M4 Newport Relief Road given go-ahead

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Berk

Re: M4 Newport Relief Road given go-ahead

Post by Berk »

I think the issue of the lawyers is an interesting one. Of course the UK government must have its own lawyers, but as far as we're aware they only offer advice in the background. They would never involve themselves in the actual decision-making process, as appears to have been the case in Wales.

It may be the Welsh Government is more risk-averse as it is a smaller body, but acting that way may make it impossible to take on big issues and projects, if someone is just going to call their lawyer every time they disagree or issues arise.
Berk

Post by Berk »

Finally, the end is in sight. A “final” decision will be made within the next 2 weeks.

The article goes on to describe a trade event where firms and potential bidders for tenders for improvements at Newport docks can meet the highways team.

I think the implication that the project is likely to go ahead is probably correct. Why would you sort of invite interest and possible tenders for a project that would be unlikely to go ahead??

Let’s hope there’s something to celebrate at the end of the month. :thumbsup:
jiunaughten

Post by jiunaughten »

The decision is due to be made within 2 weeks of the next assembly term, beginning on the 29th of April. Realistically this means that we can expect to see an announcement on the road on or before the 10th of May.

I do wonder however just how many AMs are going to vote against it, and of course if it will be enough for it to not go ahead, considering how much influence environmental groups seem to have. In every piece from the BBC about the motorway, there is something from an environmental group or campaigner who doesn't want the motorway to be built.

Another thing that I noticed is that the promotional videos of the motorway show it having hard shoulders - this certainly seems to differ from Highways England's thinking of all new motorways being "smart" motorways without hard shoulders.
jackal

Post by jackal »

jiunaughten wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 17:14I do wonder however just how many AMs are going to vote against it, and of course if it will be enough for it to not go ahead, considering how much influence environmental groups seem to have. In every piece from the BBC about the motorway, there is something from an environmental group or campaigner who doesn't want the motorway to be built.
The BBC do that with almost any road scheme, including many in England that go ahead with little fuss. It is a matter of BBC editorial policy rather than the actual influence of environmental groups.

Admittedly the fact there is a direct vote on this scheme does make it more vulnerable. Welsh institutions seem to put as many barriers as possible in the way of major transport infrastructure.
Berk

Post by Berk »

So much so, it’s almost attempting to override the normal planning process with additional layers, and reviews.

If the Welsh Assembly are worth their mettle, they would hold a review into the conduct of the M4 planning process, and whether all these reviews have lead costs to increase.

I doubt they will, of course.
Berk

Post by Berk »

Last edited by Berk on Sun May 12, 2019 19:21, edited 1 time in total.
ANiceEnglishman

Post by ANiceEnglishman »

Berk wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 19:19 The two weeks is practically up. Is something planned to be announced tomorrow, or later this week??
Not until 'early June' now, after the European elections.
You can find any answers you want on the Internet. Some of them may even be correct.
Berk

Post by Berk »

So it seems, but again, it’s very questionable as to “what is there still to be discussed”??

If I was a Welsh constituent, I would definitely be FOI’ing details of the post-enquiry decision process.

It almost feels as if Drakeford was only given access to the report at the end of April (5 months after the lawyers got it).

It should also be pointed out this is a whole year after the enquiry closed. It makes the decision-making process look ridiculous.
Last edited by Berk on Sun May 12, 2019 19:28, edited 1 time in total.
ANiceEnglishman

Berk wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 19:22 So it seems, but again, it’s very questionable as to “what is there still to be discussed”??

If I was a Welsh constituent, I would definitely be FOI’ing details of the post-enquiry decision process.
I feel it's more about not wanting to make a decision.

Roughly half the Labour AMs are thought to be against it, together with Plaid Cymru. Conservatives are nearly all in favour, as are UKIP.

If there were to be a free vote it would be very close.
You can find any answers you want on the Internet. Some of them may even be correct.
Berk

Post by Berk »

But I believe that’s exactly what is going to happen. Drakeford has made comments that his decision will not be “final”, as he wishes the Assembly to have a vote on it.

In that case, why not proceed directly to the vote??

If as First Minister you appear so unwilling to accept advice that supports the building of a piece of major transport infrastructure, where congestion and air quality reports suggest that is the correct action to take; then why accept responsibility for making that decision if members are simply to overturn it??

