New M11 junction 7a for Harlow?

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Jim606

Re: New M11 junction 7a for Harlow?

Post by Jim606 »

IIRC isn't this stretch of the M11 the longest continuous section of motorway in the UK between junctions (in this case J7 & J8)? I am not sure of the exact distance, but would a new J7a effect this record? If it is indeed a record?
Stevie D

Post by Stevie D »

Jim606 wrote:IIRC isn't this stretch of the M11 the longest continuous section of motorway in the UK between junctions (in this case J7 & J8)? I am not sure of the exact distance, but would a new J7a effect this record? If it is indeed a record?
Nowhere near, I'm afraid. It's only 9 miles between J7 and J8 ... you may be thinking of the next section to the north, it is 14 miles between J8 and J9, and that I believe is the longest section – there are a few at 13 but nothing else to beat or equal it.

Southbound it's also one of the longest sections between exits from J10 to J8, although it is beaten by eastbound M26/M25 from Wrotham to Godstone.
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

Stevie D wrote:Southbound it's also one of the longest sections between exits from J10 to J8, although it is beaten by eastbound M26/M25 from Wrotham to Godstone.
Westbound, I think.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
Stevie D

Post by Stevie D »

Chris Bertram wrote:
Stevie D wrote:Southbound it's also one of the longest sections between exits from J10 to J8, although it is beaten by eastbound M26/M25 from Wrotham to Godstone.
Westbound, I think.
D'oh, yes, eastbound from Wrotham to Godstone would be a very long way!
MayzieY

Post by MayzieY »

Decision on preferred route status of the new junction taken by ECC Cabinet on 13th Dec, next stage will be planning application early in 2017.
M4Simon

Post by M4Simon »

Stevie D wrote:
WHBM wrote:This is one of those things that is a downside of the present county-based road planning for everything apart from the few HA routes. The logical route from the HQDC A414, which currently finishes in the middle of nowhere, to the M11, is along the north side of the River Stort, bypassing going through Harlow and giving a number of useful links. But the north bank of the river is in Hertfordshire, whereas the principal benefit is to Harlow, just over the river in Essex. And so nothing logical even gets thought about.
Not sure I agree with that ... surely the main beneficiaries from a link road joining A414 to M11 north of Harlow would be people in Sawbridgeworth, Hertford, Ware and Hoddesdon having better access to M11 both north and south, particularly onto the M25 towards Thurrock and Dartford. Whereas the benefit for people in Harlow is going to be limited to those heading north on the M11, which as I said is going to be a relatively small proportion.

I don't think that the county line is the main reason for that road not going ahead ... the vast cost is what's holding it back.
Back in the day, the A414/M11 link was always described as a road largely in Essex built for the benefit of Hertfordshire.

The main reason it was not built was because of the environmental impact on the Stort valley and that there is little east-west traffic passing through Harlow. Traffic from the Lea valley to Chelmsford would probably use the M25. Lea Valley to Stansted would use the A10/M11.

Simon
Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!

Please contact me if you want to know more
si404

Post by si404 »

The announcement earlier this week of a new Garden Town north of Harlow will surely help get this scheme to happen.
"“Peace, commerce and honest friendship with all nations" Thomas Jefferson
millionmiledriver

Post by millionmiledriver »

A pretty essential junction IMHO J8 is north of Bishops Stortford and J7 south of Harlow .In fact the whole M11 is remarkably badly planned when it was built Stansted airport was on the cards .At Loughton no north bound access or southbound exit .At the bottom south of here the road narrows to 2 lanes an inevitable bottleneck at peak times At the M25 intersection the road goes down to 2 lanes causing yet another northbound jam at peak times .And north of J8 it is just 2 lanes .And as for J8 a badly designed junction made now dangerous by completely worn lane markings
jackal

Post by jackal »

The consultation in the summer seemed to go relatively unnoticed, but the proposal is quite weird:

https://app.citizenspace.com/essexcc/m11junction7a/

As mentioned above, the proposal was approved in Dec, though the forthcoming planning application may feature some changes.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

The original proposal had a loop instead of a roundabout at the north end.

It's future proofed for the future northern bypass.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
jackal

Post by jackal »

Anyone got a link to (or saved a copy of) the earlier proposal with the loop? Links to plans on p. 1 all seem to be dead.

