Uttoxeter GSJs

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Re: Uttoxeter GSJs

Post by Steven »

Bryn666 wrote:This will be a hugely welcome improvement; although Blythe Bridge is scandalous on a major trunk road - classic late 80s thinking of slapping a tiny roundabout in the middle of a fast dual carriageway a la Catthorpe. That needs to be a trumpet really.
You can spot it's exactly where the A50 veers off the missing bit of M64.
Steven
Motorway Historian

Founder Member, SABRE ex-Presidents' Corner

Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!

Comstock
Banned

Post by Comstock »

Forgive my ignorance but what the hell is a trumpet? And don't say a musical instrument! ;)
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

Comstock wrote:Forgive my ignorance but what the hell is a trumpet? And don't say a musical instrument! ;)
Sheesh, doesn't anyone look at the rest of SABRE any more? :wink:

Trumpet Junction
Steven
Motorway Historian

Founder Member, SABRE ex-Presidents' Corner

Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!

From the SABRE Wiki: Trumpet Junction :

A Trumpet Junction or Interchange is a Grade Separated Junction usually used where one route is terminating on another. Typically, but not always, used where two dual carriageways meet, the terminating route will have two sliproads leading to the nearside carriageway, and then a single bridge carrying the offside slips across the through route. These slips then curve around together, to meet the through route in a single quadrant of the junction, with one sliproad therefore passing

... Read More
Comstock
Banned

Post by Comstock »

Steven wrote:
Comstock wrote:Forgive my ignorance but what the hell is a trumpet? And don't say a musical instrument! ;)
Sheesh, doesn't anyone look at the rest of SABRE any more? :wink:

Trumpet Junction
Ok, got it. Like the A6 A50 junction at Derby basically.

From the SABRE Wiki: Trumpet Junction :

A Trumpet Junction or Interchange is a Grade Separated Junction usually used where one route is terminating on another. Typically, but not always, used where two dual carriageways meet, the terminating route will have two sliproads leading to the nearside carriageway, and then a single bridge carrying the offside slips across the through route. These slips then curve around together, to meet the through route in a single quadrant of the junction, with one sliproad therefore passing

... Read More
GeorgeEvans

A50 Growth Corridor aka the Uttoxeter Bypass.

Post by GeorgeEvans »

I've come across these two handy images from the project's documents of 2014. The upper map is Project A, currently under construction, the lower map Project B.

Project B has gone back to the Highways England drawing board following the 'outrage' expressed by the good burghers of Uttoxeter. As it stands the plan would involve the destruction of a significant number of houses and local businesses, and detrimentally affect many other properties; including a petrol station, and handy McDonalds at the A50/B5030 roundabout, along with a hotel - all of which face closure. Interestingly, the plan will include the A50/A518 roundabout's closure ( a feature which was originally designed to be converted into a GSJ if required (as it has been for 20 years or more!)). It'll be interesting to see what the revised version will look like.

Lez

(Apologies for the poor quality image. It's from a scan of a photocopy.)
Lez Watson
(formerly AVG Evans)
wrinkly

Re: A50 Growth Corridor aka the Uttoxeter Bypass.

Post by wrinkly »

There's an existing thread here:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=33338

Perhaps this could be merged with it?

There's a link to a plan of Project B (as proposed four years ago) in the second post of that thread.
danfw194

Post by danfw194 »

I sincerely hope that Project B is not going to endlessly stall. Project A will be a vast improvement on the dreadful LILO's that were there, but ultimately A50 through traffic won't see much benefit when Project A is completed.

The two at-grade roundabouts are bad enough, but the fact that there is a signalised pedestrian crossing on the A50 carriageway just to the east of the McDonalds Roundabout rubs salt in the wound. Highways England need to get onto this quickly.
havaska_uk

Post by havaska_uk »

I believe it is Staffordshire Council pushing this project, not Highways England.
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

There's a Staffordshire logo on the drawing although the A50 is a trunk road so HE would have the final say I assume.
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

As havaska says the county council has always taken the lead with this project. I don't think it has ever had a page on the HE website; but DfT presumably has overall control.

The most recent think I've seen about it is this, which confirms what George says above:

https://www.burtonmail.co.uk/news/local ... le-1385561
GeorgeEvans

Post by GeorgeEvans »

Thanks guys for your replies.

wrinlkly> Sorry, I couldn't find a thread to add my post to.

danfw194> Pedestrian crossing? It's not shown on the plan as far as I can see but I imagine HE/SCC they will opt for a cycle/foot-bridge over the A50 at this point.

What little information provided by the authorities about Project B in 2014 seems to have been taken down from the net while they mull over their next move. The issues raised by the locals are numerous so I don't think we'll see much action this year. The difficulties for all parties are complex and more like those found in city road schemes than a 'simple' town bypass.

I visited the site last week and Project A resembles an urban motorway reconstruction. The second phase will make the to-open-soon bit seem like a cakewalk by comparison.
Lez Watson
(formerly AVG Evans)
danfw194

Post by danfw194 »

GeorgeEvans wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 09:24 danfw194> Pedestrian crossing? It's not shown on the plan as far as I can see but I imagine HE/SCC they will opt for a cycle/foot-bridge over the A50 at this point.