I also think (as mentioned earlier) the change of leadership from Jones to Drakeford cast a negative shadow on the project.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

I'd rather it was binned until someone comes up with a better design.

Unless you want to force through a roundabout on the M48 and then spend ten years moaning about it being useless...
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
Berk

Post by Berk »

Some of us might not be around to see that in 30 years time... :|
ANiceEnglishman

Bryn666 wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 09:57 I'd rather it was binned until someone comes up with a better design.

Unless you want to force through a roundabout on the M48 and then spend ten years moaning about it being useless...
You need some way of slowing the M48 down though, or nobody will use your expensive, shiny, new road outside the peaks.

[cynic mode off]
jackal

Post by jackal »

Bryn666 wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 09:57 I'd rather it was binned until someone comes up with a better design.

That's a bit baby with the bathwater isn't it?

Besides, no Newport-M4 traffic actually has to use the roundabout in the latest design - semi-direct connector westbound, freeflow bypass of roundabout eastbound (which will send you towards the old bridge). If you mean M48 traffic from Chepstow has to use a roundabout, who cares, it's something trivial like 6k AADT in that direction.

Not perfect but about 90% there, and a damn lot better than the status quo.
DB617

Post by DB617 »

To be honest, the M4 ends on a roundabout at J49 and that's a much larger flow. The only problem is the use of the M48 as a free flow emergency diversion will be lost, but to be honest most of the rest of the M4 goes completely to pot in the event of an unexpected closure so it wouldn't be a departure from standards....
Berk

Post by Berk »

It also needs to be remembered what is currently the M4 will be an A-road of some description - surely that designation will apply up to J23 e/bound??
DB617

Post by DB617 »

Decision due next week.

Guys, I'm nervous. For people like myself travelling between Cardiff, Newport, Bristol and Gloucester a lot, it's absolutely huge. But really I'm also concerned that the decision might not be as 'final' as is being implied thanks to probably delaying legal action.

Of course, my four years living between Bristol and Cardiff in 2020-2024 could not possibly be more painful than if the M4 is covered in roadworks either side of the Newport Bypass. That should be fun - looking forward to night closures navigating the A48. I guess there's a silver lining to either cloud - a new motorway, or no new roadworks.
Hiraeth

Post by Hiraeth »

Very much looks like the First Minister will reject the proposals according to WalesOnline - can only think he will announce a change in Government policy at the same time as by all accounts the Public Inquiry suggested that it should be constructed. :|

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/poli ... d-16368941
DB617

Post by DB617 »

I hope the Assembly holds themselves to account when it comes to rapidly determining what they're going to do instead. I don't want to hear any waffling on about a climate emergency. A flowing motorway is better for the environment than 5 miles of bumper to bumper D2M no matter what anyone says, and I have no faith that modal shift options will even slightly improve JTR on that stretch. It's an absolute misery with no end in sight.

Perhaps we can at least go back to the drawing board (quickly) and get the Blue Route built, moving local traffic back to the A48 and partially bypassing J24? I hope there will be uproar if no alternative is announced immediately.
Hiraeth

Post by Hiraeth »

DB617 wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:43 I hope the Assembly holds themselves to account when it comes to rapidly determining what they're going to do instead. I don't want to hear any waffling on about a climate emergency. A flowing motorway is better for the environment than 5 miles of bumper to bumper D2M no matter what anyone says, and I have no faith that modal shift options will even slightly improve JTR on that stretch. It's an absolute misery with no end in sight.

Perhaps we can at least go back to the drawing board (quickly) and get the Blue Route built, moving local traffic back to the A48 and partially bypassing J24? I hope there will be uproar if no alternative is announced immediately.
The Plan B needs to hit the ground running very quickly - the next Assembly elections are in two years and the opposition parties will be all over this.

Within the Public Inquiry, if I remember correctly, the evidence given by the WG suggested that if the Blue Route was prioritised instead, construction on that would only finish in 2028 (another Public Inquiry would be needed which would mean construction wouldn't start for ages).

There is going to have to be a significant step change in public transport to encourage those in South Wales that currently commute via the M4 to get them to change their mode of travel - it's £9 for a return from Cwmbran to Cardiff on the train (and they only run every hour)!