Destination signed via multiple routes

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

DavidBrown

Re: Destination signed via multiple routes

Post by DavidBrown »

Here's one that made me chuckle when I saw it. Definitely trying to deter caravans from Lynton!
si404

Post by si404 »

DavidBrown wrote:Here's one that made me chuckle when I saw it. Definitely trying to deter caravans from Lynton!
What's NCN51 doing in Devon?
"“Peace, commerce and honest friendship with all nations" Thomas Jefferson

From the SABRE Wiki: NCN51 :

NCN51 is a cycle route running across the South Midlands and East Anglia, from Oxford to Colchester via Cambridge and the Haven Ports. From Harwich to Colchester, the route forms part of the EuroVelo 2 Capitals Route and the EuroVelo 12 North Sea Circuit.

Sustrans [[Category:Milton

... Read More
Jamesabout29

Post by Jamesabout29 »

The race to London!

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.54568 ... S96JlQ!2e0

And you can also get to Basildon along the A127 as well!
Railway, road, sky, football, rugby enthusiast since 2001 ;)

Proud to share a birthday with the M25!!
skiddaw05

Post by skiddaw05 »

Jam35

Post by Jam35 »

guvvaA303 wrote:Not sure if this has come up before. I noticed this sign today near Gatwick Airport, signposting London two ways (A217 and A23).
What makes this one ultra-amusing is that if one were actually going to London, the quickest route would be to make a U-turn at that roundabout – the only arm not signposted for London – and use the M23.
si404

Post by si404 »

Jam35 wrote:What makes this one ultra-amusing is that if one were actually going to London, the quickest route would be to make a U-turn at that roundabout – the only arm not signposted for London – and use the M23.
And while traffic on Gatwick's roads are sent the better way (same destinations signed from N. Terminal roundabout), traffic heading north through the Airport area on the A23 are sent to that roundabout, getting a measly (M23) patch on the sign where they should turn off: the ADS is mostly obscured by a tree[/url] and the gore sign has (M23) writ small, so you're beyond the split before you can read it. :roll:
"“Peace, commerce and honest friendship with all nations" Thomas Jefferson
Brock
Banned

Post by Brock »

Bristol is normally signed from Bath along both the A4 and the A431 - but not at the moment:

http://www.westerndailypress.co.uk/A431 ... story.html

Incidentally, I'm quite surprised to see that the closure of the A431 hasn't been mentioned on SABRE, as it's putting significant strain on the A4 between Bath and Bristol. It's quite a major story in this area.
Arcuarius

Post by Arcuarius »

Not the only place I'm sure given the two routes, but at M5 J22, the roundabout is signed Bristol (S) A38, and Bristol M5.
"Accuse the other side of that which you are guilty."
- some extreme-right nutcase

1973-2007 Never forgotten
Vierwielen

Post by Vierwielen »

orudge wrote:Aberdeen or Aberdeen, one route taking you via a (lower quality) bypass, the other taking you through Ballater.

At the other end, Braemar or Braemar.
A case of

"Oh, ye'll tak' the high road, and I'll tak' the low road, ..."
PeterA5145

Post by PeterA5145 »

Stafford is signed via both the A34 and A5013 from the roundabout at M6 Junction 14.

At M60 Junction 22, Rochdale is signed via the A663 and A627(M), whereas Leeds is signed via the M60, Simister Island and the M62 - but the two routes cross each other at M62 Junction 20.
“The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” – Robert A. Heinlein
Jam35

Post by Jam35 »

Vierwielen wrote:
orudge wrote:Aberdeen or Aberdeen, one route taking you via a (lower quality) bypass, the other taking you through Ballater.

A case of

"Oh, ye'll tak' the high road, and I'll tak' the low road, ..."
If only this forum had a "like" button! :D
Lewandowski
Banned

Post by Lewandowski »

My grandmother is from Ballater, interestingly enough.

I've always wondered why the A93 goes through the town rather than on the Pass, and the only conclusion I have is that it's a deliberate decision for tourist reasons. There's no reason why tourist traffic can't take the B972 instead, but I'm guessing they want people to go through the towns on Deeside.
Burns

Post by Burns »

The reason is a little less convoluted than that. The B972 is narrower than the A93 and upgrading it to a proper S2 would be challenging along certain parts of the pass. The B972 is fine for drivers who want to take a short cut but you wouldn't want to send large volumes of freight down there.
Bfivethousand

Post by Bfivethousand »

Conekicker wrote:
Bryn666 wrote:London is a super destination so takes precedence over the others.

It's not a completely intuitive system at times.
Tut, tut. Write out 100 times, "There's no such beastie as a super-primary destination any more"
To be fair, Bryn didn't actually say it was a super-primary destination, he merely commented on what a wonderful place London is...

Back to the original point, the HA have gone to some effort to replace Brownhills with Cannock on a number of ADSs round here. Quite a lot of duplication as a result especially around Weeford.
16 Sodium atoms walk into a bar
followed immediately by Batman
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Bfivethousand wrote:
Conekicker wrote:
Bryn666 wrote:London is a super destination so takes precedence over the others.

It's not a completely intuitive system at times.
Tut, tut. Write out 100 times, "There's no such beastie as a super-primary destination any more"
To be fair, Bryn didn't actually say it was a super-primary destination, he merely commented on what a wonderful place London is...

Back to the original point, the HA have gone to some effort to replace Brownhills with Cannock on a number of ADSs round here. Quite a lot of duplication as a result especially around Weeford.
Of course London is super, that's why HS2 will stop in the middle of it!

And anyway... no one else bothers with LTN 1/94 so why should I. :wink:
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
Sunil_of_Yoxley

Post by Sunil_of_Yoxley »

My London railway station photos on Wikimedia Commons
paully

Post by paully »

Another one, http://goo.gl/maps/lqlLL
"I'm going to Carlisle, should I take a motorway or a B road?" Seems strange signing Carlisle down the B road (which is the old A74) as it's still over 70 miles away! The sign is obviously out of date too as it mentions the A74.
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

paully wrote:Another one, http://goo.gl/maps/lqlLL
"I'm going to Carlisle, should I take a motorway or a B road?" Seems strange signing Carlisle down the B road (which is the old A74) as it's still over 70 miles away! The sign is obviously out of date too as it mentions the A74.
If you are forbidden to use the motorway then I think you would welcome the option.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
A8000Bob

Post by A8000Bob »

Further along the A93 is this.

http://goo.gl/maps/5nzoP

I'm not sure why it's signed this way. The A980 rejoins the A93 a few miles away in Banchory. The route to Aberdeen is along a few B roads, B977, B9125, B9119 to meet the A944 at Westhill.
A72

Post by A72 »

paully wrote:Another one, http://goo.gl/maps/lqlLL
Every single sign at that junction is out of date, as not one mentions A74(M).
The 7-Zone Challenge
A roads: 71/71
B roads: 181/181
Total: 252/252

Completed: 04/11/20.