Grantham southern link road

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

wrinkly

Re: Grantham southern link road

Post by wrinkly »

To be honest I would have thought north-facing slips would suffice even without upgrading the B1174.
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

A stretch of the southbound A1 including the whole site of the future junction has recently been resurfaced. The new road markings look beautiful but will presumably soon be messed up by narrow lanes etc when construction of the junction starts.
Berk

Post by Berk »

wrinkly wrote:A stretch of the southbound A1 including the whole site of the future junction has recently been resurfaced. The new road markings look beautiful but will presumably soon be messed up by narrow lanes etc when construction of the junction starts.
I thought that was poor timing. I know they’re currently resurfacing/relining the Rutland stretch of the A1 for the rest of the year (started about a month ago), but you’d think common sense would’ve made them leave this section until the junction works are finished. Only about another 4 months time.
ravenbluemoon
Committee Member

Post by ravenbluemoon »

Is this project something to do with the temporary 40 limit I encountered along there the other night? That was a pain of a drive down to Stansted - A1 was closed southbound for the aforementioned resurfacing at Newark, Grantham and Peterborough, followed by a closure on the A14 at St. Ives!
Tony Alice (they,them)
~~~~~
Owner of a classic rust heap/money pit, and other unremarkable older vehicles.
Usually found with a head in an old map or road atlas.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Ask me if you want to get involved!

wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

The 40 limit is for the resurfacing, I think. I don't know what further streches are to be done.
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

So this weeks there have been a lot of earth movers in the field on the west of the A1 here... I think construction may be about to commence...
. Although I've been wrong twice before, once foe the resurfacing and again for the barrier replacement!
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

c2r's post prompted me to do a search which found this:

https://www.lincolnshire.gov.uk/news/ph ... 02.article
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
jackal

Post by jackal »

I think this is the first pointless folded dumbbell I've seen. Slightly aggravating given the slips are basically in the right place for a trumpet loop, but have a roundabout in the way.

http://uk.sitestat.com/lincolnshire/lin ... oad/103407
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

Given the existing fork junction to the south, you could say that the south-facing slips are unnecessary, unless the road is to be extended westwards some time.
Osthagen

Post by Osthagen »

wrinkly wrote:Given the existing fork junction to the south, you could say that the south-facing slips are unnecessary, unless the road is to be extended westwards some time.
I should think that the south-facing slips are there in case such an extension is required.
"I see the face of a child. He lives in a great city. He is black. Or he is white. He is Mexican, Italian, Polish. None of that matters. What matters, he's an American child"
- Richard Nixon
Fenlander

Post by Fenlander »

I really don't like the 5 leg roundabout at the south east end, as shown it's barely bigger than the current 4 arm one and that's small as it is. As much as I don't want to add yet another roundabout to the road how about taking the new road down Whalebone Lane instead and replacing the t-junction there with a 3 legged roundabout? The barracks a little further along are likely to be closed soon anyway so that 3 leg could add a 4th to feed the inevitable development of the MOD land next to the A52.
Or cut the corner of the MOD land and add 2 roundabouts forming a triangle of 3 that could spread the joins a bit better.
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

wrinkly wrote:Given the existing fork junction to the south, you could say that the south-facing slips are unnecessary, unless the road is to be extended westwards some time.
I’d be astounded if the land west of the A1 isn’t opened up for development and exits added to that roundabout within the next decade. If they didn’t build it as part of the junction they’d only have to add it later.
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

Yep, it has developer funded written all over it. Just look at the intermediate roundabouts with roads going to nowhere. The roundabouts at the new A1 junction clearly leave provision for additional access roads to new developments. I would go as far to say the south facing slips are not so much duplicates of the nearly fork junction but are provided to cater for the increase in traffic using the new developments which the fork junction alone wouldn't absorb.
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
SouthWest Philip

Post by SouthWest Philip »

It wouldn't be a stretch of the imagination to contemplate a re-routed A607 plugging into the western roundabout.
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

SouthWest Philip wrote:It wouldn't be a stretch of the imagination to contemplate a re-routed A607 plugging into the western roundabout.
I can't say I'm keen on the junction at all. It is too close to those surrounding it on a section with poor alignment and sightlines. The cost of linking in the a607 would probably be high because of the landscape
Berk

Post by Berk »

Truvelo wrote:Yep, it has developer funded written all over it. Just look at the intermediate roundabouts with roads going to nowhere. The roundabouts at the new A1 junction clearly leave provision for additional access roads to new developments. I would go as far to say the south facing slips are not so much duplicates of the nearly fork junction but are provided to cater for the increase in traffic using the new developments which the fork junction alone wouldn't absorb.
And yet the county are promoting it as one of their schemes...
Norfolktolancashire

Post by Norfolktolancashire »

Truvelo wrote:Yep, it has developer funded written all over it. Just look at the intermediate roundabouts with roads going to nowhere. The roundabouts at the new A1 junction clearly leave provision for additional access roads to new developments. I would go as far to say the south facing slips are not so much duplicates of the nearly fork junction but are provided to cater for the increase in traffic using the new developments which the fork junction alone wouldn't absorb.
It won't be long before all the usual suspects are being planned along this route, Travelodge, KFC, Tesco, Subway, B and M's....all attracting traffic to quickly saturate the new road!
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Given roads like this only get funding if they 'generate jobs', that means they are simply built to enable tin sheds along them.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck