investigations...
Come on, the ground investigation was done pre-covid.

On the other hand, one scheme I worked on in 2013 didn't bother with a GI but instead used previous surveys from 1992. Unsurprisingly it was all completely wrong, including m8ssong the HP gas main laid on 2001.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
jervi

Post by jervi »

https://www.lincolnshire.gov.uk/news/ar ... ad-project
They did the redesign pretty quickly, not even 4 months!

The A1 junction along with the link to B1174 is now due to be open "This winter", phrasing changed from "End of the year".
The new section of the A52 between Somerby Hill Roundabout & the middle roundabout is due to open "next spring", this will allow access to Whalebone Lane again, which was closed few months ago.
danfw194

Post by danfw194 »

Forgive my laziness as I am sure the information is available somewhere, but do we know what the roundabout east of the River Witham is going to serve? Anything specific, or just plonked there to future proof for an inevitable new housing estate?
A303Chris
Elected Committee Member

Post by A303Chris »

danfw194 wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 10:12 Forgive my laziness as I am sure the information is available somewhere, but do we know what the roundabout east of the River Witham is going to serve? Anything specific, or just plonked there to future proof for an inevitable new housing estate?

While there is nothing on the Lincolnshire CC scheme page, the South Kesteven Local Plan shows a large housing allocation site for 3,700 dwellings, the Spitalgate Heath, Garden Village to the north of the new road access from the roundabout. In addition the former Prince of William Gloucester Barracks has an allocation of 3,500 to 4,000 dwellings at the east end of the road. Not surprising that Homes England provided £5 million for the road. Around the A1 the land is allocated for a strategic employment area for B1 (Offices), B2 (General Industry) and B8 (Storage and Distribution)

So the road is to facilitate development and not to act as a bypass.
Attachments
South Kesteven Local Plan
South Kesteven Local Plan
The M25 - The road to nowhere