Grantham southern link road

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Berk

Re: Grantham southern link road

Post by Berk »

But at least there’ll be a possibility of avoiding Grantham centre now - rather than trudging through on the A52/A607.
Fenlander

Post by Fenlander »

Saw a bit on twitter this week (can't find it now) with the LCC roads guy insisting objections against the road won't stop it happening. Network Rail, a land banker and a local business were some of the names mentioned who could force the scheme to an enquiry if their objections can't be dealt with. Either way it will mean more delay and no doubt more cost.
Berk

Post by Berk »

I think the law should be changed so that if objectors force an enquiry, but their claims are not founded, or upheld, the amount of compensation offered should be reduced to reflect the additional costs and inconvenience of having to hold an enquiry.
Johnathan404

Post by Johnathan404 »

Berk wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 16:27 I think the law should be changed so that if objectors force an enquiry, but their claims are not founded, or upheld, the amount of compensation offered should be reduced to reflect the additional costs and inconvenience of having to hold an enquiry.
Note that this would work both ways: people who object to speed limit cuts because of a personal grudge should be fined.

Personally I hate it when, for example, Sainsbury's object to a new Tesco because it will cause an increase in CO2. People should be encouraged to step forward with legitimate objections, but anyone making up legitimate objections to justify personal greed, grudge or NIMBYism should be fined.
I have websites about: motorway services | Fareham
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

Berk

Post by Berk »

Hopefully it’ll be rubber-stamped after the inquiry, about 6 months time. :thumbsup:
Euan

Post by Euan »

The new roundabout on the B1174 has been complete for over two years now. Hopefully it will soon have a new road passing through it well as the roundabout stump that was built during the same time.
E-roads, M-roads, A-roads, N-roads, B-roads, R-roads, C-roads, L-roads, U-roads, footpaths
Berk

Post by Berk »

Have the A1 tie-in works been done yet?? It won’t really work until they have been.
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

Berk wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 18:22 Have the A1 tie-in works been done yet?? It won’t really work until they have been.
The A1 junction is part of what will be before the inquiry. The other part is the proposed eastern link to the A52.
Fenlander

Post by Fenlander »

Is it just me that thinks it’s totally bonkers that a bypass is proposed in 3 distinct parts with no guarantee that all 3 will go ahead and the least useful bumit is built first?
Berk

Post by Berk »

I think it can be summed up as ‘building the road on the cheap’. Or more specifically, building the road as cheaply as possible. The council only committed itself to building phase 1 - which was completed 2 years ago.

The other two phases are development-dependent. But that being said, it is going to act as a development road, in a fast growing area. It’s not like there’s any shortage of house, or industrial units going to be built in the area. The only question is, will it still be able to function effectively as a southern bypass?? That remains to be seen.

Anyway, I don’t believe we would be progressing to the inquiry stage if the council wasn’t confident of the project going ahead in the near future. The risk has been transferred to the developers, but the council has to obtain construction and compulsory purchase powers, hence the inquiry.
mikehindsonevans

Post by mikehindsonevans »

Fenlander wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 22:25 Is it just me that thinks it’s totally bonkers that a bypass is proposed in 3 distinct parts with no guarantee that all 3 will go ahead and the least useful bumit is built first?
Hey "Fenlander", don't knock it - this "approach" worked for the A555 - albeit over a 25-year period!
Mike Hindson-Evans.
Never argue with a conspiracy theorist.
They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Euan

Post by Euan »

Fenlander wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 22:25 Is it just me that thinks it’s totally bonkers that a bypass is proposed in 3 distinct parts with no guarantee that all 3 will go ahead and the least useful bumit is built first?
It's probably better for a relatively short proposed road like this one to be dealt with in a single phase. As for the least useful part being built first, well it's unlikely that the rest of the road would be any use without the roundabout. There is the argument for separate phases in other road projects though, especially if it is dealing with improving a very long stretch of road or proposing a very long new road which would be too overwhelming to tackle in one piece.
E-roads, M-roads, A-roads, N-roads, B-roads, R-roads, C-roads, L-roads, U-roads, footpaths
Berk

Post by Berk »

I repeat, the main reason for lack of progress is due to lack of money. I guess not completing Phase 1 in 2016 would not have hurt the project; in fact when I drove over it, I remember thinking “is that all??”.

But all the background legal and design stuff doesn’t come for free, and I imagine that’s eaten most of the budget so far (plus the lack stages were about to go through).

So that’s where the council’s limited contribution has taken us. Developers will have to pay the rest.
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

Statutory Instrument published today for the new junction on the A1

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2019 ... tents/made
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
TheKeymeister

Post by TheKeymeister »

I think I'd have gone for phase 3 first, considering it involves a river and railway crossing, so takes a while to get off the ground, and would actually still be a benefit if it turned out to be all that got built.

I'm still not convinced the new A1 junction is really needed. It's incredibly low quality looking at the drawing in the SI above, and the junction at Great Ponton should more than suffice really. At a push widen the B1174 to modern S2 standards (ie hard strips and hatchings down the middle and possibly the occasional layby) and jobs a good un.

If the point is to build a new route for the A52 east of the A1 then build the junction as north facing slips only in addition to the above rather than that crap looking dumbbell with incredibly tight slips.
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

The problem with the Ponton junction is that it doesn't have north facing slips, and is simply in the wrong place for a southern bypass. Hopefully one day the A1 will be improved off-line to the west here, allowing it to tie better.

The real problem with all of this is, I think the southbound A1 between the current A52 junction and the new junction. This is a steep incline and adding more traffic to it is really unhelpful - made worse if the land to the west of the A1 is opened up for services or additional retail sheds.

Ideally, this should have been a bigger junction with additional southbound crawler lane, and parallel access to the west through the sheds for local traffic, coupled with eventual closure of the Ponton junction with realigned A1 and local access road along to Colsterworth, removing any A1 intermediate junction.

I can dream.
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

Work is progressing at a fair pace on this. There has been a temporary speed limit in place on the A1 since before Christmas, and now there's a sort of contraflow to allow work on the northbound side to progress.
darkcape

Post by darkcape »

c2R wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 20:28 Work is progressing at a fair pace on this. There has been a temporary speed limit in place on the A1 since before Christmas, and now there's a sort of contraflow to allow work on the northbound side to progress.
This is to allow the first half of the underbridge to be constructed, the A1 has been widened over 500m to divert the 4 lanes around this, part of which will become the new SB offslip.
Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
Berk

Post by Berk »

Is Lincolnshire designing the bridge, or HE?? I don’t seem to recall any mention on the project web page that the A1 needed widening.