Destination signed via multiple routes

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

orudge
Site Manager

Re: Destination signed via multiple routes

Post by orudge »

A8000Bob wrote:Further along the A93 is this.

http://goo.gl/maps/5nzoP

I'm not sure why it's signed this way. The A980 rejoins the A93 a few miles away in Banchory. The route to Aberdeen is along a few B roads, B977, B9125, B9119 to meet the A944 at Westhill.
Ah, yes, I knew there was another one along the A93 somewhere, just couldn't remember where!

If you're wanting to go to the north of Aberdeen (or anywhere north of the B9119 basically), the A980 route would likely be much quicker than the A93, which passes through various settlements and then deposits you in the wrong part of town. The B977/B9125 are pretty high quality roads (straight and fast) for the most part. The B9119 has sprouted lots of roundabouts around Westhill though, and the A944 is getting busy with new developments too, but overall it's probably still quicker than the A93 North Deeside Road (or indeed the B9077 South Deeside Road) if you're heading towards the north of town.
Ruperts Trooper

Post by Ruperts Trooper »

Brock wrote:Incidentally, I'm quite surprised to see that the closure of the A431 hasn't been mentioned on SABRE, as it's putting significant strain on the A4 between Bath and Bristol. It's quite a major story in this area.
It has http://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/forum/vie ... =1&t=32700
Lifelong motorhead
A8000Bob

Post by A8000Bob »

I wonder why it isn't signed like this?

http://goo.gl/maps/wessR

Aberdeen North A980, Aberdeen South and Central A93.

I'm not really sure what the best route into the City Centre from that point is. A93 isn't great at rush hour, but it does take you to the end of Holburn Street/Union Street. A944 is pretty terrible between the ARI and City Centre. B9119 Queens Road and Albyn Place is probably the best route into the city from the West.
JamesA44

Post by JamesA44 »

J6onM27

Post by J6onM27 »

You can't miss Southampton even if you go wrong at Junction 13!
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.96857 ... !2e0?hl=en
Stevie D

Post by Stevie D »

Chris Bertram wrote:
paully wrote:Another one, http://goo.gl/maps/lqlLL
"I'm going to Carlisle, should I take a motorway or a B road?" Seems strange signing Carlisle down the B road (which is the old A74) as it's still over 70 miles away! The sign is obviously out of date too as it mentions the A74.
If you are forbidden to use the motorway then I think you would welcome the option.
If you are not allowed to use the motorway then I would hope that you would plan a route that avoided motorways, because signs will generally direct you onto them! Relying on odd signs like this that give you an alternative route is not a good strategy...
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

Either, obviously. Although the official route to/from the M42 is via the A435 and A4023 rather than the A441, and will remain so unless the Bordesley by-pass ever gets built.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
the cheesecake man

Post by the cheesecake man »

There's plenty of signs on the M1 offering multiple options for Sheffield but they're always suffixed eg with (North). The A57 doesn't bother: Sheffield straight on or right
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

Dartmouth either way. Depending on your vehicle class, I guess.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

swissferry

Post by swissferry »

As soon as you get off the ferry on the Island of Barra you're faced with this dilemma: https://goo.gl/maps/pWi8J3nVchSzJRWj9
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

Yes, last year I was faced with exactly that,as direct sailings to Lochmaddy from Oban had been suspended owing to a fault with the vessel, so I got to visit Barra for the first time, as the diversion route was via Barra, necessitating arriving at Castlebay and needing to drive across the island to Ardmor for onward connection to Eriskay.
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
trickstat

Post by trickstat »

the cheesecake man wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 20:47 There's plenty of signs on the M1 offering multiple options for Sheffield but they're always suffixed eg with (North). The A57 doesn't bother: Sheffield straight on or right
That would make sense if the A57 sign said something like Sheffield (SW) and the M1 Sheffield (other destinations). Surprising when I think quite a lot of traffic from Eastern Notts, Lincolnshire and East Anglia would come this way to Sheffield.
multiraider2

Post by multiraider2 »

Chris Bertram wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 20:57 Dartmouth either way. Depending on your vehicle class, I guess.
The above points to a map for me and I think your link was to be something like this
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

multiraider2 wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 22:42
Chris Bertram wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 20:57 Dartmouth either way. Depending on your vehicle class, I guess.
The above points to a map for me and I think your link was to be something like this
Thank you, that's right. Linking from the Street view mobile app doesn't work for me.

KeithW

Post by KeithW »

the cheesecake man wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 20:47 There's plenty of signs on the M1 offering multiple options for Sheffield but they're always suffixed eg with (North). The A57 doesn't bother: Sheffield straight on or right
Well from that point Sheffield is to the West, personally I think the sign is fine as it is effectively offering you a non motorway route.
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

One means paying to use the ferry and the other is the long way round via Totnes. The ferry will allow some HGV's but there is a weight limit of 18 tonnes. When I was staying in Stoke Fleming and wanter to go to Brixham I used the ferry but the fee was steep for such a short crossing around £6 for 400 metres as I recall but the alternative route is a 23 mile drive that can take 3/4 of an hour in summer.
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

KeithW wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 09:53
One means paying to use the ferry and the other is the long way round via Totnes. The ferry will allow some HGV's but there is a weight limit of 18 tonnes. When I was staying in Stoke Fleming and wanter to go to Brixham I used the ferry but the fee was steep for such a short crossing around £6 for 400 metres as I recall but the alternative route is a 23 mile drive that can take 3/4 of an hour in summer.
Actually, per multiraider's post above, what I meant to link to is this. What you get here is a choice of ferries - the lower ferry, from Kingswear to Dartmouth town centre, has a 7.5t limit, and is a tug/pontoon ferry. The higher ferry, slightly to the north, is a cable ferry or "floating bridge"; this has an 18t limit. Anything heavier must go via Totnes. (There's also a foot passenger ferry in between, but that needn't trouble us here).

agc2070

Post by agc2070 »

At Millbank crossroads, Newchurch, Kent, the village of Ivychurch is signed in two different directions. I think one was is 2 1/4 miles and the other is 2 3/4 miles. Curvy or straight? The choice is yours.
jervi

Post by jervi »

vlad

Post by vlad »

My favourite is this junction in Manorbier, where both sets of signs are identical, just pointing in opposite directions.
"If you expect nothing from somebody you are never disappointed." - Sylvia Plath