Stockport Town Centre Access Plan

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Jeni
Banned

Re: Stockport Town Centre Access Plan

Post by Jeni »

And another update. Work has been suspended over the summer while the A6 is closed as this is the main diversion route.

wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

On the one hand it's a pity they couldn't have finished it fully before the A6 closure. On the other hand I'm amazed how much they've done since Saturday.
Jeni
Banned

Post by Jeni »

I was looking at the bridge in particular on Friday and was thinking to myself that there was no way they'll have it ready in time! Turns out I was very wrong!

They must have had all hands on deck!
Jeni
Banned

Post by Jeni »

A6 Masterplan

Interesting reading. Lots of detail towards the end. I like it.

To be honest, the A6 being closed through the town centre for the last couple of months hasn't caused chaos like many (myself included) predicted - people have just adjusted and got on with it. I wonder why they aren't considering a permanent closure?
RichardA626

Post by RichardA626 »

Jeni wrote:A6 Masterplan

To be honest, the A6 being closed through the town centre for the last couple of months hasn't caused chaos like many (myself included) predicted - people have just adjusted and got on with it. I wonder why they aren't considering a permanent closure?
I've found it easier than I expected, apart from one or two tight spots where traffic has to bunch up.
Beware of the trickster on the roof
avtur

Post by avtur »

Jeni wrote:A6 Masterplan

I've only skimmed the document, but it looks as though the long term future of the A6 as a major thorugh route is limited; it looks as though it's capacity through the 'Stockport mile' will be much reduced, some of the artists illustrations give the impression of being almost pedestrianised.
PeterA5145

Post by PeterA5145 »

The new link road between Heaton Lane and the A6 is now open with one lane in each direction, so full completion can't be far away. For the time being, the bottom end of Heaton Lane down to the roundabout by the Crown looks to be closed. There's also substantial progress on the new link between Heaton Lane and the bus station.
Last edited by PeterA5145 on Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:00, edited 1 time in total.
“The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” – Robert A. Heinlein
RichardA626

Post by RichardA626 »

PeterA5145 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 08:09 The new link road between Heaton Lane and the A6 is now open in the eastbound direction, so full completion can't be far away. For the time being, the bottom end of Heaton Lane down to the roundabout by the Crown looks to be closed. There's also substantial progress on the new link between Heaton Lane and the bus station.
I managed to be driven along there last night by chance, I was out celebrating my birthday in Manchester & afterwards my brother offered to drive me home, as there was a seat free as his girlfriend's daughter wasn't able to come along.
Beware of the trickster on the roof
PeterA5145

Post by PeterA5145 »

The link down from the new road to the roundabout by the Crown is now open, although the main line up to the A6 is still coned off to one lane in each direction.
“The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” – Robert A. Heinlein
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

A relatively minor change in the grand scheme of things, but Kingston Street is now one way northbound (instead of southbound) https://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/maps/ind ... 0,-2.16712,

This means northbound traffic from King Street West no longer needs to orbit the Stagecoach depot via Wood Street, Viaduct Street, and Chestergate in order to access the A560, A5145, or M60 anti-clockwise - it's such an obvious change to traffic routing (to not have northbound traffic crossing southbound traffic twice) I'm suprised it didn't happen long ago...
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

c2R wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 13:47 A relatively minor change in the grand scheme of things, but Kingston Street is now one way northbound (instead of southbound) https://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/maps/ind ... 0,-2.16712,

This means northbound traffic from King Street West no longer needs to orbit the Stagecoach depot via Wood Street, Viaduct Street, and Chestergate in order to access the A560, A5145, or M60 anti-clockwise - it's such an obvious change to traffic routing (to not have northbound traffic crossing southbound traffic twice) I'm suprised it didn't happen long ago...
Given this change and all the other TCAP schemes have now created a ring road for Stockport town centre, you'd think the bullet would be bitten and the A6 through the middle handed over to other modes of transport.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

Bryn666 wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 14:04
Given this change and all the other TCAP schemes have now created a ring road for Stockport town centre, you'd think the bullet would be bitten and the A6 through the middle handed over to other modes of transport.
There is definitely a case for reducing the car space along the A6 with these other improvements, but I suspect it's a bit tricky to advocate moving the traffic wholesale past school playgrounds and away from the town centre and creating a road barrier between Edgeley and the station however...

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.4036003 ... 312!8i6656
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
FleetlinePhil

Post by FleetlinePhil »

c2R wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 13:47 A relatively minor change in the grand scheme of things, but Kingston Street is now one way northbound (instead of southbound) https://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/maps/ind ... 0,-2.16712,

Has Kingston Street been modified to be suitable as a through route with this change, and is it signed as such? It's a long time since I worked in Stockport, so I could not recall the street until I looked on GSV. It looked little better than a back alley between factories (although I find GSV tends to make streets look narrower than they really are).
Jeni
Banned

Post by Jeni »

FleetlinePhil wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 16:37

Has Kingston Street been modified to be suitable as a through route with this change, and is it signed as such? It's a long time since I worked in Stockport, so I could not recall the street until I looked on GSV. It looked little better than a back alley between factories (although I find GSV tends to make streets look narrower than they really are).
Yes it has, though it had remained closed for a good few months
FleetlinePhil

Post by FleetlinePhil »

Jeni wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 16:45
FleetlinePhil wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 16:37

Yes it has, though it had remained closed for a good few months
Thanks - I keep meaning to get over to Stockport but it hasn't happened.