The Wiki entry does at least suggest that it's future proofed for a second dumbbell.

EDIT - nevermind, found details including the old plan in the TAR (on consultation page)
Robin

Post by Robin »

millionmiledriver wrote:In fact the whole M11 is remarkably badly planned when it was built Stansted airport was on the cards. At Loughton no north bound access or southbound exit.
The Loughton arrangement was designed that way because The Bank Of England's money printing premises is in Langston Road, Debden.
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

Robin wrote:
millionmiledriver wrote:In fact the whole M11 is remarkably badly planned when it was built Stansted airport was on the cards. At Loughton no north bound access or southbound exit.
The Loughton arrangement was designed that way because The Bank Of England's money printing premises is in Langston Road, Debden.
Have you evidence of that? We discussed it in a previous thread and concluded that probably wasn't the reason...

http://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/forum/vie ... =1&t=17874
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
trickstat

Post by trickstat »

c2R wrote:
Robin wrote:
Have you evidence of that? We discussed it in a previous thread and concluded that probably wasn't the reason...

http://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/forum/vie ... =1&t=17874
My personal theory for the absence of north-facing slip roads is to prevent large volumes of traffic travelling to or from the east of here and clogging up frankly unsuitable roads (other than a fairly short D2 stretch by Chigwell Row). From places like Chigwell, Hainault, Collier Row and Romford the quickest way to the M11-M25 junction would probably be via this junction rather than using the A12 eastbound and then M25 or westbound and then M11.
millionmiledriver

the local paper in the 1970s told us that the reason for the incomplete junction was to reduce traffic up Rectory Lane .I find it hard to believe that the Bank of England printing works is not very well protected.Of course it has caused far more traffic from Buckhurst Hill Loughton etc going north to have to go through Epping to Junc 7 the same problem through Harlow Sawbridgeworth and Bishops Stortford will be relieved by Junc7a its sorely needed
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

I'm in two minds now really as to whether north facing slips at J5 should be provided... On the one hand, trying to get to Loughton is a total pain from further north in the morning rush hour.... but on the other hand, I'm sure traffic in Loughton itself would surely grind to a halt with lots of traffic exiting the M11 to avoid queueing to charlie brown's.

Perhaps if it were coupled a third lane approaching the Woodford interchange southbound to try and move those queues towards London, or perhaps improvements at the Wake Arms to make the slog up from M26 J26 slightly better access to Loughton might be easier... Although perhaps the residents like it how it is...!
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
jackal

Post by jackal »

I'm of the view that a lot of congestion is caused by the typical motorway junction being full access, concentrating all traffic on that junction and the roads that lead to it.

If I had my way there would be more half diamonds and half dumbbells to disperse traffic across numerous junctions and arterials. For instance, if full access was wanted around J5, they could put north facers at the current J5, and south facers at the B170.
Stevie D

Post by Stevie D »

jackal wrote:I'm of the view that a lot of congestion is caused by the typical motorway junction being full access, concentrating all traffic on that junction and the roads that lead to it.

If I had my way there would be more half diamonds and half dumbbells to disperse traffic across numerous junctions and arterials. For instance, if full access was wanted around J5, they could put north facers at the current J5, and south facers at the B170.
There may be some benefit to doing that in a few locations in urban areas, but for the most part I think it would be a disaster. The roads that connect with motorway junctions are usually the most important and strategic roads within the local area. These are the roads that are most able to cope with the additional traffic. Diverting lots of traffic away from those main roads and onto local B-roads to access the motorway in one direction would put a massive strain on those local roads. It would also make navigation much more complicated, as drivers would need to know which junctions were limited access and in which direction, whereas it's much easier to direct all traffic for the motorway along a single road.
millionmiledriver

For reasons known only to a 1970s official in the Dept of Transport the M11 goes down to 2 lanes south of Junc 5 so n aturally jams build up at peak times often nearly to the M25 this one of the few places where I would advocate hard shoulder running at peak times
crowntown100

Post by crowntown100 »

millionmiledriver wrote:For reasons known only to a 1970s official in the Dept of Transport the M11 goes down to 2 lanes south of Junc 5 so n aturally jams build up at peak times often nearly to the M25 this one of the few places where I would advocate hard shoulder running at peak times
In with the 'sheesh' joke! This should answer your questions! :)
Harry