Congleton "Link Road"

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

roadphotos

Re: Congleton "Link Road"

Post by roadphotos »

At last an opening date. The Congleton Link Road is opening to traffic on April 19th. Does anyone know what road reclassifications are due to take place after the opening ?.
mikehindsonevans

Post by mikehindsonevans »

Euan wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 19:20
RickyB_uk wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 16:30 The scheme timetable has been updated:
* Ground investigation works already under way
* Utility diversion + ecolological management gets underway in January 2019
* Main earthworks commence in March 2019
* Back Lane East in Somerford complete by June 2019
* Full scheme open to traffic: late-2020

"Back Lane East" is I think a new link from the existing Back Lane at the edge of Congleton's urban area towards Third Avenue in the Radnor Park Trading Estate as well as a realignment of the existing route north of there where there will be a roundabout with the new Link Road.

The timeframe looks similar to the Alderley bypass, which got underway at the start of 2009 and opened in November 2010 (although the original timeframe for that was a Summer 2011 opening).
Maybe the completion date estimate was based on what had been learned during the construction of the Alderley bypass - perhaps the date for the Congleton bypass would have been summer 2021 otherwise!
Hmm, "careful what you wish for" 😊. It will be nice to see this work completed before mid-Summer.
Mike Hindson-Evans.
Never argue with a conspiracy theorist.
They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
roadphotos

Post by roadphotos »

Opening date is April the 19th
bikingbunny

Post by bikingbunny »

roadphotos wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 19:26 At last an opening date. The Congleton Link Road is opening to traffic on April 19th. Does anyone know what road reclassifications are due to take place after the opening ?.
The section between the Macclesfield Road roundabout at Eaton to Congleton Town centre has been already redesignated as the A5365. The new road will be locally named as the Wolstenholme Elmy Way – after Congleton’s famous pioneering educationalist and campaigner for votes for women, Elizabeth Clarke Wolstenholme Elmy.

For anybody that's interested although the official opening date is 19th April, over the weekend of 16th/17th/18th April the road will be open to predestinarians and cyclists to try out. Opening from 5pm on the 16th, ahead of the official opening on Monday morning. The plan is to have a parade of vintage cars along the new road before it's finally let loose on the general public.
bikingbunny

Post by bikingbunny »

roadphotos wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 19:26 At last an opening date. The Congleton Link Road is opening to traffic on April 19th. Does anyone know what road reclassifications are due to take place after the opening ?.
The new bypass is will be known as the A536 it will now finish at the roundabout of the A534 - Sandbach Road.
RickyB_uk

Post by RickyB_uk »

The Congleton Link Road opens at 5pm tonight, and over the weekend, for pedestrians and cyclists to use.

Official opening is on Monday 19th at noon
bikingbunny

Post by bikingbunny »

RickyB_uk wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:19 The Congleton Link Road opens at 5pm tonight, and over the weekend, for pedestrians and cyclists to use.

Been on it this afternoon. Having another ride on it on Sunday, before going onto 4 wheels on Monday afternoon! Thanks for time on Monday I'll be there! :D :)
https://youtu.be/rBCIe3ntLM4

One completed by-pass!
RickyB_uk

Post by RickyB_uk »

bikingbunny wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 23:47
RickyB_uk wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:19 The Congleton Link Road opens at 5pm tonight, and over the weekend, for pedestrians and cyclists to use.

Been on it this afternoon. Having another ride on it on Sunday, before going onto 4 wheels on Monday afternoon! Thanks for time on Monday I'll be there! :D :)
Might be worth checking the exact opening time. It says there's a ribbon cutting ceremony with the councillors + contractor - then a historic vehicle parade. Not 100% sure when "ordinary" cars can use it as normal.
SteveA30

Post by SteveA30 »

Depending on the level of ceremony, there could 2-3 hours between official and actual opening. This was the A30 in March 1993 near Lifton. Speeches, tape cutting, photo session, a coach trip along the new road, then clearing up afterwards. A final check by Police and Highways that the road is ready then, a local in a vintage car led the first traffic. The 2 lorries were from local firms. Ginsters pasties on the left.
Attachments
March 23 1993
March 23 1993
new A30 3.jpg
Roads and holidays in the west, before motorways.
http://trektothewest.shutterfly.com
http://holidayroads.webs.com/
bikingbunny

Post by bikingbunny »

SteveA30 wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 08:02 Depending on the level of ceremony, there could 2-3 hours between official and actual opening. This was the A30 in March 1993 near Lifton. Speeches, tape cutting, photo session, a coach trip along the new road, then clearing up afterwards. A final check by Police and Highways that the road is ready then, a local in a vintage car led the first traffic. The 2 lorries were from local firms. Ginsters pasties on the left.
It's as basic as you can get it. Thankfully no Government representation. Just a very simple ribbon cut and a vintage classic car parade.
RickyB_uk

Post by RickyB_uk »

Some snaps from a cycle along the Congleton Link Road yesterday afternoon - organised roughly west to east. Road is NSL throughout - except for a 50mph section with a long 90 degree bend between the A54 and Back Lane.

Looking east at the curve looking at the Chelford Road overpass. Speed limit is 50 here

Back Lane roundabout - looking West - 50 mph until the A54 junction when going west.

