New M11 junction 7a for Harlow?

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

jackal

Re: New M11 junction 7a for Harlow?

Post by jackal »

Stevie D wrote:
jackal wrote:I'm of the view that a lot of congestion is caused by the typical motorway junction being full access, concentrating all traffic on that junction and the roads that lead to it.

If I had my way there would be more half diamonds and half dumbbells to disperse traffic across numerous junctions and arterials. For instance, if full access was wanted around J5, they could put north facers at the current J5, and south facers at the B170.
There may be some benefit to doing that in a few locations in urban areas, but for the most part I think it would be a disaster. The roads that connect with motorway junctions are usually the most important and strategic roads within the local area. These are the roads that are most able to cope with the additional traffic. Diverting lots of traffic away from those main roads and onto local B-roads to access the motorway in one direction would put a massive strain on those local roads. It would also make navigation much more complicated, as drivers would need to know which junctions were limited access and in which direction, whereas it's much easier to direct all traffic for the motorway along a single road.
Of course the roads that go to motorway junctions are usually the 'most important and strategic roads'... because they are the ones that go to motorways junctions. But often their standard doesn't warrant this concentration of traffic - S2 with property frontages is the norm in urban areas. In such cases it would be better to spread the load on similar standard roads IMO.
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

crowntown100 wrote:
millionmiledriver wrote:For reasons known only to a 1970s official in the Dept of Transport the M11 goes down to 2 lanes south of Junc 5 so n aturally jams build up at peak times often nearly to the M25 this one of the few places where I would advocate hard shoulder running at peak times
In with the 'sheesh' joke! This should answer your questions! :)

M12 indeed.... I'm also not sure that hard shoulder running would be possible in the width of the current structure - it's close, and mybe with narrow lanes, a realgned surface and a new design of barriers maybe.... but maybe not..

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.59976 ... 312!8i6656..
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
jackal

Post by jackal »

J7A was granted planning permission in the summer. Construction is due to start soon with opening anticipated for 2021.

http://www.essexhighways.org/highway-sc ... on-7a.aspx
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

roadphotos

Post by roadphotos »

There's already a construction site on both sides of the M11 north of junction 7 where the new junction is to be built. I'm not sure if this is advanced works or part of the actual new junction construction.
MayzieY

Post by MayzieY »

The works are replacement of the high pressure gas main so not directly J7a-related, though this is required as part of the advanced works for the scheme.
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

Some legislation:
The Highways England Company Limited M11 Harlow North Junction (7A) (Slip Roads, Special Roads) Scheme 2018 Confirmation Instrument 2019
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2019 ... tents/made
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps