Destination signed via multiple routes

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

A320Driver

Destination signed via multiple routes

Post by A320Driver »

Not sure if this has come up before. I noticed this sign today near Gatwick Airport, signposting London two ways (A217 and A23).

Not ideal for perhaps the many foreign visitors who arrive at an international airport, but it got me wondering where else on the network similar situations occur? Obviously there is the A1(M)/M1 at Hook Moor and also the A14/A1 split at Alconbury.
Formerly ‘guvvaA303’
chris486
Account deactivated at user request

Re: Destination signed via multiple routes

Post by chris486 »

Penrith and Carlisle on the A6 and M6 at J41 and J42

Glasgow is signposted on the A8 and M8 from Baillieston Interchange
Vierwielen

Post by Vierwielen »

guvvaA303 wrote:Not sure if this has come up before. I noticed this sign today near Gatwick Airport, signposting London two ways (A217 and A23).

Not ideal for perhaps the many foreign visitors who arrive at an international airport, [... snip...]
Apart from the tree that is obscuring half the sign, the sign is not too confusing. London is a big place and there are two roads - one via Reigate and one via Redhill. I would expect any prudent motorist who has arrived from abroad to have identified his route into London before setting off.
Stevie D

Post by Stevie D »

In a similar vein:

London is not in the South, and if anything they've got them the wrong way round.

Which way to York?, omitting to mention the 13'9" height restriction on the road to the left.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

London is a super destination so takes precedence over the others.

It's not a completely intuitive system at times.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
sydneynick

Post by sydneynick »

guvvaA303 wrote:Not sure if this has come up before. I noticed this sign today near Gatwick Airport, signposting London two ways (A217 and A23).

Not ideal for perhaps the many foreign visitors who arrive at an international airport, but it got me wondering where else on the network similar situations occur? Obviously there is the A1(M)/M1 at Hook Moor and also the A14/A1 split at Alconbury.
I would think that a foreign visitor might be more confused by the strange symbols on the sign. Orange rectangle with a black diamond? Red square with a white H? These were not in the visitor's list of UK road signs.
I can always tell if politicians are lying. Their lips move.
autismuk

Post by autismuk »

Sometimes they give it back. When I first went to France Calais would offer you two different routes to Paris. I think it still does (A16 and A26/A1).

The vaguest sign is probably the M62 / A1 which used to say 'The North / The South' A1.
ronhale

Post by ronhale »

I seem to remember signpost(s) around the Teesside area showing "Whitby via Moors" and "Whitby via Coast"
Ron H
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

At Gailey Island, Staffordshire, Telford is signed both via A5, and via A449 and M54.
Steven
Motorway Historian

Founder Member, SABRE ex-Presidents' Corner

Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!

From the SABRE Wiki: Gailey Island :

Gailey Island is a small roundabout at the junction of the A5 and A449 in the hamlet of Gailey to the north of Wolverhampton, Staffordshire. It is often confused with Gailey Interchange, which is the junction with the M6 a mile to the east.

It is the point where the Trunk Road north from Wolverhampton moves

... Read More