What little information provided by the authorities about Project B in 2014 seems to have been taken down from the net while they mull over their next move. The issues raised by the locals are numerous so I don't think we'll see much action this year. The difficulties for all parties are complex and more like those found in city road schemes than a 'simple' town bypass.

I visited the site last week and Project A resembles an urban motorway reconstruction. The second phase will make the to-open-soon bit seem like a cakewalk by comparison.
Re the pedestrian crossing, I was just sounding off about the current state of the road. If you're heading eastbound A50 it's especially dangerous as traffic is picking up speed coming away from the roundabout. At least westbound you're already slowing for the roundabout anyway.

It's a tricky situation, because on the face of it the Project B 2014 plans seem perfectly reasonable. But as ever, scratch beneath the surface and it's bound to cause disruption to someone somewhere along the line.
GeorgeEvans

Post by GeorgeEvans »

Hi danfw194,

BTW I seem to remember there was a footbridge where the pedestrian crossing is, but I can't find any evidence for it. Perhaps I was thinking of the one some 100 yards to the east (footpath UT32 and 33)!
Lez Watson
(formerly AVG Evans)
vlad

Post by vlad »

I don't think there's ever been a footbridge anywhere near the western Uttoxeter roundabout. It's always been a "look both ways then leg it" sort of road.

Having said that I have no problems with the current crossing. It's close enough to the roundabout that you're still going fairly slowly when you get to it (or do other people drive far more powerful cars? :) ).
"If you expect nothing from somebody you are never disappointed." - Sylvia Plath
James

Post by James »

The Mcdonalds and petrol station should just go, now there's Uttoxeter services just down the road as they're pretty redundant, although I woud prefer to for them to rebuild a new Mcondalds on that site. Its a good early morning stopof location for me :)

On the north side of the A50 there appears little development apart from the service area. It looks like it should be an easy job, so am wandering why the demolitions of houses are required?
GeorgeEvans

Post by GeorgeEvans »

Yes, the McD and petrol station would go.

One problem for the service area and hotel by the A518 (east) roundabout is that, under the original plans, they would be cut off completely from the improved A50. The planners could put a west-bound in/out slip to the facilities, but then what about the east-bounders?

One possibility would be to complete the GSJ allowed for in the original 'motorway' construction, with a four lane carriageway in both directions between the A518 (east) and A518 (west). This would also have a much lesser destructive impact on the area.

As if (they'd do something that sensible).

Incidentally, there is room for the presumed foot/cycle bridge at the McD position to become a two lane road bridge. It wouldn't be cheap to do, but it is entirely possible. Think of what was achieved at Mier.
Lez Watson
(formerly AVG Evans)
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

I'm not sure which of the two threads we should now use.

The skew bridge of the old LILO GSJ has recently been demolished (see under Latest News here) and a lot of the resulting rubble is still on site. Of the 4 slip roads of the new Project A GSJ, only the two off-slips are yet in use. The old eastbound on-slip (somewhat amended) is still in use. To join the mainline westbound, you can join eastbound and double back at the more westerly of the two flat roundabouts.
GeorgeEvans

Post by GeorgeEvans »

wrinkly wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 19:44 I'm not sure which of the two threads we should now use.
Sorry, that's my fault. I kicked off before looking for one.
wrinkly wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 19:44 The skew bridge of the old LILO GSJ ..... you can join eastbound and double back at the more westerly of the two flat roundabouts.
The latest from Staffs CC...
work begins on Monday, October 8th, when New Road will be completely closed to vehicles in both directions from the Shell garage entrance for approximately 400 yards west towards Tunnicliffe Way. This is to reconstruct the carriageway, install ducts and pipes for future power, broadband and energy supply needs in the area for housing and industry.
Diversions will be clearly signposted and maps showing details are available here or can be found by going to www.staffordshire.gov.uk and searching for ‘A50’.
The A522 will reopen in early December, with the Project A worked planned to finish on Friday, 14 December and again diversions will be in place similar to the earlier closure of the A522.
I'm not aware of any new news on Project B. I suspect it will go to enquiry at England level. We shall see.
Lez Watson
(formerly AVG Evans)
GeorgeEvans

Post by GeorgeEvans »

Admin

Can we merge the two A50 corridor threads please? viewtopic.php?f=1&t=33338

Thanks Lez
Lez Watson
(formerly AVG Evans)
GeorgeEvans

Post by GeorgeEvans »

I've just found this in the Derby Telegraph ->

Council cabinet highways boss Helen Fisher said: " From Monday 8 October, New Road will be closed to vehicles from the Shell garage entrance for approximately 400 yards west towards Tunnicliffe Way.

"This is to reconstruct the carriageway, install ducts and pipes for future power, broadband and energy supply needs in the area for housing and industry.

"The work will also merge the existing New Road into the new A522 carriageway and finalise footpaths, street lights and road markings.

"The full road closure is required for the safety of the workforce due to the restricted width of the existing New Road.

"As with our work on the A50 we will be doing everything we can to ensure vehicles follow the diversion signs, and will be continually assessing the situation and detailing with feedback from residents.

"We are aware of residents’ concerns and are doing what we can to mitigate these, but ask them bear with us while these essential works are carried out."

A wee footnote.
Lez Watson
(formerly AVG Evans)