Another bridge strike

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

mikehindsonevans

Re: Another bridge strike

Post by mikehindsonevans »

I note that the "Can-opener Bridge" in the USA (with its own YouTube channel) has been raised from 11ft 8in to 12ft 4in.

The perfectly-positioned video cameras are still recording the sights and sounds of dented pride and "aluminum" as our transatlantic cousins insist on pronouncing aluminium.
Mike Hindson-Evans.
Never argue with a conspiracy theorist.
They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
M4 Cardiff

Post by M4 Cardiff »

I love that channel. They even had a good 'full peel' the other week and another that caused the railway bridge itself to lift, so I guess that needed the engineers to come out and check it for safety.
Driving thrombosis caused this accident......a clot behind the wheel.
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

I have a hard time understanding what real benefit would result from increasing the height by just 8 inches as its still well below the normal minimum standard height of 14 feet.
RichardA626

Post by RichardA626 »

KeithW wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 13:23 I have a hard time understanding what real benefit would result from increasing the height by just 8 inches as its still well below the normal minimum standard height of 14 feet.
I think the bridge needed some work & it was the most it could be raised by without needed the embankment to be built up.

I follow the You Tube channel as well.
Beware of the trickster on the roof
M4 Cardiff

Post by M4 Cardiff »

I think there are also level crossings pretty nearby, so raising the embankment any more than it was would have created problems at the crossings.

However, given how many vehicles only just caught at the lower height, even the modest raising should reduce the amount that hit the bridge. There was only a recent batch of them because the overheight detector system had failed, but I believe it's now working again.
Driving thrombosis caused this accident......a clot behind the wheel.
roadtester

Post by roadtester »

doebag wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:55
doebag wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 15:16 Same bridge, different numpty

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-c ... e-50138592
Stonea rail bridge closed for approximately 12 months
https://www.railadvent.co.uk/2019/11/st ... pairs.html
Stonea in the news again - local MP Steve Barclay pressing for improvements:

https://www.cambstimes.co.uk/news/traff ... rd-8116646
Electrophorus Electricus

Check out #davidsdailycar on Mastodon
Runwell

Post by Runwell »

Impressive one in Basildon today.
Attachments
20210705_162053.jpg
20210705_164359.jpg
Vierwielen

Post by Vierwielen »

Runwell wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 16:24 Impressive one in Basildon today.
I have been trying to work out whether or not this vehicle has a UK numberplate. It looks like "G18MTL" to me. I also noticed that the bridge height was in imperial units only. As I understand it, UK-registered vehicles that are more than 3 metres in height must have a notice in the cab reminding the driver of the vehicle height in feet and inches, but this rule only applies to vehicles over 4 metres in height if registered outside the UK.
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

Vierwielen wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 18:34
I have been trying to work out whether or not this vehicle has a UK numberplate. It looks like "G18MTL" to me. I also noticed that the bridge height was in imperial units only. As I understand it, UK-registered vehicles that are more than 3 metres in height must have a notice in the cab reminding the driver of the vehicle height in feet and inches, but this rule only applies to vehicles over 4 metres in height if registered outside the UK.
As I recall max vehicle height in the EU is 4 metres or approx 13ft 1 inch so an EU registered truck should easily fit under that bridge as its signed 13ft 9 inches.
Al__S

Post by Al__S »

Looks British. And generally (but not always) containers don't get taken on trailers on ferries. It is however a high cube (9'6") container rather than standard (8'6")
Vierwielen

Post by Vierwielen »

KeithW wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 19:26
As I recall max vehicle height in the EU is 4 metres or approx 13ft 1 inch so an EU registered truck should easily fit under that bridge as its signed 13ft 9 inches.
I think that the 4 metre height is a Council of Europe recommendation meaning that no vehicle that is under 4 metres in height can be refused permission to enter a European country (all Europe, not just EU), purely on grounds of height. Thus if a driver in a foreign sees a bridge with no height warning, he may assume that a 4-metre vehicle can pass underneath it. Individual countries can have larfger defaults than 4 metres - in the UK 5.1 metres (16 ft).
The Deuce

Post by The Deuce »

