Destination signed via multiple routes

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Re: Destination signed via multiple routes

Post by Big L »

I must have passed this sign hundreds of times in my life, but today is the first time I read it. Stuck behind a tractor waiting for a written invitation before pulling out.

I know the way to Penkridge from here, and it isn't via Coven !
Make poetry history.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
ForestChav
SABRE Developer

Post by ForestChav »

The signage has gone now, but when I was younger, the southern end of the A611 (which starts and ends on the A60 these days) always had a sign saying "Alternative route to Mansfield". Though Hucknall was (and still is) the signed destination from Nottingham, and maybe even now the A60 is quicker, you'd effectively have had Mansfield signed both left and straight ahead.

Of course, that was never the original A611, which originally used the current B682 as far inbound as the ring road, before heading inbound on what is now Radford Road and making a sharp right to the A610 before that reached the Forest. The current A611 - which is a much higher standard road - was initially a continuation of the B683.
C, E flat and G go into a bar. The barman says "sorry, we don't serve minors". So E flat walks off, leaving C and G to share an open fifth between them.

Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
orudge
Site Manager

Post by orudge »

I didn’t get a picture, but the new signage at the A92/A93 junction in Aberdeen basically says:

<— (A90 North & South)
A92

(A90 South) —>
A92

So for A90 South, you can pick either way apparently. (Of course, technically, you can go either way for both.)
A303Chris
Elected Committee Member

Post by A303Chris »

Two for the price of one here.

Maidenhead left, or back from where you have come and Windsor left or straight along, in fact all approaches give you two choices to Windsor and Maidenhead.
The M25 - The road to nowhere
solocle

Post by solocle »

Spotted in passing.
88B1A6CD-F4F4-4435-BCB9-4A0E2E9A8E04.jpeg
4EE815A7-5F43-4DE1-B5DD-326742BF97C5.jpeg