A417 Missing Link campaign!

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Euan

Re: A417 Missing Link campaign!

Post by Euan »

fras wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 08:57 What happens to the Air Balloon pub ? We had an evening meal there last summer. Pulled in to have a rest from the traffic jam !
Apparently the Air Balloon pub is to be demolished as part of the A417 scheme:

https://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/n ... ir-2642702

Maybe they will relocate and open the pub somewhere else if they do not want to lose the business completely.
E-roads, M-roads, A-roads, N-roads, B-roads, R-roads, C-roads, L-roads, U-roads, footpaths
Berk

Post by Berk »

Like I said earlier, I thought the pub was a listed building?? I guess they must’ve decided it’s ‘game over’ as far as a business in that location is concerned.

Still, might make someone a nice house. :)
A9NWIL

Post by A9NWIL »

Berk wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 16:51 Like I said earlier, I thought the pub was a listed building?? I guess they must’ve decided it’s ‘game over’ as far as a business in that location is concerned.

I guess if they can keep the building and put the new road through the car park it will be possible to sell the building as a house?
Formerly known as 'lortjw'
roadtester

Post by roadtester »

Is it actually a decent pub?

I must have passed it thousands of times as a former local of sorts, but never went in. I must visit before it's too late.
Electrophorus Electricus

Check out #davidsdailycar on Mastodon
Berk

Post by Berk »

roadtester wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 17:39 Is it actually a decent pub?

I must have passed it thousands of times as a former local of sorts, but never went in. I must visit before it's too late.
I did consider it as a stop off on my way to Wales. But drove on to Monmouth instead, which was nice.
Owain
Elected Committee Member

Post by Owain »

Same here! Perhaps this could form the basis for a SABRE Away Day this summer?
Former President & F99 Driver

Viva la Repubblica!
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

In that case an awayday seems a perfect idea. Like many others, I have also driven past it numerous times without ever going inside. I assume it's going to be a few years before it gets demolished so we're not pushed for time.
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
roadtester

Post by roadtester »

Owain wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 20:04

Brilliant idea!
Electrophorus Electricus

Check out #davidsdailycar on Mastodon
Euan

Post by Euan »

Truvelo wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 20:23 In that case an awayday seems a perfect idea. Like many others, I have also driven past it numerous times without ever going inside. I assume it's going to be a few years before it gets demolished so we're not pushed for time.
It is hoped that the new road will be open to traffic in 2024 - and that's after a potentially lengthy construction period following the demolition of the pub and any other properties on the site. I am no expert in demolition and construction, but I feel that would take about three years all in and so the pub should remain open for a year or two yet. Would others here agree?
E-roads, M-roads, A-roads, N-roads, B-roads, R-roads, C-roads, L-roads, U-roads, footpaths
Berk

Post by Berk »

Perhaps so, once it’s passed through planning, although as an NSIP that shouldn’t be too much of a problem (about another year or so).
Last edited by Berk on Tue Mar 19, 2019 23:39, edited 1 time in total.
Euan

Post by Euan »

Berk wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 23:03 Perhaps so, once it’s passed through planning, although as an NSIP, that shouldn’t be too much of a problem (about another year or so).
Obviously it would be far more realistic for the work to start on time than to finish on time, so any delay to the opening date would be unlikely to be a consequence of extending the working life of the pub. I would think that demolishing the premises would be one of the first bits of work to be done before anything else.
Berk

Post by Berk »

But where will it go to?? The building, I mean.

I can foresee it being taken apart and re-erected on a different site.
Euan

Post by Euan »

Berk wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 23:40 But where will it go to?? The building, I mean.

I can foresee it being taken apart and re-erected on a different site.
Maybe it could be part of a new service area that could be built alongside one of the new junctions, not necessarily a typical motorway-style service area but perhaps something more multi-purpose which would be beneficial for many people whether they are just in for five minutes in the middle of a long drive or if they want to relax and spend a bit more time there in the evenings.
Debaser

Post by Debaser »

Berk wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 16:51 Like I said earlier, I thought the pub was a listed building?? I guess they must’ve decided it’s ‘game over’ as far as a business in that location is concerned.

It looks like the only way it's staying is if there's an M62 style splitting of the eastbound and westbound carriageways to leave a (very) wide central reserve. Since it looks like both carriageways are also in cutting at that point then it would be left in splendid isolation on a sort of promontory in the central reserve. 8-)
fras

Post by fras »

mikehindsonevans

Post by mikehindsonevans »

roadtester wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 20:25
Owain wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 20:04

Brilliant idea!
Yes it is a great pub. We have used it many times over the decades, enjoying good service and great items from simple coffee stop to brilliant pub-grub meals.

This was during our "Pay to get into Wales? Get stuffed!" campaign regarding the Severn Bridges Tax regime(!) which saw us travel from Winchester to Swansea via Gloucester.

So yes to the idea of an Away day. Just allow enough time to arrive through the horrendous traffic congestion!
Mike Hindson-Evans.
Never argue with a conspiracy theorist.
They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
vlad

Post by vlad »

mikehindsonevans wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 07:27 Just allow enough time to arrive through the horrendous traffic congestion!
I've only had to queue to reach the roundabout during rush hour. Do I travel at the wrong time of day or something?
"If you expect nothing from somebody you are never disappointed." - Sylvia Plath
mikehindsonevans

Post by mikehindsonevans »

vlad wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 19:33
mikehindsonevans wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 07:27 Just allow enough time to arrive through the horrendous traffic congestion!
I've only had to queue to reach the roundabout during rush hour. Do I travel at the wrong time of day or something?
"Vlad", timing is everything. We shall be going through there today enroute to the Gloucester Rugby ground. If we have time spare, we shall caffeinate at the Air Balloon.
Mike Hindson-Evans.
Never argue with a conspiracy theorist.
They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Euan

Post by Euan »

vlad wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 19:33
If you travel during the late morning or early to mid afternoon then it could be the "wrong" time of the day to catch all of the congestion and queues.
NICK 647063

Post by NICK 647063 »

It looks like the only way it's staying is if there's an M62 style splitting of the eastbound and westbound carriageways to leave a (very) wide central reserve. Since it looks like both carriageways are also in cutting at that point then it would be left in splendid isolation on a sort of promontory in the central reserve. 8-)
You know how it is the M62 farm would be gone if the 6 carriageways could have been built together, the rumours about the farmer not wanting to move always make me laugh as clearly the ones saying don’t understand it compulsory purchase, although the M62 farm is a landmark now and an air balloon could also be, the idea is nice but looks like it’s going...... on a slightly different note is there any chance this route once completed could get 1 number instead of the A417/A419 as clearly it already acknowledged as one route.