Another bridge strike

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Re: Another bridge strike

Post by Big L »

aj444 wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 19:17 Random question - if the signed height for a bridge is 14'5'' and you know your vehicle although being 14'6'' will fit underneath it are you breaking the law?
Guess it depends on whether the signs are circular or triangular.

I think signed heights are only allowed to be shown in 3" multiples, so 14' 5" should never appear.
Make poetry history.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
Conekicker

Post by Conekicker »

Big L wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 19:28
aj444 wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 19:17 Random question - if the signed height for a bridge is 14'5'' and you know your vehicle although being 14'6'' will fit underneath it are you breaking the law?
Guess it depends on whether the signs are circular or triangular.

I think signed heights are only allowed to be shown in 3" multiples, so 14' 5" should never appear.
Additionally the signed height should be rounded down. BUT - there's no guarantee the signed height is correct, the road may have been resurfaced and the height not checked to see if the sign is correct. Or the sign just may be wrong. Also, can you be certain of the height of your vehicle, might it depend on how heavily loaded it is as to what it's height is?
Patience is not a virtue - it's a concept invented by the dozy beggars who are unable to think quickly enough.
aj444

Post by aj444 »

I was just wondering why they needed a TRO for the bridge in Oldbury when it has a regulatory sign on it, why can they not just change the sign?
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

Probably but more importantly you are taking a serious risk, while it may squeak under fully loaded it may not when empty. This is why when lowdecker buses went under the railway bridge at Middlesbrough station the drivers where told to come to a full stop and edge forward slowly, suspension bounce could be enough to cause damage,
aj444

Post by aj444 »

Don't forget that vehicle heights are calculated when unladen as well as bridge heights being rounded down. But in this particular case we know the bridge height is 14'6'' as that's what it is just now. My whatever at 14'5'' will fit just now, but won't soon....
Fenlander

Post by Fenlander »

aj444 wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 20:02 I was just wondering why they needed a TRO for the bridge in Oldbury when it has a regulatory sign on it, why can they not just change the sign?
Is it because they’re going from using the correct height for it to an ‘environmental’ one so that needs a different approval process?
B1040

Post by B1040 »

Nearly two months with out a post, then...
https://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news/c ... a-18895571

Not Ely!
Al__S

Post by Al__S »

B1040 wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 13:54 Nearly two months with out a post, then...
https://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news/c ... a-18895571

Not Ely!
That was in September.
Stats say that between then and now there's probably been hundreds of them
B1040

Post by B1040 »

(Offensive language deleted) Cambridge News. Why put fresh news up when you can recycle ancient stuff?
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

B1040 wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 22:26 (Offensive language deleted) Cambridge News. Why put fresh news up when you can recycle ancient stuff?
It's Reach, that's how their papers work.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
Pendlemac

Post by Pendlemac »

B1040 wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 22:26 (Offensive language deleted) Cambridge News. Why put fresh news up when you can recycle ancient stuff?
Once it's on the website it stays there and I cannot currently find a link to it from any of the headline pages.

I have noticed that the BBC sometimes show links to old stories at the bottom of their news pages.

Maybe you could tell us how you found it so we know if those running the Cambridge News site really are to blame?
Al__S

Post by Al__S »

it'll probably have been in the Taboola section under a story, which a is a clickbait/content farm system that mixes their own nonsense with a selection of stories, often years old and always irrelevant. There's one that seems to often appear with the headline "M11 set to be closed until at least midnight after huge lorry fire" that's from 2018. Taboola are pollution on the internet, they offer nothing that is helpful to users.
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

Al__S wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 07:34 it'll probably have been in the Taboola section under a story, which a is a clickbait/content farm system that mixes their own nonsense with a selection of stories, often years old and always irrelevant. There's one that seems to often appear with the headline "M11 set to be closed until at least midnight after huge lorry fire" that's from 2018. Taboola are pollution on the internet, they offer nothing that is helpful to users.
Unless of course you a are looking for old news for research purposes, a lot ends up on the wayback machine but often there is a significant lag. You can find such old stories by including a date in the search string try this for example.
shropshire bridge strike 2017
https://www.shropshirelive.com/news/201 ... le-strike/

And often avoid them the same way.

shropshire bridge strike 2020
https://www.shropshirestar.com/news/loc ... e-strikes/
M4 Cardiff

Post by M4 Cardiff »

Use Adblocker / Ublock on firefox and you can say goodbye to scum like taboola for good!
Driving thrombosis caused this accident......a clot behind the wheel.
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

M4 Cardiff wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 09:27 Use Adblocker / Ublock on firefox and you can say goodbye to scum like taboola for good!
The problem is a significant number of news sites wont let you in if you block ads, that is how they get the money to pay for the site and salaries of journalists after all. To get round this I use 2 browsers, 1 with an ad blocker and one without.
B1040

Post by B1040 »

I thought I'd googled Cambridge News on a laptop, and got an up to date set of news headlines.
The website seems inaccessible from my phone now.
Usually when I go to Cambridge News, even via a search engine to try to get a recent feed, I get the same 3 stories. One 2 months old then a 3 month story and then a 4 month story.
linuxrocks

Post by linuxrocks »

KeithW wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:33
M4 Cardiff wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 09:27 Use Adblocker / Ublock on firefox and you can say goodbye to scum like taboola for good!
The problem is a significant number of news sites wont let you in if you block ads, that is how they get the money to pay for the site and salaries of journalists after all. To get round this I use 2 browsers, 1 with an ad blocker and one without.
Have you tried https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... nbmbdmbkdj (which I use at home) or https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... p?hl=en-GB (which I have on my work PC)

OK, ask me the obvious question, why are the different on the two machines? Dunno.
Ask me another obvious question, which is better? Well, I like the first, and I also like the second. Which is better? There is only one way to find out...
doebag

Post by doebag »

doebag wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 16:53
doebag wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:55
doebag wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 15:16 Same bridge, different numpty

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-c ... e-50138592
Stonea rail bridge closed for approximately 12 months
https://www.railadvent.co.uk/2019/11/st ... pairs.html
Drove through last month and the bridge is still closed to road traffic.
It finally opened, and on the same day, it get's hit again .

https://www.wisbechstandard.co.uk/news/ ... in-7325034
fras

Post by fras »

What is needed is cameras to record the vehicles hitting the bridge, and the owner to then whalloped for the full cost of repairs and disruption to traffic.
B1040

Post by B1040 »

https://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news/c ... e-19881836

Coldham's Lane in Cambridge.
A car transporter!