Congleton "Link Road"

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

PeterA5145

Re: Congleton "Link Road"

Post by PeterA5145 »

Surely this is essentially a "development road" rather than a bypass, as indicated by the roundabouts giving access to two industrial estates. The only significant through movement it caters for is from Macclesfield along the A536 to the southbound M6 at Junction 17. Having said that, surely there are no engineering challenges to extending it to meet the A34 south of Astbury, which would take a lot of through traffic out of Congleton.

At least it's mostly :nsl:, which must have stuck in a few craws at Cheshire East.

The lane allocation on the roundabouts does seem a bit odd, but they don't have that very sharp deflection typical of many modern roundabouts.
“The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” – Robert A. Heinlein
Duple

Post by Duple »

PeterA5145 wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 15:27 Surely this is essentially a "development road" rather than a bypass, as indicated by the roundabouts giving access to two industrial estates. The only significant through movement it caters for is from Macclesfield along the A536 to the southbound M6 at Junction 17. Having said that, surely there are no engineering challenges to extending it to meet the A34 south of Astbury, which would take a lot of through traffic out of Congleton.

At least it's mostly :nsl:, which must have stuck in a few craws at Cheshire East.

The lane allocation on the roundabouts does seem a bit odd, but they don't have that very sharp deflection typical of many modern roundabouts.
Some residents stated when all the consultations began that 3/4 years post building the difference will be negligible (this isn't the first proposed "bypass" of Congleton one was stopped in the 90s for similar concerns, I do agree with them though and I think the whole idea behind it all in the first place was to get some nice accesses in for all the farmland the housing developers have gobbled up. I think the fact it is helping through traffic is a side effect rather than an intention.

The link to the A34 is "coming" but the council is apparently pushing a housing developer to build it.. god forbid !! I think there is an argument going on as the area is very rich in Silica Sand and the current land owner doesn't want to give it up, it would also be out of the Congleton town boundary and the parish council on that side is quite vocal about modern buildings :lol:
AAndy

Post by AAndy »

2 years Wednesday since this 'bypass' was opened.... A video from last week if anyone is interested . https://youtu.be/Ck_XVaJwR3A .

It seems that Dane valley roundabout has had a long term lane closure, I would guess from it being too narrow :shock:
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

AAndy wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 19:39 2 years Wednesday since this 'bypass' was opened.... A video from last week if anyone is interested . https://youtu.be/Ck_XVaJwR3A .

It seems that Dane valley roundabout has had a long term lane closure, I would guess from it being too narrow :shock:
Do the roundabout exits to the left and right currently lead to nowhere? That may explain the lane closure.
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
Duple

Post by Duple »

AAndy wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 19:39 2 years Wednesday since this 'bypass' was opened.... A video from last week if anyone is interested . https://youtu.be/Ck_XVaJwR3A .

They have been closed because people kept "missing" the roundabout and driving into it.

They have now installed street lighting to help prevent this...