Destination signed via multiple routes

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Was92now625

Re: Destination signed via multiple routes

Post by Was92now625 »

This thread has undergone a 6-year 'bump'. I wonder if any of the examples have changed in the intervening time.

For example (from an earlier time), in the mid seventies, approaching M90, J8, Dundee was signposted straight on and also turn off. Nowadays it is just straight on (probably due to the construction of Friarton Bridge carrying the M85 - sorry, M90)
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

There are, of course, many places where the same destination is signed via different routes, with one having the addition "(avoiding low bridge)" or "(avoiding weight restriction)" or similar.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
solocle

Post by solocle »

Dorchester via the A352/C12.
Google Maps

The A352 may be the A road, the C12 is a hilly route. But the C12 avoids the 30 mph speed limits through villages, and is a bit more direct, although it doesn't connect well with the bypass for onward travel.
the cheesecake man

Post by the cheesecake man »

Chris Bertram wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:03 Actually, per multiraider's post above, what I meant to link to is this. What you get here is a choice of ferries - the lower ferry, from Kingswear to Dartmouth town centre, has a 7.5t limit, and is a tug/pontoon ferry. The higher ferry, slightly to the north, is a cable ferry or "floating bridge"; this has an 18t limit. Anything heavier must go via Totnes. (There's also a foot passenger ferry in between, but that needn't trouble us here).
As you say there's going to be plenty like that due to low or weak bridges etc. Similarly but due to a landslide rather than a bridge here where Castleton is right unless you're delivering light bulbs* in which case it's straight on.

*joke: DO NOT attempt to use Winnats Pass in any form of goods vehicle with or without any form or cargo.
Gareth Thomas

Post by Gareth Thomas »

Not on one sign, but at this roundabout in Folkestone we have this sign pointing west.....

.....and this sign pointing east!

Similarly at this roundabout on the A258 both directions are also signposted "Dover".
My journey with testicular cancer!
https://garethishalfnuts.wordpress.com/

"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads..."
-Dr Emmett Brown
TS

Post by TS »

I remember this sign as a pair of simple (old blue-bordered) signs simply saying "Rhayader 8" and "Rhayader 9".

https://goo.gl/maps/KLMfY1pYasMFvLny7
pjr10th

Post by pjr10th »

In an example from Jersey we have plenty.

http://imgur.com/a/5Cjee4N

(Sorry for the blurry pic) - this one where you can get to St Helier via the A10 and the A9 (and the A8, though that isn't signposted)

https://imgur.com/a/2Z0elLf

Another one at a roundabout.

And the #1 abomination of a road direction sign:

http://imgur.com/a/g6HTWeS
Peter350

Post by Peter350 »

Not sure if this would strictly count as the same destination being reachable via two routes, but the ADS on the B3078 approaching the A31 at Lake Gates roundabout used to be signed towards "Corfe Mullen South" on the straight on arm, and "Corfe Mullen North" on the right arm. The reality is that there is no such place as "Corfe Mullen South" or "Corfe Mullen North", since they are both part of the larger parish of Corfe Mullen which has rapidly expanded over the past fifty years, so the signposting is just to get to different parts of the village. The "North" and "South" have now been patched up but this reflects the rather convoluted history of the village:

In 1923, the only part of the village that was referred to as Corfe Mullen was the northern part that straddles the A31 by the Coventry Arms. There is proof here on an MOT map from this site. By the 1960s, much more land to the south encompassing the modern village around Roman Road had been built on, but maps still showed Corfe Mullen as being the original disjointed part by the A31. With the southern part of the village rapidly expanding while the northern part has remained stagnant, most people now refer to the southern part as the centre of the village, with the northern part seemingly wiped from memory. This must be the prime example of a village that has literally moved from one location to another over a long period of time, without any of it being designated a new town.
Owain
Elected Committee Member

Post by Owain »

In Italy, where signage is very much 'directional', it can be quite common to arrive at a junction and see the same destination signposted in two directions. That applies as much on the continent with destinations such as "ROMA" or "MILANO" appearing twice to indicate a tolled motorway route as well as an untolled primary route, as it does in Sardinia where there are no motorways (tolled or otherwise).