The company has issued a post explaining the matter
MTL Haulage Ltd

As you might know due to fb magic , MTL had a Bridge Strike today . Accidents happen and all we can do is apologies for the 5 hour road block down in Basildon .
Sad is that we do get calls and and emails with swering word but this incident was not done by an MTL Driver , as people like the undercover HATE and put it down to **** pay rates and eastern European Drivers as per comments and phone calls to us today.
It was not an Eastern European Driver to start with - it was a English Driver ( Mechanic ) 3rd Party Company taking our Vehicle to an MOT Test Station. Due do closure of the A13 as an accident happend on his way, the Driver had to take another route which lead to the incident . Most important is that no one was hurt or killed in that incident , we are all Human and mistakes are happening but it is easier to do one in a 16.5m long and 4.4m High Vehicle . So again apologise from our site that your Journey was interrupted by this event .
https://www.facebook.com/MTLhaulage/pos ... 3152418456
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

So many spelling and grammar errors for one short statement.
Make poetry history.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
Runwell

Post by Runwell »

I suppose getting the name of the road wrong is the least of the issues in that statement...It was the A132 that was shut heading from the A13 at Pitsea, after a car overturned. I'm not sure if the Police had put some diversion signs in place? If it was an overnight closure, they would probably have sent traffic either to the other Basildon exit, or to Sadlers Farm to take the A130 then A127 to get back to the A132. Not likely that would have happened yesterday for something unscheduled? Sending traffic in the direction of that bridge wouldn't have been my choice, unless the driver was following their device or other traffic? There is a turn on the right just before the bridge for Sandon Road, which they could have taken, but that really takes you around the houses including a busy area with a school and shops, so not really feasible for HGVs. The other local alternative would have been to head in to Pitsea Town centre, head up Rectory Road, then Ashlyns to get back to the A132 at the next roundabout, which isn't quite as awkward to drive along in an HGV.

Whilst there are always some people with too much time on their hands, I can't imagine this company had been getting abusive messages, left right and centre? It's hardly the A13.
Vierwielen

Post by Vierwielen »

The Deuce wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 13:38
MTL Haulage Ltd

As you might know due to fb magic , MTL had a Bridge Strike today . Accidents happen and all we can do is apologies for the 5 hour road block down in Basildon .
Sad is that we do get calls and and emails with swering word but this incident was not done by an MTL Driver , as people like the undercover HATE and put it down to **** pay rates and eastern European Drivers as per comments and phone calls to us today.
It was not an Eastern European Driver to start with - it was a English Driver ( Mechanic ) 3rd Party Company taking our Vehicle to an MOT Test Station. Due do closure of the A13 as an accident happend on his way, the Driver had to take another route which lead to the incident . Most important is that no one was hurt or killed in that incident , we are all Human and mistakes are happening but it is easier to do one in a 16.5m long and 4.4m High Vehicle . So again apologise from our site that your Journey was interrupted by this event .
I notice that the haulage company stated that their vehicle was 4.4 metres high while the bridge had a 13ft 9in height limit! :confused:
Klepsydra

Post by Klepsydra »

Vierwielen wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 18:05
MTL Haulage Ltd

I notice that the haulage company stated that their vehicle was 4.4 metres high while the bridge had a 13ft 9in height limit! :confused:
It does make one wonder why they had a container on the back of it, if it was only going for an MOT.

K.
"I went to a planet without bilateral symmetry and all I got was this lousy F-shirt."
B9127

Post by B9127 »

There was two bridge strikes at Monifieth near Dundee a couple of days ago where the railway crosses access roads to the beach - first was I think a the higher of the two where a cab or wind deflector struck the bridge - trains were stopped one near the bridge - the train driver was apparently asked to go and have a look and while he was doing that a car? with bikes on the roof struck the lower one at the station - needless to say the bikes landed on the road - havn't seen anything in local rag and only aware of this as daughter is a train driver
Motorways travelled 2019 - M90 - M9 - M80 - M8 -M77 - M73 -A74(M) -M6-M42-M40 -A404(M) - M4 - M5 -M50 -M56 much better so far than last year
Pete Smith

Post by Pete Smith »

Klepsydra wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 18:23
Vierwielen wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 18:05

It does make one wonder why they had a container on the back of it, if it was only going for an MOT.

K.
It has to be presented for its MOT loaded for the brake test
The Deuce

Post by The Deuce »

Yesterday on Mill Lane, Bache, Chester - https://goo.gl/maps/DutRNstPmMRo6qRu6 - a double deck bus struck the 12' 3" Arch bridge. Thankfully no one was injured.

https://www.cheshire-live.co.uk/news/ch ... r-20992778
rhyds

Post by rhyds »

Big L wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 19:06 So many spelling and grammar errors for one short statement.
Because the most important part of HGV driving is speelling and grammer!
Built for comfort, not speed.