Herts - A120 Little Hadham bypass

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Big Nick

Re: Herts - A120 Little Hadham bypass

Post by Big Nick »

On the front page of this weeks Hertfordshire Mercury - a complaint about the Standon roadworks.
https://www.hertfordshiremercury.co.uk/ ... ic-2288664

Quote: "They have been talking about building a bypass for years. So why are they causing all this disruption to get it ready for work to begin in the summer? They have talked for years, why does it need to begin then?"

Surely it has to begin some time? When does he want the road improved?
Does he even get the need for the bypass that all the locals have been shouting for for decades?

He doesn't want roadworks in the rush hour but that is unavoidable, you can't let people drive on a road that's being dug up. It's not like you can just kick all the cones to one side to clear a traffic buildup. :censored:
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

I did think the timing of this was a bit interesting - I was expecting Standon improvements after Little Hadham, as the consultation was after it.... The whole area has been subject to significant delays and works over the past year; at the Bishop's Stortford end they're playing a game of pour the concrete, building large new car-dependent estates and increasing junction capacity at roundabouts/building new access roundabouts to cope. The new estates have also required road closures to facilitate the provision of new utilities into the residential areas. This is then all coupled with the general Little Hadham delays.

However, I don't see the point in waiting - clearly the LA are just getting on wth it.
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
Al__S

Post by Al__S »

Big Nick wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 17:47

Surely it has to begin some time? When does he want the road improved?
Does he even get the need for the bypass that all the locals have been shouting for for decades?

He doesn't want roadworks in the rush hour but that is unavoidable, you can't let people drive on a road that's being dug up. It's not like you can just kick all the cones to one side to clear a traffic buildup. :censored:
People want re-built roads, but they want them to happen by waving a magic wand and the finished product just appearing
MayzieY

Post by MayzieY »

I think that one of the issues, particularly for Standon, is that the Lt Hadham bypass will just move the queues along a bit with Standon being the last pinchpoint on the A120. I would think that doing the local junction works now will help with the existing problems of right-turning traffic and maybe give the locals a period of respite until the Hadham bypass is in place ...

The call for the Standon bypass has been going on for as long the one for Lt Hadham ...
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

The problem with stand on though is that there is no agreement locally on whether to.go north or south. Strategically south is better for the road 's current use. However polo wise north would be better. But meadows to the south and ancient settlement to the north. Which is why giving up and improving online was chosen to the time being.
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
roadphotos

Post by roadphotos »

Apparently construction work on the Little Hadham by-Pass is due to start in March this year. Does anyone have anymore information on this ?
A303Chris
Elected Committee Member

Post by A303Chris »

roadphotos wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 19:46 Apparently construction work on the Little Hadham by-Pass is due to start in March this year. Does anyone have anymore information on this ?
Apparently so given this press release from Herts. The scheme page here hasn't been updated, still saying they are at Planning , but does say a Spring 2019 start.
The M25 - The road to nowhere
MayzieY

Post by MayzieY »

This link sets out some info on the A120 corridor, including that there are a number of weekend closures and overnight closures set between now and August, the first of which happens THIS WEEKEND.

https://www.hertfordshire.gov.uk/servic ... ridor.aspx

And the link has a reference to the bypass starting in June this year.
owen b

Post by owen b »

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/vita ... reen-light

"Roads Minister Jesse Norman today (23 May 2019) confirmed the Department for Transport will provide £27.4 million, almost three quarters of the total funding, for a Little Hadham Bypass along the A120 between Bishop’s Stortford and the A10......

The plans will see a 4km single carriageway bypass to the north of Little Hadham.....

Works will start in June 2019 and the scheme is scheduled to open in Autumn 2020."
Owen
roadphotos

Post by roadphotos »

Work is now well underway on this scheme, it's great to see the new A120 at Little Hadham finally taking shape. The only thing that I found frustrating was the temporary footpath closures near Hadham Hall but I guess that there's no gain without pain. The new road is due to open in 2020
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

Have some drone footage:

(with rather creepy processing!)
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

Here's an update PDF, with some photographs of the bridge and roundabouts under construction:
https://www.hertfordshire.gov.uk/media- ... l-2020.pdf
https://web.archive.org/web/20200510231 ... l-2020.pdf
MayzieY

Post by MayzieY »

I ran past the Hadham Park roundabout at the weekend, and it looks like the footbridge structure is sitting waiting to be put in place just to the north (not that I know anything about construction!).
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

MayzieY wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 11:15 I ran past the Hadham Park roundabout at the weekend, and it looks like the footbridge structure is sitting waiting to be put in place just to the north (not that I know anything about construction!).
Yes, it looks like the sections have been delivered and dropped off there.

Here's a good photo of the Albury Road Bridge under construction: https://twitter.com/Herts_Highways/stat ... 84/photo/1
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

Here's a couple of photos taken from the start of the road closure on Albury Road.

View of A120 construction - viewed south east

View south of C15 Albury Road new alignment towards new bridge construction

c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

The Albury road driversion and new bridge is now open - I'll upload some photographs later.
Lewis1997

Post by Lewis1997 »

c2R wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 14:16 The Albury road driversion and new bridge is now open - I'll upload some photographs later.
Does it look like the bypass is being future-proofed for D2 in the future or just the climbing lane?
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

Lewis1997 wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 17:17
c2R wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 14:16 The Albury road driversion and new bridge is now open - I'll upload some photographs later.
Does it look like the bypass is being future-proofed for D2 in the future or just the climbing lane?
Difficult to tell, although I'd assume not - I don't think that there is any chance of that happening.

Looking west from the Albury Road Bridge

Looking east form the Albury Road Bridge

The bridge itself

Another view east
Lewis1997

Post by Lewis1997 »

c2R wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 18:52
Difficult to tell, although I'd assume not - I don't think that there is any chance of that happening.

Looking west from the Albury Road Bridge

Looking east form the Albury Road Bridge

The bridge itself

Another view east
I would of thought so too, but just intrigued to see if they are doing any form of future proofing. And yes, does seem hard to tell based on the current pictures but progress is looking good. Albury Road Bridge looks smart.
M4Simon
Elected Committee Member

Post by M4Simon »

I've been to a couple of talks about the bypass, and neither of them led me to believe that there is any futureproofing for dualling. The route has none of the strategic importance of the A120 through Essex, and a meaningful dualling scheme would also need to deal with Standon and Bishops Stortford. I don't see that happening in my lifetime.

Simon
Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!

Please contact me if you want to know more