However, while a pair of signs telling you that both roads will take you where you want to go is not necessarily a bad thing, it's not always helpful. More than once, I've been presented with such a 'choice' while trying to escape from a labyrinthine Sardinian village, and after choosing the left option for "CAGLIARI" over the right option for "CAGLIARI" (even though I wasn't going to Cagliari!), I've proceeded to drive all the way round the village following "CAGLIARI" only to arrive back at the same junction presented with the same 'choice', left for "CAGLIARI" and right for "CAGLIARI".
Former President & F99 Driver

Viva la Repubblica!
JamesA44

Post by JamesA44 »

pjr10th wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 01:13 In an example from Jersey we have plenty.

http://imgur.com/a/5Cjee4N

(Sorry for the blurry pic) - this one where you can get to St Helier via the A10 and the A9 (and the A8, though that isn't signposted)

https://imgur.com/a/2Z0elLf

Another one at a roundabout.

And the #1 abomination of a road direction sign:

http://imgur.com/a/g6HTWeS
Those links are coming up just black - or is it just me? :(
Telstarbox

Post by Telstarbox »

Jam35 wrote: Sat Mar 22, 2014 08:50
guvvaA303 wrote:Not sure if this has come up before. I noticed this sign today near Gatwick Airport, signposting London two ways (A217 and A23).
What makes this one ultra-amusing is that if one were actually going to London, the quickest route would be to make a U-turn at that roundabout – the only arm not signposted for London – and use the M23.
Depends where you're going of course. London (SW) on the A217 arm would make sense - and it would be consistent with the signs at M25 Junction 8.
CrazyInWeston

Post by CrazyInWeston »

Stevie D wrote: Thu Mar 20, 2014 23:19 In a similar vein:

London is not in the South, and if anything they've got them the wrong way round.
Maybe because apart from the A1. The M1 at that point does indeed go to London, I think it was pointing out north and south. Maybe trying to divert more traffic to London via the M1 rather than the A1.
Edit: The A1 goes through many places, it was perhaps quicker for London traffic to hit the M1 instead of joining the A1 and fight local traffic.
Stevie D

Post by Stevie D »

Telstarbox wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 15:23Depends where you're going of course. London (SW) on the A217 arm would make sense - and it would be consistent with the signs at M25 Junction 8.
Not really. Even for traffic heading for Sutton A217 or Kingston A240, the preferable route should be via M23 and M25 rather than ploughing straight through the middle of Reigate.
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

JamesA44 wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 14:40 Those links are coming up just black - or is it just me? :(
They work for me on Chrome but not IE.
Make poetry history.

Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
JamesA44

Post by JamesA44 »

Big L wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 17:57
JamesA44 wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 14:40 Those links are coming up just black - or is it just me? :(
Ah, ok for me in Chrome - thanks.

Maybe I wish I still hadn't seen the third pic - agh my eyes! :msnstare:
Simon_GNR

Post by Simon_GNR »

skiddaw05 wrote: Sat Mar 22, 2014 00:22 Do you go green or white?
I noticed this one the other day (14/08/20). SatNav said "white".
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

Simon_GNR wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:26
It's green for the town centre, white for the seafront. That much could be made clearer.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
pjr10th

Post by pjr10th »

JamesA44 wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 08:38
Big L wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 17:57
Ah, ok for me in Chrome - thanks.

Maybe I wish I still hadn't seen the third pic - agh my eyes! :msnstare:
I know right! What happens when there is no oversight on a local roads authority! Abominations like this! https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@49.19896 ... 6656?hl=en
TS

Post by TS »

Has anyone mentioned this on the A888 at Northbay, Isle of Barra? (Photo taken in 2012 so sign may be different now.)
A888.jpg
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Chris Bertram wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:46
Simon_GNR wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:26
It's green for the town centre, white for the seafront. That much could be made clearer.
The ADS before the roundabout does that.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck