Herts - A120 Little Hadham bypass

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Re: Herts - A120 Little Hadham bypass

Post by Chris5156 »

Berk wrote:Sorry, but if there's one thing that's really sticking in my craw lately, it's describing road schemes in metres, and k's, and NOT in yards, and miles. Despite the fact that distances, and speed limits can only be lawfully signed in miles.
If it's signposted in metres and kilometres then you can rightfully be unhappy about it, but this and every other road scheme for the last 40 years is being designed in metric, so naturally those are the units used to describe it.
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

Berk wrote:
c2R wrote:Hot on the heels of the A602 route strategy, Herts have published detailed design plans for the A120 Little Hadham bypass - a 3.9km offline S2/S2+1 road costing almost £30m

http://www.hertsdirect.org/services/tra ... ltbA120BP/

The main surprise really about the route is that it veers back south to meet the current A120, rather than taking a more northerly route to join the Bishop's Stortford bypass.
JohnnyMo wrote:
c2R wrote: The main surprise really about the route is that it veers back south to meet the current A120, rather than taking a more northerly route to join the Bishop's Stortford bypass.
Considering it will end about 750m from the Bishop's Stortford bypass it does seem penny pinching
Sorry, but if there's one thing that's really sticking in my craw lately, it's describing road schemes in metres, and k's, and NOT in yards, and miles. Despite the fact that distances, and speed limits can only be lawfully signed in miles.

Unless the law is changed, like in Ireland, stick to yards, and miles please. Otherwise we have a situation like they had in Ireland.

(Just to make clear, I'm not having a go at members here, per se. Many authorities are guilty of it too.).

Sorry, but I don't live in the past... I was taught metric at school, and understand it as being a method by which distances can be measured and described. Unless there is a law banning me from using such measures, I'll continue to do so as they're logical and sensible.
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

owen b wrote:
c2R wrote:the southern route..... would probably require the A10 junction moving further to the south.
Why? Couldn't the existing A10 / A120 roundabout be enlarged/realigned to accommodate the new bypass and the local road into Standon / Puckeridge? I don't see anything in the way of a southern bypass route linking with the A10 there.
I'm not sure.. the scheme leaflet poses it as a likelihood. I think that the reasoning might be twofold.

Firstly, the junction with the A10 could be complicated if the existing roundabout was used, as there are three local roads that tie in, as well as the new A120.

Secondly, the gradient of the land is such that the A10 and A120 both descend hills to get to the roundabout, so by locating the junction on the A10 further to the south, it presumably saves money in building an overtaking lane on the A120.

Detailed proposed schemes aren't yet available as the route is still in the early stages - it would be interesting to see what plans the highways authority come up with, as the junctions at the A10 end are likley to be tricky, whichever route is chosen.
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
The God of Biscuits

Post by The God of Biscuits »

Whilst I can understand Herts CCs reticence to improve the Bishop's Stortford-Standon section of the A120 to too high a standard (lest it encourages too much strategic traffic to use it for cross-country trips), looking at a map it is quite striking to me just how poor the connection is between Bishop's Stortford and Stevenage when compared to the connections between other towns and cities in Hertfordshire. Currently your choice is either a massive dog-leg on the A10 to get between the A120 and A602, or through country lanes via Dane End.

If you wanted a strategic link as has been stated upthread you would probably take the Northern route at Standon; from there you would probably draw a line over to A1(M) J8 through the obvious gap at Great Ashby.

But HCC seem happy to make improvements to roads to improve local connectivity (hence the planned improvements to the A602 as well), and there must be a reasonable level of local demand on the Bishop's Stortford-Stevenage axis. So how about something like a short S2 link between Sacombe Pound on the A602 and the A10 in the vicinity of High Cross? This removes most of the dog-leg, particularly if you're bypassing Standon further to the south anyway...
M4Simon
Elected Committee Member

Post by M4Simon »

I have updated the A120 wiki page to reflect progress on the Little Hadham Bypass scheme - in summary the scheme now has planning consent (January 2017) and the county council is going through further statutory processes. They are hoping to open the scheme by 2019 (seems a tight programme to me).

They are also looking at on-line improvements to the A120 through the neighbouring village of Standon.

Simon
Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!

Please contact me if you want to know more

From the SABRE Wiki: A120 :

The A120 runs from Puckeridge in the west to Harwich in the east. It is all primary. It was a straight route, following the line of the Roman Stane Street over much of its length, but a succession of individual bypasses making wide detours of local villages now give the western half a very bumpy appearance.

The A120 starts at a roundabout on the A10

... Read More