Back Lane roundabout - looking East - speed limit returns to NSL

River Dane bridge - looking East

Giantswood Lane overpass - looking east towards A34 junction

East of the A34 - looking East - with the Bosley Cloud hill visible.
RickyB_uk

Post by RickyB_uk »

vlad wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 21:01
Truvelo wrote:In reality I expect most traffic will use Wallhill Lane which will become a ratrun.
It's already got a weight limit - if traffic starts using it it'll get chicanes and sleeping policemen as well.

(I'm wondering if it's going to be easier for A34 traffic just to continue along its present route.)
I had a quick look down Wallhill Lane to see what they've done. There's a new 40mph speed limit - with "gateway" treatment and a prominent speed camera sign - and two chicanes - both with northbound priority - one of these is a natural road narrowing that was already there prior to the works. Didn't see a fixed speed camera, but there's a build out for police vehicles.

Otherwise seemed a pretty good route. Unclear if this is going to be quicker than the existing route or not - looks slightly longer, but you don't have to go through the 30 zones in the middle of Congleton - or get through the central roundabouts that can have queues building up at certain times of day. Edit: Old route is about 4 miles (mainly at 30/40). New route would be 4.75 miles (at 40/50/NSL)
fras

Post by fras »

RickyB_uk wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 15:25
vlad wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 21:01
Truvelo wrote:In reality I expect most traffic will use Wallhill Lane which will become a ratrun.
It's already got a weight limit - if traffic starts using it it'll get chicanes and sleeping policemen as well.

(I'm wondering if it's going to be easier for A34 traffic just to continue along its present route.)
I had a quick look down Wallhill Lane to see what they've done. There's a new 40mph speed limit - with "gateway" treatment and a prominent speed camera sign - and two chicanes - both with northbound priority - one of these is a natural road narrowing that was already there prior to the works. Didn't see a fixed speed camera, but there's a build out for police vehicles.

Otherwise seemed a pretty good route. Unclear if this is going to be quicker than the existing route or not - looks slightly longer, but you don't have to go through the 30 zones in the middle of Congleton - or get through the central roundabouts that can have queues building up at certain times of day. Edit: Old route is about 4 miles (mainly at 30/40). New route would be 4.75 miles (at 40/50/NSL)
So, as per the M6 SMART motorway works and its 50 mph limit, all the foreign trucks can ignore whatever the council put up in the knowledge they will never be brought to book. Why the extra money could not have been found to extend the Link Road south to the A34 is a mystery.
SteveA30

Post by SteveA30 »

I can't find it on an online map but, based on the info, I would think A34 traffic could use Box Lane and Padgbury Lane from the A54 to A34.
Roads and holidays in the west, before motorways.
http://trektothewest.shutterfly.com
http://holidayroads.webs.com/
fras

Post by fras »

SteveA30 wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 20:40 I can't find it on an online map but, based on the info, I would think A34 traffic could use Box Lane and Padgbury Lane from the A54 to A34.
You're quite correct, but I suspect the council would rather they didn't, especially HGVs ! Anyway, we'll soon know how it all goes.
RickyB_uk

Post by RickyB_uk »

SteveA30 wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 20:40 I can't find it on an online map but, based on the info, I would think A34 traffic could use Box Lane and Padgbury Lane from the A54 to A34.
That's possible, but would be like 2-sides of a triangle compared to travelling through the town centre.

Compared to using the bypass to the end and then Wallhill Lane + Brownlow Heath Lane - it's almost a mile longer to use Box Lane + Padgbury Lane - and on slower roads.

I think there's only 2 reasonable routes - the existing route through the town centre - and the bypass, plus Wallhill Lane. On the attached map I've highlighed the route from the end of the bypass to the A34 via Wallhill Lane in Blue, and the route from the A54 bypass roundabout to the A34 via Padgbury Lane in Green
Attachments
CongletonMap.JPG
RickyB_uk

Post by RickyB_uk »

The ribbon has been cut in a small ceremony.

Next is the classic car procession.

Edit: Now open for motorists.
RickyB_uk

Post by RickyB_uk »

North/Eastbound Journey

West/Southbound Journey

Both filmed about an hour after opening.
Stevie D

Post by Stevie D »

What I wouldn't give right now for a voodoo doll of the person who designed those roundabouts 😡
bikingbunny

Post by bikingbunny »

RickyB_uk wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 13:33 Some snaps from a cycle along the Congleton Link Road yesterday afternoon - organised roughly west to east. Road is NSL throughout - except for a 50mph section with a long 90 degree bend between the A54 and Back Lane.

Looking east at the curve looking at the Chelford Road overpass. Speed limit is 50 here

Back Lane roundabout - looking West - 50 mph until the A54 junction when going west.

Back Lane roundabout - looking East - speed limit returns to NSL

River Dane bridge - looking East

Giantswood Lane overpass - looking east towards A34 junction

That curve is awesome whether you are in a car or on a bike. But I can see it becoming an accident black spot in time, especially in the winter time when the sun is low heading from Back lane direction towards the A54 roundabout!

East of the A34 - looking East - with the Bosley Cloud hill visible.